Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,016,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If the laws of that land state the penalty for evangelizing is death and, obviously the evangelist would know that, then, sure, observers should shrug their shoulders and say they were warned.
I can accept that.

So now this gets me wondering about this 'persecution' issue I keep seeing on this forum when it comes to Christians being jailed, tortured or killed in countries where evangelizing is prohibited. So, within the context of their laws, they are not wrong for dealing with Christians harshly in the same way ancient Israelites like Elijah enforced capital punishment laws? They get what they deserve no matter what we think about it I take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,001,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I can accept that.

So now this gets me wondering about this 'persecution' issue I keep seeing on this forum when it comes to Christians being jailed, tortured or killed in countries where evangelizing is prohibited. So, within the context of their laws, they are not wrong for dealing with Christians harshly in the same way ancient Israelites like Elijah enforced capital punishment laws? They get what they deserve no matter what we think about it I take it?
Sure they get what they deserve.
The apostle Paul was forbidden by the holy spirit to go into some countries. If eternal torment were true then the holy spirit was to blame that they didn't hear the gospel.

He probably would have been killed had he ventured into hostile territory.
He was killed anyway but not for going where he shouldn't have gone.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Sure they get what they deserve.
The apostle Paul was forbidden by the holy spirit to go into some countries. If eternal torment were true then the holy spirit was to blame that they didn't hear the gospel.

He probably would have been killed had he ventured into hostile territory.
He was killed anyway but not for going where he shouldn't have gone.

Hmm...interesting.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM

97 posts, read 55,968 times
I like your thinking.

The fact that Yahweh led such a blow to Baals priests AND to the "limping on two opinions" idol worshipping Israel at the time (1 Kings 18:21) showed a big difference in Elijahs attitude before the event.

Alone he was against an entire nation that had back slid its entire existence though they were in a covenant relationship with Yahweh. In and out of their troubles and woes they called on him and then promptly forgot him - like a spoilt child.

Sincere ones like Elijah had the dubious task at times to round the nation up to repent and turn back to Yahweh. By the time Jesus arrived he said the religious leaders of the nation had stoned prophets.

No wonder they were called stubborn, Isa 65:2 hard hearted, Matt 19:8 rebellious, Ezek 2:3 stiff necked Deut 9:6.

Despite the great victory over the nature god Baal and his worshippers, Elijah on hearing Jezebel was seeking to kill him fled!

Got the wobbles. Ran for his life as far as he could go.

Moral of the story: despite any victory we might have never lose sight of the one who allows us to have them. Rev 4:11 Rom 8:35 - 39

Expect nothing appreciate everything.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 PM

23,240 posts, read 10,527,389 times
Quote:
According to the Bible, it is alleged Jezebel killed the prophets of Yahweh. Elijah turns around and kills 500 prophets of the rival god, Baal. Why is one individual eternally demonized and the other hailed a hero in this war of the gods?
Jezebel had to be who she was and most of the world fall short and are judged because Jezebel is their mother.

This is said to Christians who keep the ways of Jezebel.

Rev 2
I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,823,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Jezebel had to be who she was and most of the world fall short and are judged because Jezebel is their mother.

This is said to Christians who keep the ways of Jezebel.

Rev 2
I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Now keep with numbers sir

Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,823,481 times
I know there may be a sea that foams at cost of the tide.
Yet month after month she is seen upon the shore. As a tide she walks unclean for count of a days. Yet why is the arrangement shorter for the male?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,000,871 times
Quote:
According to the Bible, it is alleged Jezebel killed the prophets of Yahweh. Elijah turns around and kills 500 prophets of the rival god, Baal. Why is one individual eternally demonized and the other hailed a hero in this war of the gods?
Elijah killed the false prophets who were leading the people away from the one and only true God, causing the people to commit idolatry and break the first commandment.

Jezebel was killing the good prophets who were trying to lead the people back to the one and only true God.

Killing the good prophets is not the only reason she is demonized. She also had the owner of a vineyard murdered so her husband could have it. She incited her husband to do evil.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,062,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Elijah killed the false prophets who were leading the people away from the one and only true God, causing the people to commit idolatry and break the first commandment.

Jezebel was killing the good prophets who were trying to lead the people back to the one and only true God.

Killing the good prophets is not the only reason she is demonized. She also had the owner of a vineyard murdered so her husband could have it. She incited her husband to do evil.

Amen ....and she still is doing her best to kill the Owner AND destroy His vineyard that's for producing the new wine of the Kingdom, as is amply demonstrated on this board daily. Peace

Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post

Eye for an eye, huh? Help the big guy out with taking vengeance upon his enemies. Kinda like an ancient ISIS.

Quote:
Now, THIS I can understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity