Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM

208 posts, read 350,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus

in God the Father stayed in heaven right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I never said there was three gods. What I said was those who come to the conclusion (denying the trinity) do so in part because if it doesn't fit into human reason or comprehension, the conclusion must be its not true.... which is not to believe God's Word.

Sure I could show where Jesus refers himself to be God, I could show were other prophets\disciples call Jesus God. However if Jesus himself couldn't persuade those who refused to believe, you're expecting that I can?
You are saying to use God's Word. Jesus nor anyone else refers to the Trinity. Nor does anyone refer to Jesus as God, including Jesus.

Jesus couldn't convince those who refused to believe in what? His Godhood?

Jesus is almost stoned for some thinking he says he is God. He responds by restating his unity with God. "I am in the Father and he is in me". In his last prayer he states he wants believers to have the same relationship with God as he does... So does that mean we too will be gods?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,529,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You are saying to use God's Word. Jesus nor anyone else refers to the Trinity. Nor does anyone refer to Jesus as God, including Jesus.
Yes they do.
Isaiah 9:6
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Matthew 1:23
"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" —which means, "God with us."

John 20:28
Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

The Father spoke, the Son (Jesus) was in the water, the Holy Spirit decended. That is the Godhead.

Colossians 2:9
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,
(research the word deity)

Quote:
Jesus couldn't convince those who refused to believe in what? His Godhood?
Yes. And just like the Pharisee's, there are those who surround Jesus today, looking for ways to disprove him.

Quote:
Jesus is almost stoned for some thinking he says he is God. He responds by restating his unity with God. "I am in the Father and he is in me". In his last prayer he states he wants believers to have the same relationship with God as he does... So does that mean we too will be gods?
No, that is what unbelief concludes.....surprised?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM

193 posts, read 289,802 times
Jesus was 100% Human, 100% Divine.

None of those scriptures refer to a trinity....in fact they are quite opposite.

God didn't pour out another spirit.....He poured out His Spirit......think about it.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Your question about the religious beliefs of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is more appropriate for the "Ask a Mormon" thread, I'd be pleased to respond to it if you post it there:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...sk-mormon.html
Which is probably the best place for your Mormon answers about the trinity

Old 09-13-2009, 05:56 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,940 times
Quote:
Which is probably the best place for your Mormon answers about the trinity
The "trinity" is a common subject of discussion among Christians of almost all denominations. It is being discussed probably quite appropriately in this thread, it seems to come up a lot.

But what you asked was a provocative question about a specifically LDS understanding. Again, since you are interested enough to ask the question, I invite you to a civil discussion about Mormon beliefs in the "Ask a Mormon" thread in Religion and Philosophy.

Here's the link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...sk-mormon.html

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
Yes they do.
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
My husband is called Jonathan, which means "gift of God"
Israel means "Challenge God", "he struggles with God", or "fight with God". It also means "Defeat God" (jacobs name changes to Israel after he defeats God)
Ezekiel means "Strong God". It also means "Yahweh is Strong God".
Abram means "High Father"
Gabriel means "Hero of God"
Isaiah means "Salvation by God"
Jesse means "God exists"
Joshua means "God saves"
Jesus is the short form of Joshua and means "the Lord is Salvation"
Elli, which is a common name for men before and after Jesus, means "God"
These are a list of his qualities not his titles.

Quote:
"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" —which means, "God with us."
Immanuel in proper translation means "With us is God". This name is also common for men before and after Jesus. But they were not God.

Quote:
"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."
John 20:30-31
If what Thomas said was a declaration why is the exclamation point used? He was astonished... and if this is said to Jesus why is the verse above written as it is rather than Jesus Christ is God?

Quote:
Jesus came from God (John 8:42). He is not God, he is the image of God. (2 Cor. 4:4, Col. 1:15). He said he was inferior to God (John 10:29, 14:28). He worshiped God and prayed to God (John 11:41,42 John 17:1-26)
Jesus is the messenger of God, Servant of God, he pleaded with God to give him strength! All these things refute that he IS God.

Quote:
Yes. And just like the Pharisee's, there are those who surround Jesus today, looking for ways to disprove him.
"Jews do not believe that the messiah will be divine. A fundamental difference between Judaism and Christianity is the Jewish conviction that God is so essentially different from and beyond humanity that he could never become a human." The Jewish Messiah - ReligionFacts

Again, Jesus while praying to God says: John 17: 10-11 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.

Then you logically must say that if Jesus is one with God and therefore is God then Jesus also wanted his disciples to be one with God and therefore his disciples are God.

You can pick out as many verses as you want from both OT and NT, but even the Jews didn't expect the Messiah to be God and they are the most familiar with the OT so I would say they should know.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
My husband is called Jonathan, which means "gift of God"
Israel means "Challenge God", "he struggles with God", or "fight with God". It also means "Defeat God" (jacobs name changes to Israel after he defeats God)
Ezekiel means "Strong God". It also means "Yahweh is Strong God".
Abram means "High Father"
Gabriel means "Hero of God"
Isaiah means "Salvation by God"
Jesse means "God exists"
Joshua means "God saves"
Jesus is the short form of Joshua and means "the Lord is Salvation"
Elli, which is a common name for men before and after Jesus, means "God"
These are a list of his qualities not his titles.

Immanuel in proper translation means "With us is God". This name is also common for men before and after Jesus. But they were not God.

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."
John 20:30-31
If what Thomas said was a declaration why is the exclamation point used? He was astonished... and if this is said to Jesus why is the verse above written as it is rather than Jesus Christ is God?

Jesus came from God (John 8:42). He is not God, he is the image of God. (2 Cor. 4:4, Col. 1:15). He said he was inferior to God (John 10:29, 14:28). He worshiped God and prayed to God (John 11:41,42 John 17:1-26)
Jesus is the messenger of God, Servant of God, he pleaded with God to give him strength! All these things refute that he IS God.

"Jews do not believe that the messiah will be divine. A fundamental difference between Judaism and Christianity is the Jewish conviction that God is so essentially different from and beyond humanity that he could never become a human." The Jewish Messiah - ReligionFacts

Again, Jesus while praying to God says: John 17: 10-11 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.

Then you logically must say that if Jesus is one with God and therefore is God then Jesus also wanted his disciples to be one with God and therefore his disciples are God.

You can pick out as many verses as you want from both OT and NT, but even the Jews didn't expect the Messiah to be God and they are the most familiar with the OT so I would say they should know.
How nice....
but I haven't read your logical dismissal of Jesus' baptism.....yet

Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,450,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
He said 'I and the Father are one.'
AMEN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
I would rather just stick to scripture.
Me too and Scriptures teaches that Jesus is God

Quote:
Yes they do.

The Father spoke, the Son (Jesus) was in the water, the Holy Spirit decended. That is the Godhead.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN!

Me too and Scriptures teaches that Jesus is God

INLC,
Thanks. It has been a testy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity