Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times

Advertisements

What exactly is Luke 14:26 saying? should we hate our mothers, brother, sisters in order to be a true disciple?
Luke 14:26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple..
How is this supposed to happen? if so how many true disciples of Christ do you think that we have today, that has obeyed this command?

Just asking
God Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Hi I believe that this is an example of hyperbole, exaggerated speech that was used in the language. It is explained in the article below. It means that we should not place anyone or anything above God. We do not literally hate our family because God has taught us to love all. God bless.

Merciful Truth

Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 AM

173 posts, read 328,424 times
He meant hate in a relative rather than in an absolute sense.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:07 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
What exactly is Luke 14:26 saying? should we hate our mothers, brother, sisters in order to be a true disciple?
Luke 14:26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple..
How is this supposed to happen? if so how many true disciples of Christ do you think that we have today, that has obeyed this command?

Just asking
God Bless You
You have to take it in light of the other things Jesus had to say on the issue first. He also tells us to love our enemies, and to honor our mother and father. He tells us to love God above all things and to love our neighbor as ourself. So in light of these things how do you think Jesus was using the word hate? I believe it is obvious in the context that he is talking about preference. He means love less, not hate. Ultimately he is saying prefer God.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM

It is clear to me now. I read somewhere that this was meant to be taken literally.
Thanks

Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 AM

Matthew 10:37
[37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

So let's say for the sake of argument that a father witness some terrible offense being comitted
against his children, and he did what would be natural instincts and jumped in to defend them ,
so much as to take a life in this adrenaline and rage; can the above scripture be held to him
whether he is pentinent or not? It may seem like an unfair situation, but who's is being put first here God or the child?.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 AM

Jesus offered himself to all, but he also was honest from the very beginning of his preaching about what the journey would involve. What Jesus asks for is first place in one's heart. That is what successful discipleship requires.

So Jesus calls for a follower who will hate his mother and father, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life. The point of the list is that no other relationship is first for a disciple. "Hate" is used figuratively and suggests a priority of relationship. Jesus is first. To follow Jesus means to follow Jesus, not anyone or anything else. A disciple is a learner, and the primary teacher in life is Jesus. This total loyalty is crucial, given the rejection and persecution that lie ahead. If his followers care more about family than about Jesus, when families are divided under pressure of persecution, they will choose against Jesus. This is what lies behind Jesus' remarks. Discipleship is not possible if Jesus is not the teacher.

This is why bearing the cross and coming after Jesus is the issue of discipleship. Learning from Jesus means following him, experiencing the rejection he experienced and so bearing the cross he bore. We cannot "learn Jesus" without being prepared to walk this path. Discipleship is basically allegiance. To follow Jesus is to rely on him. Paul makes the same point in different imagery in Romans 6.

In light of the passage above explanation of Luke 14, I would like to further discuss this matter
especially bearing the cross and the rejection and hatred that can actually come from thoise closest to you as a result of their unwilling to take an uncompromising stance for the gospel as it is written in the volume of the book. You will be hated by men for the sake of Christ, this is not "hyperbole, to say the least, let's take a look at the words that Jesus is saying here

Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 AM

A final warning closes the exhortation.
Salt is good as long as it is salty. If not, it is thrown away. Now salt in the ancient world was used in several ways: as a catalyst for a fire, as seasoning, as a preservative and as fertilizer. In each case the presence of salt facilitated some function. But once salt ceases to perform its role, it is good for nothing. Similarly, the disciple who loses "saltiness" can become useless to God. There are a couple of possible ways to interpret thrown out here. It could refer to being rejected for never having been genuine to begin with, like the "odd man out" in many of Jesus' parables (12:46; 19:21-26; Mt 25:20), or it could warn of the physical judgment that comes on those who displease God (1 Cor 11:30). Jesus' remark is ambiguous and may be purposely so to allow for both possibilities. Clearly, however, the warning should be heeded, since Jesus closes his remarks with "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
Discipleship is serious business to Jesus.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 AM

161 posts, read 418,140 times
we are to love jesus so much that it will put Him first before anyone or anything.
it doesnt mean that we are to literally 'hate'.
God speaks against hating our parents and others.
when a person is truly 'born again', that is when the Holy Spirit can give him understanding on the scriptures.
unless that happens first- the bible will make no sence to someone.
if youd like to know more- please write me.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 AM

This cross reference caught my eye and speaks volumes..
We can do nothing apart from God, not even breathe
John 21

That night they catch nothing (v. 3), a graphic portrayal of barrenness. They have done what they thought was the right thing but experience utter failure. This prepares them to learn one of the central lessons of discipleship--apart from Jesus they can do nothing (15:5). Jesus has taught this lesson before, for "never in the Gospels do the disciples catch a fish without Jesus' help" (Brown 1970:1071)! But they need the lesson repeated, as we often do as well.

The turning point comes early in the morning, perhaps symbolizing the dawning of spiritual light. Jesus is described again as simply standing there, without a description of his arrival on the spot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity