Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ummmmmm....Are you not judging me by that statement you made of me? Do you see where your worldy logic fails? "a matter of opinion" it's a boomerange affect.
Stop judging me for judging you - you.. you.. judger judger! Wait.... if I'm judging you to be a judger judger, I must be a ... *gulp* judger judger judger???!!!
(Don't judge me for this fundie - it'll only get worse)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
That a Christian who had sinned all his life will be saved because of his 'faith',
Yes, this is the very heart of the Good News that jesus sent the church out to the world to carry.

This news is that you do not have to "merit" your salvation.
This good news is that we are not left to do some "Works" to earn our salvation.

The salvation I have is a gift from god, By His Grace, though my faith.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 AM

trickyD...

The one thing we in the christian church want to do is to reach out to the sinner.

The problem is that far too many people feel that they have committed too many sins, to ever be forgiven of them all.
The message we have to share with them is that all your sins can be forgiven!

Just confess your sins and receive God's forgiveness.

The number of sins you have in your past is moot.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgansmom00 View Post
First of all, I believe that Jesus Christ existed, was the son of God and died on the cross to save man from his sins. However, I recently got into a discussion with someone with whom I disagreed with on whether or not a person with no knowledge of the Bible or Christ could achieve salvation. The scenario was, "could a person who lived on a remote island somewhere, who lived a good, honest life (just as instructed in the words of the Bible), but who had no access to the Word of God still go to heaven?" I believe that the Bible serves as instructions on how we should live our lives according to the Holy Spirit, but I don't think God is so selective that He'd exclude those who just didn't know, but lived the life He intended. I also believe that man is falliable and since the actual Bible has suffered through so many translations and interpretations at the hands of man, I find it difficult to take literal translations. Before you get upset with me, please note again the intro at the top of the page.

Anyway, so in the course of this discussion with what turned out to be with a rather fanatical person who did not share my openmindedness, my salvation was questioned and I was called a heretic b/c my "degree in philosphy and religion taught me to defend man's continual discredit of the Bible".

So, what is it? Does it not matter that I believe in God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit? Do I have to believe a literal interpretation of a book that was translated and influenced by the monarchy commissioning the translation and interpreted by different denominations in order to reach salvation? If so, then which version is the right version?

The person who accused me of being a heretic is supposed to be a Christian. She certainly has not convinced me of wanting to break bread with her by casting judgment on me.
Unfortunately...you will find alot of this type behavior on this forum. I came here to learn others peoples views and see how others think. There are those on this forum who think it is their job to judge everyone who thinks differently than they do...and they judge quite vehemently sometimes, all in the name of their truth.

I, like you, have studied extensively and know the corruption in the present translations of our bibles. You don't have to have a theological degree to figure out what God's word says. I don't believe for one minute that God would turn away anyone who has not been exposed to His word and His son Jesus...and those that believe that just don't really know God.

You just keep on studying and quit listening to what others tell you...the quickest way for God to reveal the truth to you is by you studying and listening to Him.

Good Luck and God Bless,
Christy

Old 10-02-2009, 06:27 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Unfortunately...you will find alot of this type behavior on this forum. I came here to learn others peoples views and see how others think. There are those on this forum who think it is their job to judge everyone who thinks differently than they do...and they judge quite vehemently sometimes, all in the name of their truth.

You mean like how your judging right now?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So you are saying that as long as a Christian believes all that he can sin all he wants, because his actions are irrelevant?
That a Christian who had sinned all his life will be saved because of his 'faith', but a heathen who never heard of the teachings of Jesus but had lived like a saint will simply go straight to hell simply because he never heard of Jesus Christ?
First thing...there is no such place as "Hell" the way it is taught in evangelical christianity today. Second...God has a plan for those who have never heard of His Son...and don't you believe otherwise because that would be a lie.
The bible is very clear that we are judged by the works of our lives...if they lived like a saint they would be judged as a saint.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
You mean like how your judging right now?
I have to call it like I see it and apparently others see it the same way...just stating the plain and simple facts. I'm here to learn not berate and judge people for what they believe. Sharing what one knows with others is one thing....trying to shove your truth down others throats as the absolute truth is wrong, telling people they are sinners because they don't believe the way you do is wrong and should not be happening on this forum or any forum.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I have to call it like I see it and apparently others see it the same way...just stating the plain and simple facts. I'm here to learn not berate and judge people for what they believe. Sharing what one knows with others is one thing....trying to shove your truth down others throats as the absolute truth is wrong, telling people they are sinners because they don't believe the way you do is wrong and should not be happening on this forum or any forum.
That's fine Christy and more power to you but that is still "judging" you rebuke others for the exact same thing you are doing. There is nothing wrong with judging as long as your heart is right...judging in righteousness. I don't know other's hearts so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-02-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 06:41 AM

Im a judge...
I judge everything and everyone all the time.

I dont allow anyone to say squat without my forming a judgment about what they are saying.
On the forum I try to keep all my comments about the "ideas" and the "teachings" I read here, but trust me, I also judge the people by their words too and I know what people tend to me wise, and who are the fools.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
That's fine Christy and more power to you but that is still "judging" you condemn others for the exact same thing you are doing. There is nothing wrong with judging as long as your heart is right...judging in righteousness. I don't know other's hearts so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
I'm not condemning anyone. I know what I believe and why I believe it and can back it up scripturally and historically without all the wild speculation. What you or anyone else believes doesn't affect my walk with God so it's not really an issue with me. If someone wants to know what I believe, I will share what I know with them but I don't shove it down their throats as the "One and Only Truth". I just see a lot of nastiness and hatefulness on this forum all in the name of Christianity... and it's really sickening. I can't imagine what unbelievers think when they see it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity