Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Yes it is loving, and yes the truth hurts.....but it hurts only those who do not accept the truth. I am not hurt, You do not have the ability to hurt me any more than a baby in a crib can hurt me.
I agree with the post! However I had to comment on this.

This is how I think of Organized Religion... Like a baby draining you financially and emotionally, and wailing perpetually.

BTW- I love babies..... mine are grown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
It is sometimes the case that a true message is rejected because of the wrong attitude of the messenger.

And it is also true that sometimes the messenger has the right attitude, but the hearers simply do not want to hear the message for one reason or another, and so they attack the messenger. (Yes, it does happen....remember the crucifixion of Jesus?)

Every individual should honestly look inside their own heart and determine which is the case for them.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I try to answer in love only to be shouted down as judgmental because people don't want to hear the truth.
What you proclaim is YOUR truth. I encourage people to find the truth for themselves by going to God in prayer. Not by parroting the mantra of a denomination.

Quote:
Many such as yourself uses this worldly postmodernism Christianity to interpret scripture or what a Christian is.
And you use a religious dogma to interpret scripture and what a Christian is, when even Jesus lost his temper with the religious dogma and hierarchy and their corruption.

Quote:
I believe true love is telling the truth.
Your truth. Not mine or anyone elses.........

Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,956 times
no, I think sometimes the truth is concealed out of love, if it's just going to start something, and make people upset, and nothing good is going to come from it, why tell? That would just be rude and self-centered, but we call God truth, and God is love, so yes telling people God loves them is truth in that respect, but sometimes the truth in terms of facts, is withheld to keep the peace

Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,654 times
Quote:
That is a bit of a loaded question. He asked, if he is a Christian or not. It's indicative that he is or will be a spiritually immature Christian. We are always growing.

There is nothing else he can do....reading and praying will lead him to the right books and the right teachers to learn from.
Funny , i have been praying and reading the bible for 29 years. I have been studying heavily and praying heavily often fasting heavily(longest time for 1 week) for about 17 years and the lord has recently lead me to understand something entirely different than you within the past 3 years ... Once my spirit began troubling me concerning the doctrines i had been blindly believing without even questioning and once my conscience began crying out concerning many of those false doctrines i began praying in earnest for the lord to reveal his truth to me concerning them, and he led me to greener pastures of love and grace that defy and blow out of the water the false doctrines i had been indoctrinated with over the years. Go figure ... If what you believed in fact was not true how would you ever know? You don't even give any other belief than what you have been indoctrinated to believe a chance ... You refuse to accept that you might be wrong ... Because of that your words don't mean much to someone who is rational and who thinks for themselves ...

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
.......... That would just be rude and self-centered,........
and that is where the virulent evangelical is......more concerned about being right (in their own eyes) than being compassionate, more concerned about the dogma and traditions than being Christian. It is frequently a matter of pride and smugness.....not a matter of faith or truth.....ALTHOUGH THAT IS WHAT THEY PROCLAIM IT TO BE.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
no, I think sometimes the truth is concealed out of love, if it's just going to start something, and make people upset, and nothing good is going to come from it, why tell? That would just be rude and self-centered, but we call God truth, and God is love, so yes telling people God loves them is truth in that respect, but sometimes the truth in terms of facts, is withheld to keep the peace
Matthew 10:34 ''Do not think that I came to bring peace in the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35) ''For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; 36) and a MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD. 37) ''He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 39) ''He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake shall find it.''

Jesus came to reveal the truth. The truth divides. He who would please God must orient to truth. You belong either to the royal family of God as a believer, or you belong to Satan as an unbeliever. But even as a believer you can be an enemy of the Cross.

It was Christ who said in Matt. 12:30 ''He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.''

Matt. 8:44 ''You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies. 45) ''But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me. 46) ''Which one of you convicts Me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe Me? 47) ''He who is of God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God.''

Truth is absolute. There is not one truth for one person and another truth for someone else. God's revealed truth is absolute and the believer in Christ had better orient to it or come under divine discipline.

When it comes to the word of God, there is no compassion in withholding the truth for the sake of keeping the peace.

Speaking the truth of God's word is true compassion and is pleasing to the Lord.

As for me, I seek to please the Lord, not to please man.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Is truth concealed out of love or pride?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Interesting question.
IMO what you really are asking is whether one would recognise Jesus by his actions alone?
I believe that Jesus works like a thief in the night and another thing I strongly believe is that good deeds are done in silence.
So you could say that you can recognise a follower of Jesus by the fruit of his labours, therefore (biblical) knowledge is totally irrelevant.
Then again most people won't call me a Christian since I only follow the philosophy of Jesus and do not adhere to any form of organised religion.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Is truth concealed out of love or pride?
Or, in the case of many evangelicals, out of ignorance......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity