Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Please no universalism-this is a thread about some will be lost

"4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

This verse always bothered me when I was a kid. If God desires that all are to be saved, then why aren't all saved?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-30-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

This verse always bothered me when I was a kid. If God desires that all are to be saved, then why aren't all saved?

Because sin exists in the world, and some would rather stay in their sin.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,095 times
Quote:
3 possibilities

all are not all, but only a few or God does not really want it
men's will is stronger then God's will
they will later be saved

Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 AM

I vote for "all" doesn't really mean "all".

I believe that if God wanted it to happen, it would. So we must be understanding 'all" incorrectly.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Because all will not receive Him!!
It took me along time to accept this fact. I wanted everyone saved and thought everyone who called themselves a Christian was one.....but the Lord took me on a path to learn the truth....

John 3:17-21
17. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18. “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

God's purpose in sending His Son was not to condemn but to save, to give eternal life. Nevertheless, we put ourselves under condemnation when we refuse to believe in Him. We cut ourselves off from the source of life. When Christ confronts us, we must choose. Our choice determines our destiny.....

Blessings

Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,609 times
Quote:

God wants all mankind to be saved. God does not want mankind to perish into darkness. Man has to earn his way to the Light, salvation, Our Lord Our God.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Because sin exists in the world, and some would rather stay in their sin.
I agree that many want to stay in our sin, but so did we; what changed in us? what makes us different? Is it really a choice? Could we beak away from sin apart from God?

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
God wants all mankind to be saved. God does not want mankind to perish into darkness. Man has to earn his way to the Light, salvation, Our Lord Our God.
Didn't the bible say, through grace alone, through faith alone? There is nothing we can do to enter heaven

Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Because all will not receive Him!!
It took me along time to accept this fact. I wanted everyone saved and thought everyone who called themselves a Christian was one.....but the Lord took me on a path to learn the truth....
So I am not crazy. I use to ask people this same question growing up and I use to get some answers that really did not make sense nor harmonize with the gospel.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I agree that many want to stay in our sin, but so did we; what changed in us? what makes us different? Is it really a choice? Could we beak away from sin apart from God?

It's a very difficult teaching to accept...but the more and more I study the scriptures I can't get past the idea that we believe because God ordains it. God blessed me by putting me in the situation I am, and by giving me the ability to comprehend and believe---and trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity