Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2023, 05:05 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Isn’t this based on the idea that because one doesn’t inherit the kingdom of God (or heaven) that you are then consigned to spend eternity in hell

1 Cor 6:9-10 is the passage that is used to make the distinction between the 2 destinations

When I was growing up in the Pentecostal church I was told dancing was a sin too (unless in church of course then it was ok)
Somewhere along the way Catholics created "Purgatory"...a temporary hell for X years and then you are reformed and get to go to heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 05:09 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Somewhere along the way Catholics created "Purgatory"...a temporary hell for X years and then you are reformed and get to go to heaven.
Yep

Old 08-19-2023, 05:21 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Isn’t this based on the idea that because one doesn’t inherit the kingdom of God (or heaven) that you are then consigned to spend eternity in hell

1 Cor 6:9-10 is the passage that is used to make the distinction between the 2 destinations

When I was growing up in the Pentecostal church I was told dancing was a sin too (unless in church of course then it was ok)
When I was a teen, in one Baptist church we attended, the church ladies got onto my mother because my little sister was wearing a miniskirt. The pastor's daughter also wore a miniskirt, but she got a free pass from those church ladies.

My mother was furious [not at my little sister, but rather at the church ladies].

I also remember my father going on the occasional rant about long hair.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is a subset of Christianity that enjoys the idea of other people going to hell and looks for reasons that the people they don't approve of will get there.
Yes, there is always a group of self-righteous Christians who feel they hold greater authority than God, and they can determine new sins.

If someone brings up a new sin, I generally ask if they can share the Chapter and Verse.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I thought that was where you could pay money for an 'indulgence', and do as many sins as you wish, so long as you could pay the cash you were good.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:44 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I thought that was where you could pay money for an 'indulgence', and do as many sins as you wish, so long as you could pay the cash you were good.
Purgatory preceded the indulgences by a lot of years which was what Luther (and other reformers) were against and led to the Protestants

Old 08-20-2023, 08:15 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Christians are to be sober-minded so, short of medicinal purposes yes, I believe it would be sinful.
Here's what I remember, which very much encourages "strong drink" for those who need it. Which means, contrary to other scriptures about strong drink, it was ok'd by the big Fairy in the sky in this scripture.

Proverbs 31:6
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Nah, no discrepancies or contradictions there. Because the bible is sooooo consistent.

The bible says nothing about marijuana. It is not a drug. There are no mention of any drugs whatsoever. So, since pot is not a drug and an all natural substance, it would not be considered wrong to partake. Remember, everything in moderation. I know for a fact that marijuana serves many medicinal purposes.

I don't think your almighty god would have put it here unless it served a purpose. You see it as a problem, I see it as a solution for illness, stress, panic attacks, anxiety and pain. Marijuana IS the "strong drink" for the sick, dying and those still living who are struggling. Recreational use is legal. So I see no argument here whatsoever.

Whatever gets you through the day. Marijuana can be an aid for just that.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Man made liquor.

God created pot.

Who do you trust?

Old 08-20-2023, 08:24 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Man made liquor.

God created pot.

Who do you trust?
LOL exactly. I don't believe in god, of course, but liquor is derived from something that came from the earth. Man just turned it into something that doesn't resemble the earth elements. Processed. Same with beer. And wine.

Marijuana? Nope. Au naturale.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
... The bible says nothing about marijuana.
Correction!

Before the 'Reefer madness in you, says it is not in the Bible, consider the passages where it is written.

"Kaneh-bosm"

Exodus 30:23, Numbers 17:12-13, Song of Songs 4:14, Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20 and Ezekiel 27:19

And archaeological sites of ancient Israelite altars, literally covered in THC resin:
http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...tures/1.562450
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity