Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
For me, it was definitely number 1. I stated earlier that I believed in ET back then, but I guess I just thought I believed it. Let's put it this way. It's not so much as I believed ET, as I accepted what I had been taught and didn't stop to think I could question it. Once God helped me to realize that the scriptures speak loud and clear that Jesus is the Savior of all and that the lake of fire is just symbolism, I was so at peace and didn't resist what was being written in my heart.

In the process of God revealing his full mercy, I thought if UR (I didn't know what to call it then) were true, then how could I be one of the few that realized it? It was like the band member that said, "We performed well but I was the only one in step!" LOL! I was so happy to find that there are many, many, Christians who have come to this truth, and as was mentioned on the board before, it turns out it's usually people who had already been Christians for many years and had matured in their relationship with God.
I know for me I really believed in hell for many years, but I just couldn't reconcile it out with God's love. So I didn't think about it much. I wasn't a sociopath. Whenever I really thought about hell, I would just "file it away" to think again about it later.

Like I said, option 3: Mental backfiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I know for me I really believed in hell for many years, but I just couldn't reconcile it out with God's love. So I didn't think about it much. I wasn't a sociopath. Whenever I really thought about hell, I would just "file it away" to think again about it later.

Like I said, option 3: Mental backfiling.
I see what you mean. I guess it could have been either one for me. If someone had asked me I would have definitely stood firm that I believed in a literal hell. If you watch Seinfeld, you'll probably remember the episode where Puddy kept telling Elaine she was going to hell. She said, "Then why didn't you try to save me!?" I liked that show, but it made me SO mad that they were making light of the situation, and I mentally backfiled the reality of what their point was, and chose not to think about it.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
I see what you mean. I guess it could have been either one for me. If someone had asked me I would have definitely stood firm that I believed in a literal hell. If you watch Seinfeld, you'll probably remember the episode where Puddy kept telling Elaine she was going to hell. She said, "Then why didn't you try to save me!?" I liked that show, but it made me SO mad that they were making light of the situation, and I mentally backfiled the reality of what their point was, and chose not to think about it.
LOL I remember that episode and remember thinking the same thing...

Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Also, by her insane reasoning, she must also be in favor of abortions for every woman who gets pregnant. After all it's the only way to be sure your kid goes to heaven, right? Kill 'em before they have a chance
to sin.
That is part of the insanity, yes. Is it a loophole that God didn't think about closing? I don't think so. The idea that God would leave abortion and child murder as an option to ensure one's salvation is insane.

So, where does that leave us? Either the babies go to hell because they haven't professed Christ or a mother can, in fact, ensure the child's salvation by her own doing.

Or, maybe since none of these options make sense, there is a lot of confusion about hell in the first place.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I believe in hell and I'm not a sociopath. Only 2 options is YOUR opinion. I know many people who believe in hell and aren't sociopaths. Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone thinks just like you?
Of course you are not going to realize you don't really believe it in your heart of hearts because you think it's true and that you must believe it. I have only met a scarce few sociopaths in my time and am fairly confident a large percentage of the population don't fit that description.

It is an ontological reality though (not just my opinion). Empathy for others means you suffer as they do. Legoman's third option is very valid though - we build emotional firewalls. Like sometimes I'll bock out starving/sick children just to get some rest. So, for I while I'll pretend they don't exist (subconsciously).

So here's all three:

1. They don't really, in their heart of hearts, believe in eternal torment
2. They are sociopaths which have no concern for the suffering of others
3. Mental backfiling, mental blocking, firewalling, doublethink. Holding two contradictory ideas to maintain your sanity and comfort zone.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
I would say this, there is no reason to believe when a believing woman hears the message that an infant doesn't have faith.

Psalm 22:10
From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.

Psalm 71:6
From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you.

Luke 1:41, 44
When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit......
As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Don't fret, babies can hear from inside the womb. Faith isn't a decision, or something the we must lean upon our understanding before it is ours, but a gift from God.

There is no age of accountability, but a time of grace.

Then take your concerns to the Lord,

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-12-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Get help for that person and child

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I would say this, there is no reason to believe when a believing woman hears the message that an infant doesn't have faith.

Psalm 22:10
From birth I was cast upon you; from my mother's womb you have been my God.

Psalm 71:6
From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you.

Luke 1:41, 44
When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit......
As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Don't fret, babies can hear from inside the womb. Faith isn't a decision, or something the we must lean upon our understanding before it is ours, but a gift from God.

Then take your concerns to the Lord,

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Those are very comforting words for sure. I'm not so sure the mother would be convinced that her baby will not grow up and go to hell, though.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
I have no desire to sin and especially don't look to it to brighten up my life. I have no desire to hurt God or anyone else with sin. I'm so thankful for Jesus' sacrifice that I want to honor and glorify him.

And you do it by spreading false religion?

Quote:
You just want to hold on to the traditions you've been taught for whatever reason. I have my opinion as to what some of the main reasons with ETers are.

Yes, you have your opinon, and that's all it is, an opinon. You couldn't possibly know people believe what they believe. Thanks for trying though.

I believe what I believe because the Bile clearly says so, and the Holy Spirit tells me so.

You testified that you converted away from Christianity because it was too tough. You took the easy out, and converted to a more convenient religion.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

I do not see anyone fretting over the babies, the point is that the mother killed the babies so that they would never have a chance to be in eternal hell based on growing older and then at some point being liable for thier decision.

What I highlighted in red, how far does that go? Does the 50 year old not have to make a decision of faith and not lean on their own understanding they are then saved soley by this gift? No choice to accept Christ needs to be made at any age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity