Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,565,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No it's called the Trinity, Jesus is God.
The trinity is doctrine.

then 3 persons equal 3 gods.

No where in the bible does Jesus refer to himself as God.

Everywhere in the bible is God referred to as the only true God.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:12 PM

208 posts, read 350,754 times
Quote:
agree

No Jesus is God.........ONE God

Jesus is Himself and God the father right?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 PM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The trinity is doctrine.

then 3 persons equal 3 gods.

No where in the bible does Jesus refer to himself as God.

Everywhere in the bible is God referred to as the only true God.

The Trinity is Biblical. Jesus made clear statements to prove He is God, John 10:30, John 14:8-9. Yes ONE God in three persons, yet ONE in essence. Also all three are present in Matt 3:16-17

Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotep View Post
Jesus is Himself and God the father right?
Right

Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,565,676 times
Quote:
The Trinity is Biblical. Jesus made clear statements to prove He is God, John 10:30, John 14:8-9. Yes ONE God in three persons, yet ONE in essence. Also all three are present in Matt 3:16-17
Ok well with an open mind, I will look at them:

28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."
31Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him,

Apparently the Jews thought he was saying that too... but instead of rebuking them he restates in vs. 37-39

John 10:37-39 (New International Version)
37Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." 39Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

In verse 30 the word "one" specifies "unity" in a general, not personal, sense.

The phrase "Father is in me, and I in the Father" is representative of the unity expressed by the word "one" in verse 30.

In context I would say no, he was not professing to be God, just that everything he said came from God and they should listen to it.

John 14:8-10 (New International Version)
8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

Again here the explanation is stated in verse 10 and is the same message as before. God is in him. He is not God.

Matthew 3:16-17 (New International Version)

16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Ok so obviously the word trinity is not found in the bible so we are looking for the idea of the trinity... Jesus says in verse 15 that it is necessary for him to receive the Spirit of God. He does. Then God (we can deduce as the voice) says this is his son.

If you can interchange God with Jesus and the Spirit of God then the verse reads like this:
As soon as God was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And God said,"This is my son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Now does that make any sense?

Begs the question: Why did God need his own spirit and approval from himself?

There really isn't a trinity. If you would like to read up on it with an open mind I can send you a few links from reputable sources.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 PM

208 posts, read 350,754 times
Quote:
Right

than which one came to earth?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
than which one came to earth?
Jesus

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM

193 posts, read 289,961 times
Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
He said 'I and the Father are one.'

Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 PM

193 posts, read 289,961 times
Quote:
God is not bound by time, so were you also in the mind of God?
Yes my friend, we spoke about this in another thread.
God saw the begining through to the end before time began.
So obviously God is not bound by time and is omnipresent.

Again, he didn't loose control, and have to create a few crafty maneuvers to regain control or make things right.

I believe all things happen for reason, and he is in full control.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,384,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
He said 'I and the Father are one.'
Yes, one in purpose, but each separate beings as are you and I.

You and I could cooperate fully and think alike to accomplish the same task/mission. In that manner we could say that we are "one" without having to come up with some incomprehensible magical way to cram ourselves into the same body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity