Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,112,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
He believes it is up to us to spread the good news, .
yes, Christians should Spread the Gospel.
My comments about my not really being concerned at all , are really aimed at the End Time teachings.

I have found that all the End Time teaching amount to squat in the real Christian's life.

they don't make any difference.
But I do think that each Christian has a right and a duty to spread the Good News that the cross offers us the chance for life everlasting.
All you have to do is believe.

This New is a far superior covenant than the Old covenant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
No, Jesus came to complete the pre ordained plan, God promised Eve in the garden-to die for our sins- Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost. We can still learn from the old testament furthermore we still follow doctrines of the old testament unless told not to in the New Testament. It is all God's word.

When I was a Christian, I selectively quoted OT scripture to support some of my arguments, and at the same time claimed OT scripture was superseded by the NT when it suited my interest in other arguments. I never tried to find a coherent way to explain why some OT scripture was still in effect, and yet others had been abrogated by the coming of Jesus.

I was intellectually dishonest.
Quote:
Those born of an illicit union shall not be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Even to the tenth generation, none of their descendants shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD.(Deut. 23:2)
My question to you is, should children who were born out of weddlock, or even their children's children, be allowed in Church? Is this still God's law?

If not, why not?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Box...I believe that every verse of the Old T has to be read in the "light" of the New T....

all the laws and rules and things that the Jews were told to keep, got nailed to a cross.
"It is finished"

It's like...umm...it's like when a guy gets married.
You give your vow to a girl , that you will forsake all others, "Until death us do part"

But if down the line your dear wife should die, then the vow you made to her "Is finished"
The vow is not killed, or done away with, rather it has finished it's lifespan.
And then, being now freed from the vow, you are now free to seek another wife.

This is not adultery, this is a normal way for one thing to end and another to begin.

The same is true for all the laws and rules of the Old T.
They served the Jews for until the Lord died.
At that moment, their time of effect came to a natural ending, and a New Covenant sprung to life.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Makes sense to me Alan, thanks.

I wonder how Fundamentalist (and Tony) reads this quote:

Quote:
If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his town at the gate of that place. They shall say to the elders of his town, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard." Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death. So you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel will hear, and be afraid.(Deut. 21:18-21)
Is this still valid Christian law? If not, why not?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

another way to think of the relationship of the Old T and the New T Christian is....is like a kid going to 3rd grade.

When the child is old enough to enter 3rd grade he must learn to do all that his teacher says.
He grades will depend on how well he listens to the teacher and does what he is told.
However once the child has grown into an adult, he no longer shows up each day at the same 3rd grade school room, expecting to be received in the same manner he was when as a small child.

In deed, if an adult should do such a thing as to try and remain forever in the 3rd grade we might send them off to the funny farm.

So while a child is under the control of the 3rd grade teacher he must do as that teacher instructs.
But when the child has grown and is an adult, then you don't have to do anything that 3rd grade teacher might still try to boss you around with.

The same is true with the laws of the Old T and the people that try to force Christians under the Old T laws...

Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
This thread is going to be a great revealer of hearts .Out of the heart flows the issues of life comes to mind .

Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,966,099 times
Quote:
Isn't that the reason why Jesus Christ came, to set the record straight, so to speak.

Yes, I think so.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Box...I believe that every verse of the Old T has to be read in the "light" of the New T....

all the laws and rules and things that the Jews were told to keep, got nailed to a cross.
"It is finished"

It's like...umm...it's like when a guy gets married.
You give your vow to a girl , that you will forsake all others, "Until death us do part"

But if down the line your dear wife should die, then the vow you made to her "Is finished"
The vow is not killed, or done away with, rather it has finished it's lifespan.
And then, being now freed from the vow, you are now free to seek another wife.

This is not adultery, this is a normal way for one thing to end and another to begin.

The same is true for all the laws and rules of the Old T.
They served the Jews for until the Lord died.
At that moment, their time of effect came to a natural ending, and a New Covenant sprung to life.
Good analogy. But, don't Jews disagree with Christians as to Jesus Christ being the Son of God and thereby still stuck in the OT?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Good analogy. But, don't Jews disagree with Christians as to Jesus Christ being the Son of God and thereby still stuck in the OT?
Painfully , perhaps yes...

God is not a silly person that he holds people to give account for keeping laws that they never heard of.
I trust God will judge the Jews, and all people according to his own wisdom.

However, it is true that Jews that have rejected Christ cant thereby think that they are "saved" under the law.

The truth is, that the Law condemns them too.
The moment any try to live by the law, they stand condemned because of the law...
The Law was to serve the Jews as a school teacher that brings them to Christ...the Law has no other job.

So in a very real way, the Jews that have rejected Christ are boats without a rudder.
The Jehovah of the Old T that they put their hope in, is actually Jesus Christ who died on a cross for them.

so, My hope is that God will judge all with wisdom...But the need to reach out to the Jews and all the world with the Christian message is very real...
For it is by hearing that many can receive the salvation offer to all men in Christ

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

I wonder how Fundamentalist (and Tony) reads this quote:

In today's world, people don't even consider bringing their disobedient child in front of the elders or priest or deacons or ministers, much less stone them. Christ never spoke of such things, for he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Since all have sinned who could cast that stone? So I would say that is out with the old.
I believe there are bad seeds in human life and sometimes it is the environment in which the child grows up in that is not good for solid upbringing. No matter how difficult it is to change a child from his own undoing, a good parent feels obligated to continue to reach that child and in hope that one day he or she will change. But, that doesn't always work in this world, for this world delivers up much temptation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity