Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,783 times

Advertisements

Matthew 6: 1Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. 2Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

2 Corinthians 9: 7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,106 times
This is a HUGE disaster.

People in the midst of disasters don’t need anonymous saints, or require some level of purity in motive. What they need are actual people with faces to help and comfort them and as many charitable resources as possible applied to their problem.

I gave and I am definitely not boasting about it. I shall also give with devout prayer to those that have lossed ones, to those that are currently trapped in rubble, to those that are injured, to those that have lost their homes.

I pray that Haiti receives a lot of support emotionally and financially from people across the Globe.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
fully...I know all that. I was there during its last earthquake. It was in the ocean just off Port of Spain. You said, home area so what island?
I thought you knew by now that I was from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. That's the same place...um...what's her name, is from. She is a frequent poster around here.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I thought you knew by now that I was from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. That's the same place...um...what's her name, is from. She is a frequent poster around here.
cool!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Oh yeah, her screen name is Betsey Lane. She is from my island.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,510 times
The Salvation Army is accepting monetary donations to assist in the effort via, www.salvationarmyusa.org, 1-800-SAL-ARMY and postal mail at: The Salvation Army World Service Office, International Disaster Relief Fund, PO Box 630728, Baltimore, MD 21263-0728.

Puh-lease -- no one is bragging about giving -- just give and help others know how they can give! Provide addresses of real relief agencies. This is a major devastating Earthquake!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
One of my favoured charities ( I did a stint with them and they are people I greatly respect)

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,929,698 times
World Vision is another one.
They get good ratings on the charity watchdog orgs:
Sponsor a Child < Home | World Vision

Much love and prayers for our brothers and sisters suffering in Haiti..

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
I was surprised to hear that Salvation Army had 63 sites in Haiti.

Another faith-based group that is good and has people in place is Food For the Poor. Food For The Poor | Helping the Poor, Charitable Giving, International Relief | Serving the Poorest of the Poor

I'm sitting here petting my cat thinking how our pets have had better lives than most in Haiti.

Love, prayers and money. And hopefully we will learn something from this and not forget. God is with those in Haiti and, hopefully, this tragedy will bring God back to the center of many of the lives that have the privilege of living in a country such as ours.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,617 times
My guess is that some, maybe even many of us on this board will be contributing additionally, but all USA taxpayers will be contributing to Haiti because the federal government is providing aid, possibly massive amounts.

The church I affiliate with and frequently donate financially to (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Mormons) has already sent already prepared and waiting truck loads of emergency supplies from Dominica to Haiti and tomorrow and Friday will be sending two large plane loads of supplies. We will probably be contributing much more, including manpower, in the following few days as needs are assessed.

Our prayers are already on the way...

Donations for relief efforts for Haiti can be made at

http://give.lds.org/emergencyresponse.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/church-sends-additional-aid-to-haiti-earthquake-victims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity