Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:08 PM

28,139 posts, read 30,085,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Sorry, I must of struck a chord...but it does seem like those who wish to have a greater glory in the afterlife are puffing up their egos.
Maybe. Maybe not. To me, it's just logical that those who have been more obedient would receive a greater reward than those who have been less obedient. It's not so much a matter of who gets the most, but of who wants to reach his or her full potential. I believe it's by obedience and faithfulness that we do this.

Quote:
Isn't the sun a star? And why would a natural satellite like the moon have a greater glory than a star which is similar to the sun just in a different system?
Let's leave science out of the equation. Paul was speaking of the glory of the sun, moon and stars, as they appear to human beings. The sun (while only an average star in terms of size) certainly does give off a great deal more light than any other star we can see. So, interpreting his words as he meant them to be interpreted, a celestial glory would be greater than a terrestrial glory. Something that is spoken of as lighter, brighter and more glorious than something else seems to me to be worth striving for, and not a matter of ego. To me, light, knowledge, truth are the object. If 100% of humanity were to obtain them, no one would be less than anyone else, so for me, it's definitely not a matter of getting something more than someone else gets. It's getting all that God has made available to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM

271 posts, read 394,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. To me, it's just logical that those who have been more obedient would receive a greater reward than those who have been less obedient.

Let's leave science out of the equation. Paul was speaking of the glory of the sun, moon and stars, as they appear to human beings. The sun (while only an average star in terms of size) certainly does give off a great deal more light than any other star we can see. So, interpreting his words as he meant them to be interpreted, a celestial glory would be greater than a terrestrial glory. Something that is spoken of as lighter, brighter and more glorious than something else seems to me to be worth striving for, and not a matter of ego.
I'm sorry ,but this is just going to go the way of, speculation via interpretation, and in the end most will likely ,still be standing in the same position, they were prior too. Going to go for a stroll. Peace to all...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:10 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,607,732 times
Quote:
All Christians want to go to Heaven, whether they figure it's just going to be them as a few close friends or the whole of God's creation. When you think of the afterlife, do you see Heaven as a kind of One-Size-Fits-All kind of place where everyone who actually made it will all find themselves in exactly the same circumstances?

Here's what I'm getting at: On one hand, consider a Christian you've always admired. I'll use Mother Theresa as my example. She lived her life in service to God and her fellow men. She certainly understood the Savior's commandment to love one another and to treat all human beings with respect and dignity. Now think of someone you know who really doesn't strike you as a very good person. When it comes to Christianity, this person is more than willing to talk the talk. He's just not all that good at walking the walk. Anyway, for some reason, God, in His mercy, allows this person to enter Heaven, right along with you and everybody else.

In the end, do you think it's really going to matter how we lived, as long as we get into Heaven? Or is Mother Theresa (or someone else, if you don't admire her as much as I do) going to have a greater reward in Heaven than the person you were kind of surprised to see there?

1. If you think Heaven's going to be the same for everyone who ends up there, what do you think Jesus meant when He said He was going to "judge every man according to his works"?

2. If you think Heaven's going to be different and that greater obedience, faithfulness, and righteousness on Earth are going to result in greater rewards in Heaven, how do you believe those rewards will differ from person to person?
Here is what the Scriptures say about eternal rewards...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...overcomes.html

Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Quote:
Very few believers will earn the full measure of eternal rewards, decorations and privileges that God wants to give to them at the judgment seat of Christ. Some believers will receive a few, and others will receive none at all. It all depends on the decisions that the believer made while on earth to pick up his cross and follow Christ. The decisions to be a disciple of Christ instead of just a believer. After the bema seat judgment, there will be no equality in Heaven. Some will be princes, but most will be paupers, so to speak. But everone will be happy.
I can go along with this.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,646,576 times
I believe that the likes of Mother Theresa will have many crowns of glory. I think the likes of me will have a rusty old tiara from the back of the closet somewhere.

Seriously, I think there are varying degrees of rewards. I think Billy Graham will have a mansion on the hill and I'll be living in the servant's quarters.

Apparantly I can't be serious.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:18 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,454,256 times
Quote:
All Christians want to go to Heaven, whether they figure it's just going to be them as a few close friends or the whole of God's creation. When you think of the afterlife, do you see Heaven as a kind of One-Size-Fits-All kind of place where everyone who actually made it will all find themselves in exactly the same circumstances?

Here's what I'm getting at: On one hand, consider a Christian you've always admired. I'll use Mother Theresa as my example. She lived her life in service to God and her fellow men. She certainly understood the Savior's commandment to love one another and to treat all human beings with respect and dignity. Now think of someone you know who really doesn't strike you as a very good person. When it comes to Christianity, this person is more than willing to talk the talk. He's just not all that good at walking the walk. Anyway, for some reason, God, in His mercy, allows this person to enter Heaven, right along with you and everybody else.

In the end, do you think it's really going to matter how we lived, as long as we get into Heaven? Or is Mother Theresa (or someone else, if you don't admire her as much as I do) going to have a greater reward in Heaven than the person you were kind of surprised to see there?

1. If you think Heaven's going to be the same for everyone who ends up there, what do you think Jesus meant when He said He was going to "judge every man according to his works"?

2. If you think Heaven's going to be different and that greater obedience, faithfulness, and righteousness on Earth are going to result in greater rewards in Heaven, how do you believe those rewards will differ from person to person?

I don't have any idea, for these are things yet to come. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, (call me selfish... if you must) just being in His presence would truly be enough for me. So today, I try to concentrate on trying to get everybody that I know of there...You understand?

Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,090,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I think the likes of me will have a rusty old tiara from the back of the closet somewhere.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the sh*tty room way in the back with a window that's bricked shut. I'm working on that, though...

Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,646,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the sh*tty room way in the back with a window that's bricked shut. I'm working on that, though...
LOL....I'm working on it too. I've always said I'd be in the back 40 somewhere and I've had other people tell me similar things...that needs to stop!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,525,858 times
Quote:

Answer
1. When the judge pronounces his verdict, it will based on faith.

Heavenly Father says
"But my righteous one will live by faith.
And if he shrinks back,
I will not be pleased with him."

Romans 3:22
This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Romans 5:1
[ Peace and Joy ] Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

because of what we have faith in (namely Jesus)....God see's us now as just, holy, perfect. Therefore we are now perfect.

However, the one who places his hope in their own works, no longer has faith. They too will be judged according to their works. And what God see's is imperfect .And as such, you're not holy, perfect or just to God and will be judged, condemned forever in hell ("outer darkness").

As far as making a difference on how we live.....it is on how you mean that.

Being you're a Mormon and proving yourself worthy is why you believe people are here on earth....no.

But the punishment for in hell (outer darkness) will be. It will be more bearable for the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, Tyre and Sidon than those who had the word proclaimed and refuse.

But knowing the Mormon setup\response to this....God's Word (which is only the Bible) also says that this doesn't mean we can abuse God's free gift.

Romans 6:1,2
What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?......By no means!

Anybody is fooling themself if they think that God will let "the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers, the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars, everyone who loves and practices falsehood, self-seeking, and who reject the truth" into heaven.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Being you're a Mormon and proving yourself worthy is why you believe people are here on earth....no.

But knowing the Mormon setup\response to this....God's Word (which is only the Bible) also says that this doesn't mean we can abuse God's free gift.
How about we make a deal, twin.spin. I'll tell people what my church teaches and you tell people what your church teaches. Trust me, I don't need your help to tell me what I believe.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-16-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity