Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Let me give you the skinny on Osteen:

There are three kinds of TV evangelists today:
1) prosperity eg. Creflo Dollar the last name should tell you all you need to know about his brand of preaching.
2) motivational eg. Osteen verry little Jesus; very little 'give me $100 and God will give you back $1000.
3) gospel eg. John MacArthur a good man who succeeds on his charisma despite a very heavy Jesus message.

Osteen had a very heavy rock laid on his shoulder, probably against his will for the most part. While his "Daddy" was alive he had a secure job as a cameraman behind the spotlights. Then Daddy kicked the bucket and the Church (and his job) were in danger of evaporating. His security threatened; his older brother having made a mess of trying to step into Daddy's shoes earlier; Lakewood in danger of going under; having an ambitious trophy wife with a taste for power, prestige, privilege and, last but certainly not least, $$$$'s, Osteen had no choice but to give filling Daddy's shoes a shot or the whole ball of wax (Lakewood) would have melted PDQ. Realizing that if he preached a straight gospel message of salvation through Jesus he'd empty his church faster than screaming fire in a theatre, and having a wife with a penchant for the finer things in life, he (wisely in a worldly way, unwisely from the POV of his salvation) made the decision to go with the type of "feel good" cotton candy theology that he knew would draw large crowds. The pixie dust he sprinkles on his congregation each week leaves them floating out of service with a smile on their faces and stars in their eyes (minus, of course, lots of $$$$'s they pay for their spiritual "high". Boyish charm, a grin wide as the Grand Canyon, and that 'aw shucks' humility certainly doesn't tarnish the carefully coiffured image his promoters continuously preen and refine for him. A formula for success, in every sense of the "word", except God's.
How should we/they be leaving the meetings ?, condemned , beaten up and miserable ?

How are you judging this ?

What is wrong with boyish charm ?

What is wrong with a grin as wide as the Grand Canyon ?

How do you know it's aw shucks humility ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How should we/they be leaving the meetings ?, condemned , beaten up and miserable ?
No, just knowing that Jesus died for their sins and that they have to repent and be filled with the Holy Spirit, who will then transform them in ways that will completely abolish their worldly lifestyles. That's all.

Quote:
How are you judging this ?
Mainly with words, spiced with a little sarcasm, I guess.

Quote:
What is wrong with boyish charm ?
Not a thing.

Quote:
What is wrong with a grin as wide as the Grand Canyon ?
Not a thing.

Quote:
How do you know it's aw shucks humility ?
Watch the Larry King interview. When asked a tough question it's, "Gee willikers, Larry..I...I just don't like to go there. I mean, golly, if God feels some preachers should teach that, gee wiz, that's their calling, I guess. But I just don't feel God wants me going in that direction, sorry."

If that doesn't scream "aw shucks" humility at you I don't know what will.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No, just knowing that Jesus died for their sins and that they have to repent and be filled with the Holy Spirit, who will them transform them in ways that will completely abolish their worldly lifestyles. That's all.

Mainly with words, spiced with a little sarcasm, I guess.

Not a thing.

Not a thing.

Watch the Larry King interview. When asked a tough question it's, "Gee willikers, Larry..I...I just don't like to go there. I mean, golly, if God feels some preachers should teach that, gee wiz, that's their calling, I guess. But I just don't feel God wants me going in that direction, sorry."

If that doesn't scream "aw shucks" humility at you I don't know what will.
I watched the larry king interview .

It was kind of amazing the flack he took for not answering the question that got the Fundys gnashing their teeth , considering how many christians dare not even share Jesus with a unbeliever never mind their doctrinal beliefs.

Actually Jesus had a Larry King moment.

23Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you this authority?”
24Jesus replied, “I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. 25John’s baptism—where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or from men?”</SPAN>
They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ 26But if we say, ‘From men’—we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet.”
27So they answered Jesus, “We don’t know.”
Then he said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,891 times
I don`t trust any evangilist,T.V. or otherwise, who becomes filthy rich off of the name of God. If his heart was pure then he wouldn`t need the big house, fine cars,fancy clothes etc. He would give most of what the church takes in and give it to the poor and needy. I`m not against a person making money but if you feel called of God to be a leader and step out and preach to the masses and then take that money and live a life a luxury..then that is not Godly,IMO. That is just making money off of God`s name and using it for your own carnal and fleshly desires, again IMO.
I know there are people who give everything they have to these preachers and struggle every month to pay their bills, while these guys live in the lap of luxury off of these peopl, who just give their money blindly. Even some of the people who give all they have don`t care how these preachers live. They even defend them. So I don`t really feel bad for the people who give them their money, but I don`t think these guys are Godly people. I think they are more wordly than Godly.
I think these are some of the people Jesus was talking about when they said, didn`t we do miracles and wonders in your name and Jesus will say...depart from me I never knew you. That`s just my opinion.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Even some of the people who give all they have don`t care how these preachers live. They even defend them.
That's why these people need to be on a couch. I think the simple fact is they have to rationalize the preacher's extravagant lifestyle, or the real reason they are giving all this money (to get rich themselves) will have to come out. Simply put, it's "if God gives it to him, and i tithe like he says i should, then God will give it to me" And they go broke and die in poverty not fully understanding the promises God has made to provide for His children.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,891 times
Quote:
That's why these people need to be on a couch. I think the simple fact is they have to rationalize the preacher's extravagant lifestyle, or the real reason they are giving all this money (to get rich themselves) will have to come out. Simply put, it's "if God gives it to him, and i tithe like he says i should, then God will give it to me" And they go broke and die in poverty not fully understanding the promises God has made to provide for His children.
That`s a good point. A lot of them are giving for selfish reasons. The wealthy slick evangilist tells them if they send in their money ( so they can get rich) then God will in turn bless them and give them an increase. I`ve heard these guys on TV say, if you are struggling financiallyand can`t afford to give, then put it on your credit card (shameful) and expect God to send you more money and lift your financial burden. It`s just amazing how gullible people are...`my people perish for lack of knowledge.` People give with the hope of getting rich or at least getting more. All in God`s name! I guess you reap what you sow.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I guess you reap what you sow.
Which, in this case , is nothing.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Which, in this case , is nothing.
Maybe God should be the judge of that ?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Maybe God should be the judge of that ?
True.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I don`t trust any evangilist,T.V. or otherwise, who becomes filthy rich off of the name of God. If his heart was pure then he wouldn`t need the big house, fine cars,fancy clothes etc. He would give most of what the church takes in and give it to the poor and needy. I`m not against a person making money but if you feel called of God to be a leader and step out and preach to the masses and then take that money and live a life a luxury..then that is not Godly,IMO. That is just making money off of God`s name and using it for your own carnal and fleshly desires, again IMO.
I know there are people who give everything they have to these preachers and struggle every month to pay their bills, while these guys live in the lap of luxury off of these peopl, who just give their money blindly. Even some of the people who give all they have don`t care how these preachers live. They even defend them. So I don`t really feel bad for the people who give them their money, but I don`t think these guys are Godly people. I think they are more wordly than Godly.
I think these are some of the people Jesus was talking about when they said, didn`t we do miracles and wonders in your name and Jesus will say...depart from me I never knew you. That`s just my opinion.
so true--and they will be judged by God for not following his great commandment---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity