Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,032,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

Didn't expect this, Reverend.
Sorry Colossus, I'm sure I never misled anyone on my beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,339,689 times
something I wonder about the doctrine of hellfire

if it's a literal fire, and mortal men are literally thrown into it, wouldn't they not instantly vanish? - where does the bible say the wicked gain or have immortality?

if it's a literal fire, and immortal, indestructible men are literally trown into it, why would they suffer? we expect immortal beings also to be invulnerable and imperishable; ever burning yet never consumed, thats a foolish notion I think, unscriptural and blasphemous in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM

257 posts, read 444,596 times
It is not clear yet wether or not I've recieved a free pass at this forum, as some seem to have recieved, for the practice of freedom of speech.

So, until I get mine, I'll try, honestly try, to say what I know is true, even if by the use of a cloaking device of sorts, as seems to be the manner of some, though it goes against my most inner most princibles.

On page 98 and 99 of a book entitled, What Catholics Really Believe, the author compares a sermon of a unitarian teacher, with the sermon of a Catholic priest. The subject is hell.

The unitarian preacher denies the existance of hell, while the Catholic priest warns of the reality of hell.

The point made by the author in comparing the two, is that the priest was acting in a more charitable manner, because it would be uncharitable not to warn people about hell.

Though I am not a RC, it is my position to agree with the Catholics on this issue.

But pergatory, I do not agree with.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,391,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Ok then, I'll put it like all the biblers do. I have faith and I know through that faith that what I said is true to me. How's that?
LOL! Now, now, Reverend! I think you're having fun with me.

Actually, most biblers (if I understand the term correctly) use the Bible as their source of truth. If it's in the Bible, it must be true! That position tends to infuriate and/or frustrate those who don't think the Bible is 100% accurate.

Should we call a truce now?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,490,249 times
So a person who rejects Christianity because his priest couldn't keep his hands or mouth off of him will burn in the loving God's hell.

Well no wonder they call it good news!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
LOL! Now, now, Reverend! I think you're having fun with me.

Actually, most biblers (if I understand the term correctly) use the Bible as their source of truth. If it's in the Bible, it must be true! That position tends to infuriate and/or frustrate those who don't think the Bible is 100% accurate.

Should we call a truce now?
Truce!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,778,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
It is not clear yet wether or not I've recieved a free pass at this forum, as some seem to have recieved, for the practice of freedom of speech.

So, until I get mine, I'll try, honestly try, to say what I know is true, even if by the use of a cloaking device of sorts, as seems to be the manner of some, though it goes against my most inner most princibles.

On page 98 and 99 of a book entitled, What Catholics Really Believe, the author compares a sermon of a unitarian teacher, with the sermon of a Catholic priest. The subject is hell.

The unitarian preacher denies the existance of hell, while the Catholic priest warns of the reality of hell.

The point made by the author in comparing the two, is that the priest was acting in a more charitable manner, because it would be uncharitable not to warn people about hell.

Though I am not a RC, it is my position to agree with the Catholics on this issue.

But pergatory, I do not agree with.
HOLY MOLY..........You.....Agree with the........Catholic Church?.....You better not say that too loud.

As for purgatory, do you know the biblical bases for it, and what we ACTUALLY teach what it is?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM

257 posts, read 444,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
HOLY MOLY..........You.....Agree with the........Catholic Church?.....You better not say that too loud.

As for purgatory, do you know the biblical bases for it, and what we ACTUALLY teach what it is?
Truth is not Catholic or Protestant, but is JESUS CHRIST. The Words spoken by JESUS CHRIST is the eternal Truth.

Any one who agrees with a teaching of our LORD JESUS, is agreeing to a truth.

The doctrine of purgatory is based upon a failure to understand a few Old Testament scriptures, in the glorious Light of the New Testament scriptures.

Just as teaching there is no hell is a dangerous doctrine, teaching purgatory is also dangerous and misleading to those who have a half hearted view about being a Christian.

Our desire should be to live as CHRIST. Not to meet minimum reqiurements for salvation, thinking that if we fall short of the mark, there will be purgatory as insurance. I'm not saying that all Catholics have that attitude, but maybe some do. And maybe some non-Catholics believe that somehow they will have a second chance after they pass away.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Ok then, I'll put it like all the biblers do. I have faith and I know through that faith that what I said is true to me. How's that?
Biblers????

Ah, that's right, you've been palling around with those logikal un-christers lately, haven't you

Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Biblers????

Ah, that's right, you've been palling around with those logikal un-christers lately, haven't you
They are more accepting of me and my beliefs than the biblers.
Gets old talking to people who think one sided!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity