Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times

Advertisements

You mean Darwin wasn't a calvinist . Tell it how you believe it, only calvanists are christians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,429,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Will anyone answer my question directly please?

i'm looking to hear reasons that you have. as mentioned before, all religions claim that their God is the one and only God.

i'm interested in learning the reasoning (specifically) behind you believing your religion and thinking that all other religions (and their Gods) are wrong/fake.
What I have is a relationship with Jesus, it's not about religion at all. I know Him and He knows me. Only Christianity has a leader who is still alive. He has revealed the truth to me that He is the ONLY way to Heaven, just as He said.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,585,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You mean Darwin wasn't a calvinist . Tell it how you believe it, only calvanists are christians

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM

106 posts, read 136,213 times
Quote:
Let's assume that there is a God.
Why do you think that the God of christianity is the real God and the God of muslims or other religions are not real?

simply stating that the bible says so is not a good reason in my opinion because the books of other religions say so about their Gods also.

I'm interested in finding out the logic or rational behind this. Have you ever considered the possibility?
Well, I've personally read books about the historicity of Jesus, and read many articles and watched debates. From what I've read a very compelling case (at least, it was compelling for me) could be made for the resurrection of Jesus. Also, archeologically and culturally speaking the gospels seems to be very accurate. Another convincing aspect is that there is a strong case that can be made for the VERY early writings of the gospels and for the letters of Paul. (It's believed that Paul quoted an early oral tradition (which spoke of Jesus appearances to the disciples and others) in one of his letters that was probably around as early as three years after the crucifixion of Jesus.) Hence the over all picture of Jesus resurrection arose EXTREMELY early after his crucifixion and there would not have been enough time for legends to have been created about Jesus. So, in the end, a pretty strong case can be made for Jesus rising from the resurrection and showing that he really was who he said he was: the son of God. Therefore, it only seems reasonable to assume that while other religions made hold certain truths to them, probably even some revealed to them by God, they're not completely accurate in their beliefs.

PS: I'm not saying that I necessarily believe that the Bible is infallible, and in fact, I prefer to look at the New Testament as historical documents. I think what Jesus spoke of, and most of what Paul spoke of, was inspired by God, but there will be times when I'll admit that I think Paul was influenced by the social beliefs of the day (or, at least, it seems possible).

God bless!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,628,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
He had his doubts and his personal disillusionment with the church
He seemed to have a sentimental soft spot where he would at times think there must be a mind behind creation, but apparently those thoughts would soon "go away". It appears the story of a deathbed conversion sprang in large part to Lady Hope's account of her visit to Darwin late in life, but I don't think even her account claims a recanting of evolution, even though it has been a popular myth since Darwin's death. .

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,545,338 times
Quote:
Let's assume that there is a God.
Why do you think that the God of christianity is the real God and the God of muslims or other religions are not real?

simply stating that the bible says so is not a good reason in my opinion because the books of other religions say so about their Gods also.

I'm interested in finding out the logic or rational behind this. Have you ever considered the possibility?
Because of my birth into a family and a society that is mostly Christian, I am Christian, meaning that I believe Christ was the Son of God and walked the earth teaching about the Father and proclaiming the good news that He was here to fulfill scripture of a savior..That is my truth, mine alone..Everyone may come to another truth, which satisfies their seeking nature and I have learned to respect that..and not to force my personal beliefs of truth on them..

I think people will continue to seek God, who, imo is the same God, whether one is a Muslim, or any other religion in between..I believe that when He created man, he placed a spot somewhere deep within each of us that made us seek the source of life, the unity and perfection of the rising and setting of the sun, the harmony of the seasons, and our ability to reason those things..We have been seeking that source which I truly believe we were in full knowledge of before the fall of man and have been trying to return to it ever since..

It is my opinion that we all seek the same God..the creator..and that His love of us, His masterpiece in His image, is what draws us to seek Him...

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM

433 posts, read 965,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Because of my birth into a family and a society that is mostly Christian, I am Christian, meaning that I believe Christ was the Son of God and walked the earth teaching about the Father and proclaiming the good news that He was here to fulfill scripture of a savior..That is my truth, mine alone..Everyone may come to another truth, which satisfies their seeking nature and I have learned to respect that..and not to force my personal beliefs of truth on them..

I think people will continue to seek God, who, imo is the same God, whether one is a Muslim, or any other religion in between..I believe that when He created man, he placed a spot somewhere deep within each of us that made us seek the source of life, the unity and perfection of the rising and setting of the sun, the harmony of the seasons, and our ability to reason those things..We have been seeking that source which I truly believe we were in full knowledge of before the fall of man and have been trying to return to it ever since..

It is my opinion that we all seek the same God..the creator..and that His love of us, His masterpiece in His image, is what draws us to seek Him...

and your evidence for this is....

ps. real 'truth' should be the same for you and i and everyone else. There's no 'your' truth, or 'my' truth. if something is really 'true', it should be so for everyone. if not, it's not 'truth'!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,394,818 times
Quote:
and your evidence for this is....

ps. real 'truth' should be the same for you and i and everyone else. There's no 'your' truth, or 'my' truth. if something is really 'true', it should be so for everyone. if not, it's not 'truth'!
God doesnt give everyone the Truth, for He chooses to withold it from some people..

Matt 13:

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM

433 posts, read 965,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
God doesnt give everyone the Truth, for He chooses to withold it from some people..

Matt 13:

11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
lol ok

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,394,818 times
Quote:
lol ok
Matt 11:

25At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity