Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
This is the blasephemy of the Holy Spirit in a nutshell, perhaps over simplified, but it is what it is: unbelief.

For the Jews of the day, is was unbelief: they did not believe that Jesus was the Christ and was sent (came from) the Father, but from Satan. They did not believe that the miracles he performed were of the Holy Spirit, but from Satan, a fallen spirit. Today the unforgivable sin is still unbelief: unbelief in the Son, that he was sent from the Father as the Spirit testifies. If this is the 'blasphemy' that you committed, and I don't believe it is, then you did commit blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But your concern about it tells me that you do not do this.

Every sin can be forgiven by the Son, but ultimately the only sin that can't be forgiven is unbelief.
I think there is truth in this ^^^.

If you think you have offended God in some way, a sincere asking for forgiveness is sufficient. If you still have faith, it is because He is still with you. Because His faith is a gift, and I don't think He would give a gift to someone who shouldn't have it.

Don't know if that makes sense.. But we just need to keep trusting Him. Remember that Jesus Christ is in you, and remember that he said he will never leave you. Never.

And, when we are weak..... then He is strong! So just wait upon Him until He fills you with comfort. Wait!

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
A development has occured since last night...

I had a dream where there was this man who spent his entire life building a pyramid of wooden spikes (hey it's a dream! ). He lived in the hollow inside the pyramid. I don't know why he did so, or what happened in the end, but I woke up feeling the dream was meaningful.

As usual, I feared the worst. My mind works in strange ways. I thought maybe the pyramid was my way to God, and if it was made of spikes, there was no way back to God, because maybe I had inadvertantly commited the unforgivable sin. Maybe I was the man hidiing in there because in the past I had been ashamed of my faith, and if I was climbing the pyramid I'd at least be bearing the torch. I believed it was God telling me there was no way back into his grace! Not that I believe I fell out of grace, even though I'm far from a good Christian (lukewarm at times), but you know how the mind works.

Then I thought, perhaps heretically, the pyramid was Christianity, and Christianity was created by some ancient Jewish doomsayers, and the man inside was like trapped in there or something (I imagined it, but didn't believe what it suggested, I'm not denying anything, I didn't believe it).

Then I thought it was probably just my sub-conscious fears. I mean God never gave me the powers of prophetic dreaming like in the Bible, and I have alot of negative themed thoughts that symbolically reflect my state of mind or mood at the time. Perhaps it's a representation of my sub-conscious fears. But a part of me fears it's God's way of telling me I'm doomed or something. It's ironic, because last night I was in a very positive mood, and I was assured of the love and truth of God, and that he was still with me. But the dream has somehow cast more unsettling doubts in my mind.

Two weeks ago, I had a dream I was being oppressed or attacked by some invisible evil force, maybe a demon. It wasn't long after I had seen the film 'Paranormal Activity' and what happened as pretty similar to that. I felt myself being pinned down or something by a force, and thrown across the room.

I awoke, afraid that I had been attacked by demon in my dream or something! Then, in my neurotic state, I felt evil powers were attacking me through my dreams. Then I thought, what if the Devil made me think those things about the Holy Spirit and snatched me away for good? I know God is all powerful, but these possibilities haunted me. Perhaps I'm going a little bonkers?
Trimac,the only reason I'm posting is because I can feel that you are struggling a bit. I'm not going to give advice as it isn't appropriate from an atheist,but I don't think you are going bonkers, nor do you have any disorders. You are getting some unwelcome thoughts in your head - I'm not going to say anything about those,but more about your concern that you are inadvertently blaspheming the Holy Spirit during this process.

I'd say that, a God who can see your sincere mental struggle with the images you describe is going to understand and not blame you for what is happening to you. He is hardly unacquainted with such ocurrences! I only say that you don't need to be fearful for either your sanity or of offending God, if you are doing your best.

I hope that might help a bit.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Trimac,the only reason I'm posting is because I can feel that you are struggling a bit. I'm not going to give advice as it isn't appropriate from an atheist,but I don't think you are going bonkers, nor do you have any disorders. You are getting some unwelcome thoughts in your head - I'm not going to say anything about those,but more about your concern that you are inadvertently blaspheming the Holy Spirit during this process.

I'd say that, a God who can see your sincere mental struggle with the images you describe is going to understand and not blame you for what is happening to you. He is hardly unacquainted with such ocurrences! I only say that you don't need to be fearful for either your sanity or of offending God, if you are doing your best.

I hope that might help a bit.
Agreed!

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,620 times
Well, Trust me.....you know when the Holy Spirit has left.There is a pain, and hole there there cannot be filled. Nothing will go right, and it is misery with no rest. Not day or night. Your health will more than likely decline along with it. The joy will be gone. Make your relationship good with the Lord today. Pray that He will restore me, but it has been a year, and it has made me sicker than any illness ever has.. Be careful with your thoughts and words, and actions. Follow the Bible and commandments as closely as you can, and seek Him in everything that you do.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 17,198 times
God is Good. There is a book i can recomend to you by Gloria Copeland it's called To Know Him...and its all about God. God is totaly loving and knows us by heart, and he Loves us all unconditionally. And he wants to be your best friend. What you did was more of a mind thing and not a heart thing. I was once told that if you do blasphem the holy spirit you have to do it with your whole heart. God knows when you mean it and when you dont he even knows when you do it when you are not yourself.

You are not the onlyone in this boat. I have been there too...a number of times. I blasphemed the holy ghost on perpous but i did not know the word. I did not know it was compleatly unforgiveable, makes me wish i did not do it. Paul was forgiven because Paul did not know the word so i figured God might have mercy on me as well. But i have done it since because i worryed about it so much.

Sometimes the enemy will attack our minds. He will try to get thoughts in your mind to cause you to freak out or steel your joy...you might want to go to God and ask him to set you free from these kinds of thoughts.

You can go over to the christian forums. They have an ocd chat forum where lots of people have done it by accident. God Bless you,
-Katy

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
I am paranoid that thinking something blasphemous about the Holy Spirit, even if you didn't mean it, is unforgivable.
OK Trimac, here is some advice from an Atheist.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. What's done is done. All you can do now is live the rest of your life like you know you should.

If your child admitted he or she had some bad thoughts, would you forgive them? Of course you would. Do you think your god loves you any less than you love your child?

Hey, find some old videos of Billy Graham on Youtube and watch them. He made Christians feel good about their relation with their god, not miserable. I think he has done more good for people than anyone now alive.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
OK Trimac, here is some advice from an Atheist.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. What's done is done. All you can do now is live the rest of your life like you know you should.

If your child admitted he or she had some bad thoughts, would you forgive them? Of course you would. Do you think your god loves you any less than you love your child?

Hey, find some old videos of Billy Graham on Youtube and watch them. He made Christians feel good about their relation with their god, not miserable. I think he has done more good for people than anyone now alive.
You know what that's not to bad advice. Although I'm not sure about where Mr Graham comes in on the good works league table

There are that many believers whose heads are mashed up with the the teachings and doctrines of men its unreal. I know the bibleans will scoff at this....... everywhere Jesus went he made everyone apart from those in allegiance to the religious system of the day feel good. The great anointed physician preached good news to the poor(not condemnation)set the prisoner free, opened the eyes of the blind,set the oppressed free and told the people they were in the year of the favor of The Lord. Although most of the recipients of the favor of The Lord didnt see it,Jesus Christ was ministering God to them,even the disciples who virtually saw everything he did in those 3 short years did not recognize it was God in him reaching out to the world.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,620 times
Well I am in constant fear and have been for a year now, not getting any better, and my health has gone and so have my friends. Please pray for me to have a refilling of the spirit.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb123 View Post
Well I am in constant fear and have been for a year now, not getting any better, and my health has gone and so have my friends. Please pray for me to have a refilling of the spirit.
My friend it is not a refilling you need(whatever that means). Fill your being with the truth that God loves you, He His for you,doesn't condemn you, is unconditional in His love,grace,mercy and forgiveness towards you and no matter what you have done, God was not moved by it, He remains faithful to you.

It is not your Heavenly Father bringing constant fear upon you, taking your friends from you and putting ill health upon you(your fear is the cause of all that). If you believe half of what I have said your fortunes will change.

That the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:6

You may not think there's anything good within you or even of God within you.............. There is and never listen to any(even a christian)voice that tells you otherwise.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
I'm a Christian but I have to admit I'm not always very faithful. Anyway, for awhile now I have been suffering from anxiety, partly caused by obsessive religion thoughts. They main centered on God's character; I would obsess about his justice, the fact he would send people to hell, ideas like pre-destination, the evil in the world, the fact when Christ returns he will judge the world violently, as in Revelation. Sometimes I would get so fearful I would forget the loving part of his nature and he would appear almost like an ogre in my mind. I always tried to dam up these thoughts before they would drive me insane.
Anyway, a couple of nights ago I was in a depressive mood when I thought about God I could only see him as being angry, and wrathful; i.e. that part of his personality. I felt he was merciless and hard to talk to. I know I shouldn't have been dwelling so much on it, but I continued to. Anyway, it got to the point where I thought that maybe God wasn't essentially good. Now I know he is, and believe that fully, but at the time, the Devil used fear to trick or try to convince me into believing otherwise. It's hard to explain; a part of me knew I was being deceived, yet a part of me - the fearful part - had the FEELING I was convinced it was true. This led to me thinking about the verses in the Bible where Jesus talks about the sin that will not be forgiven, and then I thought about the Holy Spirit. If God might not be good, and even evil, what if the Holy Spirit was? At the time I seemed to be convinced the Holy Spirit was somehow sinister; not that he was the Devil or anything, but that he wasn't all good and all Holy. I knew, deep down, these thoughts were false, and it seemed like someone else was putting them in there. For what seemed like 10 whole minutes I thought I believed this dreadful lie. I prayed to the Lord to deliver me, and after those 10 minutes I seemed to recover and the thought seemed so absurd and unbelievable. Yet there still remained a seed of doubt: 'what if?'
I was mortified that I had somehow thought something so offensive, so false and abominable about the Holy Spirit, that I had commited blasphemy in thought. I worried and worried, until the fear returned the next day, and the same thing happened. If I worried I did it and was damned forever the Devil would put the idea into my head that 'God is Evil'; it seemed so because he would cause me so much pain. Yet still I realised his holiness and his omnipotence; yet because of the fear he caused, the fearing part of my mind associated him with a sort of dreadfulness; I almost felt like one opposing God, even though I have never, ever wanted to or even felt tempted to, always understood who he was and his essential goodness. It was like I was experiencing the fear of his wrath. That flash when I felt God seemed evil made me think I had commited the sin. I feared that the Holy Spirit might have left me because I had become His enemy!
This, too, seemed to last about 10-15 minutes. Then the thoughts largely left me; but would still nag me from time to time. The attacks seemed to come out of the blue, and cause me to panic.
Even though I had no control over the thoughts, I sincerely repent of them and having the negative thoughts that preceded them. I prayed and tried to calm myself by reading the Bible, and don't THINK I have, but I still worry about WHAT IF? I can honestly say I had no control over my thoughts; it was like, when I was having them I couldn't believe I was having them. I sincerely believe Satan was using them to doubt my own attitude towards God; what I worry is, that even if I did it out of ignorance or fear (like the Pharisees) it would still be unacceptable and unforgivable. I think it would grossly unfair because I really didn't do it willfully at all, and all I want is to feel the same love and the dwelling of the Spirit. Yet I feel I have so shamed him that he would not dwell in me anymore, and I can't have the same love anymore.
I apologize if this was a bit long. I can't concentrate or think of anything else, it is tormenting me. I read up alot on the websites, and sometimes fear my case is different because I seemed to be convinced of my thoughts. Once again, they did not seem my own; in my heart I fought against them, resisted them, but evil powers seemed to overwhelm me at that point. I still held on and held out through the power and grace of God, yet I am still paranoid that that single THOUGHT was unforgivable. I feared it reflected some deep seated belief in my heart. I have read many interpretations of what the sin is, but I am paranoid that thinking something blasphemous about the Holy Spirit, even if you didn't mean it, is unforgivable. Please put my mind to rest!
Thankyou and God Bless,
John
John, think about Adam and Satan because neither ever showed remorse or repented.
Judas Iscarot also never showed repentance. Whereas Peter wept bitterly.
Please notice Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 to see if you fit into that category.
If it were not possible for you to show remorse or repent, then that would more likely show sinning against God's spirit.
Why not pray as Jesus taught at Luke 11 v 13 B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity