Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, not according to the Bible. Bible repeats over and over that one must come to the light and believe in Christ to be saved.

Accrding to the universalist belief all people are saved, and that means there is no need to know Christ. It's pretty plain and simple.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Believe, or perish. Now, THAT is plain and simple, and it also happens to be from the most famous Bible verse.
An atheist could look at that verse and conclude that (I don't believe this): "The Bible is a lie because it says whoever believes in him shall not perish, but I known many Christians who believed on him and still perished."

Christians understand that this doesn't promise we will never perish in this lifetime, but we will not perish in the afterlife. God's timeline for His promises are not the same as ours.

There are as many beliefs on this forum as there are people, but I think that when someone dies who never accepted Christ (perishable) they are dead in the grave until "death is swallowed up in victory." But, if someone dies who has accepted Christ (imperishable), they never perish and go on to eternal life at that time. Death would certainly have a victory if the huge majority of mankind perished or even worse, burned in hell for eternity...forever...and ever....and ever....still burning today...tomorrow....next year....next decade....next century...etc. That would be quite a victory for death.

1 Corinthians 15:

54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”g
55“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”h
56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 03-05-2010 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
No, not according to the Bible. Bible repeats over and over that one must come to the light and believe in Christ to be saved.

Accrding to the universalist belief all people are saved, and that means there is no need to know Christ. It's pretty plain and simple.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Believe, or perish. Now, THAT is plain and simple, and it also happens to be from the most famous Bible verse.
Yeah.. I think you are misunderstanding for sure now... whether in ignorance or on purpose I cannot tell.

But URers (at least I do anyway) believe that the grace of God (what you term salvation, right?) is the beginning of belief... Therefore all men are saved so they CAN come to God.. if they are not saved first they CANNOT come to God.. they are blind.

Did that help?

Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,640,225 times
Good grief.

UR's = saved, no action required. Not biblical.

ET's = saved, only through accepting Jesus Christ NOW, in this life. Biblical.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
But URers (at least I do anyway) believe that the grace of God (what you term salvation, right?) is the beginning of belief... Therefore all men are saved so they CAN come to God.. if they are not saved first they CANNOT come to God.. they are blind.

Did that help?
It would help if you answered this question I asked earlier.

All people are already saved, or will be automatically saved: Yes or No?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:13 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,203,944 times
Salvation is of the Lord, not of man. Is it so hard to believe that all men could be "enlightened", just as we were?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

370 posts, read 453,151 times
Quote:

I don't know why you persist on using the word automatically... GOD DRAWS EVERYONE TO HIMSELF. Automatically doesn't even make sense of that.

What you keep doing is called the either/or fallacy. Simillarly I could say, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" Yes or No?

Before asking ridiculous questions, try to understand our beliefs.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 PM

370 posts, read 453,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Yo must confess. That is how you are saved in Jesus...none other.
and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Good grief.

UR's = saved, no action required. Not biblical.

ET's = saved, only through accepting Jesus Christ NOW, in this life. Biblical.
UR - By grace only (producing faith, works, and belief)

ET's - works + grace

That is how I see it anyway.

Last edited by katjonjj; 03-05-2010 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Sry.. must've missed that one.....

I will counter with a question.. Does Christ die again each time someone is saved or did this all happen once, on the cross?

and yes all people now are saved under the covenant of grace.

I think of it as more like being literally BORN with the belief that you can commune with God (knowing him and his son)... I know I was... Before the cross it took a priest and holy words... a sacrifice or two.. etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminghedge View Post
and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity