Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

i know i know the church keeps saying that. wow i know a whole lota people that are betting so very heavy that its all baloney. but from where i am sitting its looks that most of them are in hell already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
Truth is not Catholic or Protestant, but is JESUS CHRIST. The Words spoken by JESUS CHRIST is the eternal Truth.

Any one who agrees with a teaching of our LORD JESUS, is agreeing to a truth.

The doctrine of purgatory is based upon a failure to understand a few Old Testament scriptures, in the glorious Light of the New Testament scriptures.

Just as teaching there is no hell is a dangerous doctrine, teaching purgatory is also dangerous and misleading to those who have a half hearted view about being a Christian.

Our desire should be to live as CHRIST. Not to meet minimum reqiurements for salvation, thinking that if we fall short of the mark, there will be purgatory as insurance. I'm not saying that all Catholics have that attitude, but maybe some do. And maybe some non-Catholics believe that somehow they will have a second chance after they pass away.

I can see by your post that you are misunderstand the doctrine of purgatory. You might want to research more of what we teach about it.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I can see by your post that you are misunderstand the doctrine of purgatory. You might want to research more of what we teach about it.
I don't doubt what you say about some people (myself included) not having a clear understanding of the Catholic teaching on purgatory. I know I've read up on it in the past, but I don't remember the specifics.

However, the view that ForHimByHim expressed is what I usually hear directly from most of the Catholics I know. Perhaps they are the "marginal" ones who don't really know correct doctrine. However, if the unchurched Catholics (the ones who've been Catholic all their lives, who were born Catholic, who claim the Catholic creed but rarely attend services although they have been baptized and attended catechism) have this view of purgatory, it seems the Catholic church isn't doing a very good job of teaching the concept of purgatory.

I have to agree with ForHimByHim when he/she states:

Quote:
Just as teaching there is no hell is a dangerous doctrine, teaching purgatory is also dangerous and misleading to those who have a half hearted view about being a Christian.

Our desire should be to live as CHRIST. Not to meet minimum reqiurements for salvation, thinking that if we fall short of the mark, there will be purgatory as insurance. I'm not saying that all Catholics have that attitude, but maybe some do. And maybe some non-Catholics believe that somehow they will have a second chance after they pass away.
I know way too many people who are content to enter heaven by the skin of their teeth. (Their words, not mine.) They don't really desire the relationship with Christ or the obedience that should be a natural byproduct of said relationship. They're simply accepting the basic precepts of Christianity as fire insurance, not because of a heart-felt desire to know God.

If they think they can live their lives as they please and still get into heaven, there's really no incentive for them to delve deeper into their beliefs and examine themselves in light of God's Word.

While I don't believe in scaring people into heaven, I think it's dangerous ground to teach that even the unrepentant will eventually make it into heaven. In my opinion, the biblical evidence for such a position pales in comparison to the passages that warn of a dire fate for the unrepentant.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I don't doubt what you say about some people (myself included) not having a clear understanding of the Catholic teaching on purgatory. I know I've read up on it in the past, but I don't remember the specifics.

However, the view that ForHimByHim expressed is what I usually hear directly from most of the Catholics I know. Perhaps they are the "marginal" ones who don't really know correct doctrine. However, if the unchurched Catholics (the ones who've been Catholic all their lives, who were born Catholic, who claim the Catholic creed but rarely attend services although they have been baptized and attended catechism) have this view of purgatory, it seems the Catholic church isn't doing a very good job of teaching the concept of purgatory.

I have to agree with ForHimByHim when he/she states:

I know way too many people who are content to enter heaven by the skin of their teeth. (Their words, not mine.) They don't really desire the relationship with Christ or the obedience that should be a natural byproduct of said relationship. They're simply accepting the basic precepts of Christianity as fire insurance, not because of a heart-felt desire to know God.

If they think they can live their lives as they please and still get into heaven, there's really no incentive for them to delve deeper into their beliefs and examine themselves in light of God's Word.

While I don't believe in scaring people into heaven, I think it's dangerous ground to teach that even the unrepentant will eventually make it into heaven. In my opinion, the biblical evidence for such a position pales in comparison to the passages that warn of a dire fate for the unrepentant.
I agree that the church needs to do a better Job and teaching it laypeople what The Church teaches. It is a Big problem. But as I said, if you understood what is actually taught and why it is scripturally taught then you might have a different opinion. Purgatory is by NO means, a second chance. You either make it to heaven, or you're heading South.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
How do you know Catholicism is a lie? You don't know it's a lie anymore than I know Protestantism is a lie.

And if you knew anything at all about Catholicism, you'd know that's simply NOT true!
What I do know is: I don't need a POPE to tell me hell is REAL! I believe what GOD HIMSELF have to say on the subject! For me, that's good enough.

PS: Don't read more into what I've stated, take it literally, thanks.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM

257 posts, read 444,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Before writing the above post, I did read the Catholic doctrine of purgatory, as presented by Karl Keating who is a Catholic lay leader. His book entitled, What Catholics Really Believe, bears the endorsement of an Archdiocese.

Because of copywrite protection, I can only make general referances to the book, but do not think my understanding of that Catholic doctrine is essentially off the mark.

In fact, the history channel presented more ancient views about purgatory, which suggested the view that it is more of a hell like place of suffering than a semi heavenly state, which seems to be the more current opinion of modern Catholics.

But even so, the modern Catholic opinion which I've read, suggest that purgatory is not Heaven, then goes on to suggest it is a part of Heaven, but not the main part of Heaven.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
Before writing the above post, I did read the Catholic doctrine of purgatory, as presented by Karl Keating who is a Catholic lay leader. His book entitled, What Catholics Really Believe, bears the endorsement of an Archdiocese.

Because of copywrite protection, I can only make general referances to the book, but do not think my understanding of that Catholic doctrine is essentially off the mark.

In fact, the history channel presented more ancient views about purgatory, which suggested the view that it is more of a hell like place of suffering than a semi heavenly state, which seems to be the more current opinion of modern Catholics.

But even so, the modern Catholic opinion which I've read, suggest that purgatory is not Heaven, then goes on to suggest it is a part of Heaven, but not the main part of Heaven.
Simply it's the proccess we go through on our way to heaven so We become pure, with out any stain of sin, for nothing impure shall enter heaven.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Some have a longer stay, cause some are a little more "impure" than others if you know what I mean.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
Some people are perfectly pure and will go to Heaven.

Some people are extremely evil and will go straight to Hell.

Where does that put the rest of us? We try with all of our might to follow the Good Book. We are human and sometimes slip up. Do we deserve eternal damnation for our venial sins? A Merciful God knows what is in our hearts. He know we needs to be cleansed of our minor sins. We are not pure enough to enter Heaven and we are not bad enough to be punished in Hell. Purgatory is a place of cleansing. Until we are pure to enter Heaven, we will not see the Face of God and that is our ultimate goal in life.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM

257 posts, read 444,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Some people are perfectly pure and will go to Heaven.

Some people are extremely evil and will go straight to Hell.

Where does that put the rest of us? We try with all of our might to follow the Good Book. We are human and sometimes slip up. Do we deserve eternal damnation for our venial sins? A Merciful God knows what is in our hearts. He know we needs to be cleansed of our minor sins. We are not pure enough to enter Heaven and we are not bad enough to be punished in Hell. Purgatory is a place of cleansing. Until we are pure to enter Heaven, we will not see the Face of God and that is our ultimate goal in life.
What good does it do the Pope to preach about hell, when he also preaches the false gospel of purgatory, which is helping send people straight to hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity