Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 10:52 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Correction!

Before the 'Reefer madness in you, says it is not in the Bible, consider the passages where it is written.

"Kaneh-bosm"

Exodus 30:23, Numbers 17:12-13, Song of Songs 4:14, Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20 and Ezekiel 27:19

And archaeological sites of ancient Israelite altars, literally covered in THC resin:
http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...tures/1.562450
correction for you maybe. LOL that's such a typical response from someone who is completely paranoid about marijuana and is uninformed about it. And religious. Like I said, which cannot be "corrected" because it is fact, the word MARIJUANA is not in the bible. I don't care about your scriptures, it means nothing to me.

See? Even you just said that altars were covered in THC. I'm sure it had medicinal properties then too, since the marijuana plant is a PLANT used for medicinal purposes. Do you even know what "Reefer Madness" is? It's a movie from 1936 about marijuana's supposed effects, it's completely bizarre and outrageously stupid. Schools showed it to students to scare them "straight".

Reefer Madness (originally made as Tell Your Children and sometimes titled The Burning Question, Dope Addict, Doped Youth, and Love Madness) is a 1936 American propaganda film about drugs, revolving around the melodramatic events that ensue when high school students are lured by pushers to try marijuana – upon trying ...

Reefer Madness - Wikipedia

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Reefer_Madness
0's.

If it makes you feel good about yourself to judge me and condemn me and make fun of me, then go right ahead Mr. Christian/hypocrite. Do you drink? Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you support and talk to people who do? So, if you do then how are marijuana smokers going to hell because it's a sin and you and your buddies are not? OH, I see. It's the hypocrite in thee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 07:57 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
....that's such a typical response from someone who is completely paranoid about marijuana and is uninformed about it. And religious. Like I said, which cannot be "corrected" because it is fact, the word MARIJUANA is not in the bible.
The plant marijuana [also known as cannabis, or in Hebrew as Kaneh-bosm] is in the Bible.

Quote:
... If it makes you feel good about yourself to judge me and condemn me and make fun of me, then go right ahead Mr. Christian/hypocrite. Do you drink?
Yes, I do drink.

Alcohol is referenced many times in the Bible. Most of those references are very positive toward people drinking. Only a few bible passages warn of becoming a 'drunkard'.

Quote:
... Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you support and talk to people who do?
No, I do not smoke tobacco. My Dw does.

Of course I support and talk to smokers, who doesn't?

Quote:
... So, if you do then how are marijuana smokers going to hell because it's a sin and you and your buddies are not? OH, I see. It's the hypocrite in thee.
I have never stated marijuana users are bad. I am a medical user myself.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:38 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Galatians 5:20 Sorcery is defined in the ancient Greek as φαρμακεία pharmakeia -

Strong's G5331 - pharmakeia

Anything to do with the use of drugs.
Pot is something that grows in the ground, and is nature's bounty.

pharmakeia as used in the Bible was used in CONNECTION with idolatry and witchcraft.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:58 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Pot is something that grows in the ground, and is nature's bounty.

pharmakeia as used in the Bible was used in CONNECTION with idolatry and witchcraft.
Some of the things in the Old Testament are referencing some long-forgotten custom or practice.

The prohibition against cutting the corners of your beard is thought to be referencing an ancient Assyrian grooming style where they did not wear wide beards, but rather they wore narrow braided beards.

Was marijuana somehow used in idolatry and/or witchcraft? I have no idea, maybe. It is kind of difficult today to imagine how or why marijuana indulgence could be used in that context. But maybe it was.

To me, I think the lesson to be learned is to avoid idolatry and/or witchcraft.

Knowing now that the Temple altar had incense burning all the time, marijuana was known as sweet aromatic hemp, and that marijuana was burnt there in the Temple on one specifically dedicated censor. It kind of gives a different meaning to all the Bible passages that talk about the sweet savor of the Temple's burnt offerings.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:20 PM

251 posts, read 76,219 times
Quote:
I would be very much interested if you could share with us a Bible passage where it states a drunkard is going to hell.
If one does not inherit the Kingdom of God, then there is only one other place to go.

1 Corinthians 6
[9] Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
[10] nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
[11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:41 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Galatians 5:20 Sorcery is defined in the ancient Greek as φαρμακεία pharmakeia -

Strong's G5331 - pharmakeia

Anything to do with the use of drugs.
During that time though they considered people using plants for medicine (alchemy) was sorcery.
Anything they could not understand fell under that broad usage.

The Three "Wise" Men were actually Zoastrians, magi which is the plural of magicians.
And they were called that because they knew astronomy/astrology and could "read the stars".

What you read in the Bible is 2000 year old "knowledge" which really wasn't much.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:16 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Well, look at who benefits from it being labeled "wrong" in the first place.
Big Pharma and the Prison industrial complex.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:26 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
LOL exactly. I don't believe in god, of course, but liquor is derived from something that came from the earth. Man just turned it into something that doesn't resemble the earth elements. Processed. Same with beer. And wine.

Marijuana? Nope. Au naturale.
Yes, pot compares to heroin and cocaine in the sense that they are “just” plants

Old 08-21-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, like heroin and cocaine
Hello to you too Finn. Like I said, it takes a chemical process to create heroin and cocaine. Not the same. Yes, morphine is derived from the earth but there is a process to make it into heroin. Same with cocaine, which is derived from coca leaves and ALSO requires a process. Next?

Old 08-21-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The plant marijuana [also known as cannabis, or in Hebrew as Kaneh-bosm] is in the Bible.
Your argument began with you stating that marijuana is in the bible. That word is not in the bible. It does speak of something, but it does not say cannabis or marijuana. It could have been a different type of plant that they also processed into a drug. Why can't religous people get down off their high horse and quit making stuff up just because they think that something mentioned in the bible is up for any old interpretation that suits the individual. And then, it's time to judge. It is amazing how some people glean from the bible things that aren't even in there.
Quote:
Yes, I do drink.
Alcohol is referenced many times in the Bible. Most of those references are very positive toward people drinking. Only a few bible passages warn of becoming a 'drunkard'.
I'm stunned. Ok, so you think drinking is ok but someone who smokes marijuana is damned? I don't even understand where you're coming from. You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Quote:
No, I do not smoke tobacco. My Dw does.
Of course I support and talk to smokers, who doesn't?
Again, hypocritical.
Quote:
I have never stated marijuana users are bad. I am a medical user myself.
Again, stunned. Are you ok? It just seems uh, HIGHLY convenient and hypocritical. You're gonna have to let us in on what it is exactly you believe about this. I use it for the same reason. And for recreation. I guess the recreation part is the actual sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity