Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

We hear about horrible the world has become.. its immoral.. there is a culture war.. blah blah blah (picture Glenn Beck's head exploding)..

Given base assumptions:

Man lands plane in Hudson <-- God given credit
Cardio Surgeon saves a life <-- God given credit

Scenario:

Life expectancy has increased dramatically in the last 100 years or so.. 20th century average life expectancy was 30-40 years.. I'd be almost dead now.

Life expectancy now is almost 70 years..

SCIENCE gets the credit here right? However, using the base assumptions above that if something good happens God gets the credit.. then my question is...

Why would God... want us to live longer lives.. in an immoral horrible place?

I don't get it.. doesn't make sense to me..

Logical conclusion is we live in a less immoral and horrible place right?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
SCIENCE gets the credit here right? However, using the base assumptions above that if something good happens God gets the credit.. then my question is...

Why would God... want us to live longer lives.. in an immoral horrible place?

I don't get it.. doesn't make sense to me..

Logical conclusion is we live in a less immoral and horrible place right?

Thoughts?
So that we can give Him the glory, we are to tell others about Christ. The longer we are here the more people we can tell and the more people we can help etc....etc....All this gives God the glory. He does what gives Him the glory.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
So that we can give Him the glory, we are to tell others about Christ. The longer we are here the more people we can tell and the more people we can help etc....etc....All this gives God the glory. He does what gives Him the glory.
So why didn't that need to happen prior to the 21st century?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
So why didn't that need to happen prior to the 21st century?
You got me. I have theories (the gospel is need now more than ever; that 200 years ago unbelievers acted more Christian than most believers today) but they are only theories. All I know everything that happens is His will and gives Him the glory. To try to figure out those questions will drive me insane.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You got me. I have theories (the gospel is need now more than ever; that 200 years ago unbelievers acted more Christian than most believers today) but they are only theories.
Do you really think that? That some how society in the 20th century and prior was somehow more Christian than now? I guess just off the top of my head I see like zero evidence of that..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
God loves everybody,He wants all of us to turn our lives over to Him,to walk in His ways to find true happiness in Him. Sure this is an immoral world and its not getting better its getting worse and unless we see people wanting the ways of the Lord,instead of worldly ways,it will continue to worsen.

This is a horrible world we live in ,but it is caused by man himself,sure we have technology and medicine that is causing us to live longer ,but if man continues to keep putting trust in the things of the world and not God,how will he attain the kingdom of Heaven. It seems that man(unbeliever) only puts trust in things that he can see(the tangibles of the world) and by not having faith in things he can't see,which is the Lord. Maybe God has it orchestrated that by living longer that we become wiser as we age and turn our eyes to Him and off of worldly things.

Last edited by noland123; 06-22-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Do you really think that? That some how society in the 20th century and prior was somehow more Christian than now? I guess just off the top of my head I see like zero evidence of that..
I believe that there was a drive in more Christians to spread the gospel back then then there is now. It's just that today we have the tools, technology etc....For whatever purpose God allowed that...I don't know but that is what I believe.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
God loves everybody,He wants all of us to turn our lives over to Him,to walk in His ways to find true happiness in Him. Sure this is an immoral world and its not getting better its getting worse and unless we see people wanting the ways of the Lord,instead of worldly ways,it will continue to worsen.

This is a horrible world we live in ,but it is caused by man himself,sure we have technology and medicine that is causing us to live longer ,but if man continues to keep putting trust in the things of the world and not God,what is the meaning of life. It seems that man(unbeliever) only puts trust in things that he can see(the tangibles of the world) and by not having faith in things he can't see,which is the Lord. Maybe God has it orchestrated that by living longer that we become wiser as we age and turn our eyes to Him and off of worldly things.
how is this world less moral than previous times in history?

compare and contrast..

I'll help with the layout:

1. Good things about the current point in time
2. Bad things about the current point in time

vs..

1. Good things about a historical pre-21st century point in time
2. Bad things about a historical pre-21st century piont in time

discuss..

My bet is.. that on the whole.. the time period we are in right now is like magnitudes more moral than at anytime in history..

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
It's too "easy" to question.

It's extremely "difficult" to keep the faith.

It's all about mental character.

Strong humans Versus Weak ones

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM

43 posts, read 146,774 times
Quote:
how is this world less moral than previous times in history?

My bet is.. that on the whole.. the time period we are in right now is like magnitudes more moral than at anytime in history..
I would agree with you on that to a degree. At least it appears we are more humane based on our laws but there are still a lot of inhumane people even in the US of A. The sex slave market still prospers but it prospered 2000 years ago as well. There are still many starving people with no access to proper health care etc... here in America, not just in third world countries.

Jesus went out into the desert for 40 days and nights to spend time with God. Sure satan tempted him there but how long did that take - a half hour at most? { This is just a guess on my part as I have no idea when or for how long Christ was tempted} Jesus had to already be at the point of starvation before satan tempted Him by telling Him to just kick out a minor miracle and turn stones to bread. I guess Jesus was doing what He had to do for Himself so He would be ready for the job He was getting ready to do.

The Israelites stomped around the desert for 40 years getting from Egypt to the promised land and not one of those that started the journey ended it ( I am told) and it is only a 2 week trip ( I am also told) I guess they needed the time for God to work with them to get them ready.

I don't think it matters when you lived or how long you live or not even really what life is like when you do it. I think what matters is what you do with the time you get when you get it. God knows how hard your life was or was not. He knows if you opened up to Him and accepted His Son or not (assuming you were born after Christ was given) and then what you did about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity