Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM

10 posts, read 28,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I have a relative who converted to a Jehovah Witness last year. We all feel that this religion is completely brainwashing her. In our opinion the church community she belongs to acts almost like a cult. She also scared the hell out of my 2 teenage cousins and told them that we are all going to hell, and the world is going to end soon.

Are all people in this religion this way?
Leli
Yes, all the JW are like this and it is truly sad, talk to your family member and explain that it is Jesus who is God and his number 1 rule is thou shall not Judge. The Jw are a cult that is hard to break, but if you want to see a change keep praying, he will see the truth. Remember to pray and speak over him in love.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
Quote:
I have a relative who converted to a Jehovah Witness last year. We all feel that this religion is completely brainwashing her. In our opinion the church community she belongs to acts almost like a cult. She also scared the hell out of my 2 teenage cousins and told them that we are all going to hell, and the world is going to end soon.

going to hell? you must have misunderstood, they dont believe in hell fire. die.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 AM

139 posts, read 167,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychohmike View Post
Pretty much...They've got a very pessimistic view on the future. This is because of their faulty futurist view of the end times.

Cheers
Not so at all. You see, the literal translation of the word Sheol is grave, so in a very literal sense every one who dies go to the sheol/hell/common grave of mankind or back to the dust. If I might show you this information on the terms from the texts:
*** it-2 p. 922 Sheol ***
(She′ol).
The common grave of mankind, gravedom; not an individual burial place or grave (Heb., qe′ver, Jg 16:31; qevu·rah′, Ge 35:20), nor an individual tomb (Heb., ga·dhish′, Job 21:32).
While several derivations for the Hebrew word sheʼohl′ have been offered, apparently it is derived from the Hebrew verb sha·ʼal′, meaning “ask; request.” Regarding Sheol, in A Compendious Hebrew Lexicon, Samuel Pike stated that it is “the common receptacle or region of the dead; so called from the insatiability of the grave, which is as it were always asking or craving more.” (Cambridge, 1811, p. 148) This would indicate that Sheol is the place (not a condition) that asks for or demands all without distinction, as it receives the dead of mankind within it.—Ge 37:35, ftn; Pr 30:15,*16.
The Hebrew word sheʼohl′ occurs 65 times in the Masoretic text. In the King James Version, it is translated 31 times as “hell,” 31 times as “grave,” and 3 times as “pit.” The Catholic Douay Version rendered the word 63 times as “hell,” once as “pit,” and once as “death.” In addition, at Isaiah 7:11 the Hebrew text originally read sheʼohl′, and it was rendered as “Hades” in the ancient Greek versions of Aquila, Symmachus, and Theodotion, and as “hell” in the Douay Version.

There is no English word that conveys the precise sense of the Hebrew word sheʼohl′. Commenting on the use of the word “hell” in Bible translation, Collier’s Encyclopedia (1986, Vol. 12, p. 28) says: “Since Sheol in Old Testament times referred simply to the abode of the dead and suggested no moral distinctions, the word ‘hell,’ as understood today, is not a happy translation.” More recent versions transliterate the word into English as “Sheol.”—RS, AT, NW.
Regarding Sheol, the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1971, Vol. 11, p. 276) noted: “Sheol was located somewhere ‘under’ the earth.*.*.*. The state of the dead was one of neither pain nor pleasure. Neither reward for the righteous nor punishment for the wicked was associated with Sheol. The good and the bad alike, tyrants and saints, kings and orphans, Israelites and gentiles—all slept together without awareness of one another.”
While the Greek teaching of the immortality of the human soul infiltrated Jewish religious thinking in later centuries, the Bible record shows that Sheol refers to mankind’s common grave as a place where there is no consciousness. (Ec 9:4-6,*10) Those in Sheol neither praise God nor mention him. (Ps 6:4,*5; Isa 38:17-19) Yet it cannot be said that it simply represents ‘a condition of being separated from God,’ since the Scriptures render such a teaching untenable by showing that Sheol is “in front of” him, and that God is in effect “there.” (Pr 15:11; Ps 139:7,*8; Am 9:1,*2) For this reason Job, longing to be relieved of his suffering, prayed that he might go to Sheol and later be remembered by Jehovah and be called out from Sheol.—Job 14:12-15.
Throughout the inspired Scriptures, Sheol is continually associated with death and not life. (1Sa 2:6; 2Sa 22:6; Ps 18:4,*5; 49:7-10, 14,*15; 88:2-6; 89:48; Isa 28:15-18; also compare Ps 116:3, 7-10 with 2Co 4:13,*14.) It is spoken of as “the land of darkness” (Job 10:21) and a place of silence. (Ps 115:17) Abel apparently was the first one to go to Sheol, and since then countless millions of human dead have joined him in the dust of the ground.
On the day of Pentecost 33*C.E., the apostle Peter quoted from Psalm 16:10 and applied it to Christ Jesus. Luke, in quoting Peter’s words, used the Greek word hai′des, thereby showing that Sheol and Hades refer to the same thing, mankind’s common grave. (Ac 2:25-27, 29-32) During the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, Sheol, or Hades, is emptied and destroyed, through a resurrection of all of those in it.—Re 20:13,*14

It is not a brain washing, it is learning the truths from the word of God Almighty, and finally being free of the false teaching that infiltrated the early Christian congregation and has only gotten worse over the years.
We do not teach the "hell fire doctrine", we teach of the paradise earth that God purposed for mankind in the beginning. That certainly is more loving and as far from pessimistic as on can get. God does not call down forever punishment on any. (James 1:12-15) .*.*.. 13*When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. 14*But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15*Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.

She may not yet explain the things she has learned with proper tact. And often new ones can jump ahead in deep water when the one they try to speak with one who can not yet swim, so they drown them in knowledge they are unable to comprehend at that point in time.
Please don't be discouraged by her actions. Just pull her aside and ask her to kindly tone it down especially around the kids. If you want to understand fully why she is so on fire with this message ask her for a bible study. It won't hurt you to know where her changes are coming from. If it is brainwashing, it is washing away of the lies and gaining a clean conscience before Jehovah. And please take no offense to the words "washing away lies" because these false teachings have been instilled in us for all our lives we generally just accept that they are fact.
If, after learning for yourself, you still see this as brainwashing and problematic, then simply cease and return to your comfort zone.
Thanks for listening.ohl

Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:

JW's do not believe in Hell...

Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmustbe View Post
Leli
Yes, all the JW are like this and it is truly sad, talk to your family member and explain that it is Jesus who is God and his number 1 rule is thou shall not Judge. The Jw are a cult that is hard to break, but if you want to see a change keep praying, he will see the truth. Remember to pray and speak over him in love.

Jenny
OMG! I disagree with a great many of the Jehovah's Witnesses doctrines, but how on earth can anybody say "the JWs are a cult" and "thou shalt not judge" in the same sentence? What are you doing if not judging?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
OMG! I disagree with a great many of the Jehovah's Witnesses doctrines, but how on earth can anybody say "the JWs are a cult" and "thou shalt not judge" in the same sentence? What are you doing if not judging?
Actually it was Paul that said that...Yeshua said that we are to judge a righteouss judgment..In other words, Remove the log from your own eye first so that you may see to remove the speck from your brother's eye...

Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree, and that what gets me when I hear religious groups judge other Chrisitan groups as being a cult or not truly worshiping God just because they interpret the bible differently.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Actually it was Paul that said that...Yeshua said that we are to judge a righteouss judgment..In other words, Remove the log from your own eye first so that you may see to remove the speck from your brother's eye...
When you take the log out of your eye, the speck you thought you saw in your brothers eye is no longer there.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When you take the log out of your eye, the speck you thought you saw in your brothers eye is no longer there.
That is not what it says...It plainly states, 'So that you may see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye', it does not imply that the speck is not there...It is akin to the blind leading the blind, both will fall into the ditch...

Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM

53 posts, read 44,372 times
A Jehovah's Witness came to my door (well 2 of them) and told me that if I did not join their church I would end up nowhere. Just dead and no life or punishment after death. Also if I did join the best I could get is life on earth and no chance to go to heaven.

What's up with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity