Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times

Advertisements

Fulfill your purpose, be it what it may.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
yea more fire and brimstone just what we need.

Nobody really listens to the pope anyway, he has lost his credibility, but I guess he feels the need to crack the whip to try to keep the peasants in line.
We have a faithful catholic here

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

173 posts, read 328,500 times
Quote:

Nobody really listens to the pope anyway, he has lost his credibility, but I guess he feels the need to crack the whip to try to keep the peasants in line.

Oh come on, give your pope a chance to prove himself ... after all, he's the "infallible" pope ... oh, except when he makes mistakes !!!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
He(the pope) really does look like Emperor Palpatine(the dark Sith Lord) though ... I mean really ...

Old 07-01-2009, 10:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
God's gonna get cha!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I have to admit I just haven't warmed to him like I did John Paul II.

It's like when I was a kid. We had this old priest who was a really sweet guy. I really admired him and that the parish seemed to mock him as a boring old fuddy-duddy just made me like him more. Then he had a stroke and the new priest came. I didn't ever warm to the new guy. Oddly the guy who replaced him I did warm too.

John Paul II was Pope from my first awareness of things to well into my adulthood. So I feel bad about it, but I haven't warmed to this one. (Although another factor is I think John Paul II was conservative without seeming...well backward. He traveled, he socialized, he listened to modern music, etc. Some prefer Benedict as he's tougher on the abuse thing, but I find him more remote in some respects.)

Old 07-02-2009, 12:38 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:

Go back to your dark room, so you can brude.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Oh come on, give your pope a chance to prove himself ... after all, he's the "infallible" pope ... oh, except when he makes mistakes !!!

I need to shut you up. I'm gonna have to give up on doctrine and use my charming skills

Old 07-02-2009, 01:00 AM

106 posts, read 136,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ROME — Hell is a place where sinners really do burn in an everlasting fire, and not just a religious symbol designed to galvanize the faithful, the Pope said.

Addressing a parish gathering in a northern suburb of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI said that in the modern world many people, including some believers, had forgotten that if they failed to "admit blame and promise to sin no more," they risked "eternal damnation — the Inferno."

FOXNews.com - Pope: Hell Is a Real Place Where Sinners Burn in Everlasting Fire - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Good luck not sinning. xD

Love will not throw a human being into an everlasting flame to burn forever. It simply isn't love, if a being were to do that.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I have to admit I just haven't warmed to him like I did John Paul II.

It's like when I was a kid. We had this old priest who was a really sweet guy. I really admired him and that the parish seemed to mock him as a boring old fuddy-duddy just made me like him more. Then he had a stroke and the new priest came. I didn't ever warm to the new guy. Oddly the guy who replaced him I did warm too.

John Paul II was Pope from my first awareness of things to well into my adulthood. So I feel bad about it, but I haven't warmed to this one. (Although another factor is I think John Paul II was conservative without seeming...well backward. He traveled, he socialized, he listened to modern music, etc. Some prefer Benedict as he's tougher on the abuse thing, but I find him more remote in some respects.)
You fell in love with the rock star image, John Paul II was very backwards, he was backwards back at Vatican II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity