Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

All Christians want to go to Heaven, whether they figure it's just going to be them as a few close friends or the whole of God's creation. When you think of the afterlife, do you see Heaven as a kind of One-Size-Fits-All kind of place where everyone who actually made it will all find themselves in exactly the same circumstances?

Here's what I'm getting at: On one hand, consider a Christian you've always admired. I'll use Mother Theresa as my example. She lived her life in service to God and her fellow men. She certainly understood the Savior's commandment to love one another and to treat all human beings with respect and dignity. Now think of someone you know who really doesn't strike you as a very good person. When it comes to Christianity, this person is more than willing to talk the talk. He's just not all that good at walking the walk. Anyway, for some reason, God, in His mercy, allows this person to enter Heaven, right along with you and everybody else.

In the end, do you think it's really going to matter how we lived, as long as we get into Heaven? Or is Mother Theresa (or someone else, if you don't admire her as much as I do) going to have a greater reward in Heaven than the person you were kind of surprised to see there?

1. If you think Heaven's going to be the same for everyone who ends up there, what do you think Jesus meant when He said He was going to "judge every man according to his works"?

2. If you think Heaven's going to be different and that greater obedience, faithfulness, and righteousness on Earth are going to result in greater rewards in Heaven, how do you believe those rewards will differ from person to person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Interesting question. I don't know the answer. But I do know that the amount of suffering visited upon the people in this world varies widely for no apparent rhyme or reason.

Heartsong

Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
All Christians want to go to Heaven, whether they figure it's just going to be them as a few close friends or the whole of God's creation. When you think of the afterlife, do you see Heaven as a kind of One-Size-Fits-All kind of place where everyone who actually made it will all find themselves in exactly the same circumstances?

Here's what I'm getting at: On one hand, consider a Christian you've always admired. I'll use Mother Theresa as my example. She lived her life in service to God and her fellow men. She certainly understood the Savior's commandment to love one another and to treat all human beings with respect and dignity. Now think of someone you know who really doesn't strike you as a very good person. When it comes to Christianity, this person is more than willing to talk the talk. He's just not all that good at walking the walk. Anyway, for some reason, God, in His mercy, allows this person to enter Heaven, right along with you and everybody else.

In the end, do you think it's really going to matter how we lived, as long as we get into Heaven? Or is Mother Theresa (or someone else, if you don't admire her as much as I do) going to have a greater reward in Heaven than the person you were kind of surprised to see there?

1. If you think Heaven's going to be the same for everyone who ends up there, what do you think Jesus meant when He said He was going to "judge every man according to his works"?

2. If you think Heaven's going to be different and that greater obedience, faithfulness, and righteousness on Earth are going to result in greater rewards in Heaven, how do you believe those rewards will differ from person to person?
Heaven and hell are places as well as conditions. The condition of the soul determines the place in heaven/hell (light or darkness). Heaven is really just one big place and the farther we are from God, soul encrustments, the darker our place will be.

We will be seperated according to our deeds or actions. This is called the Law of Attraction. Murders will be with murderers, rapists with rapists, etc. Good people will not be with bad people. Only on earth do we intermingle with other soul conditions.

The many masions Jesus often spoke of are just that. The soul conditions of man.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
If it were a level playing field, that might make sense - but it is not there are some that are dealt a rough hand and struggle just to survive, there are some that appear good but have been been dealt a good hand and have not overcome any adversity..............

I do believe that we will still have individuality of some sort but I do not think in the Spirit that there will be first and second class citizens ---- but I do believe that judgment that is received will be based on what good and bad has been done in this life, and what the intent of the heart was, and what adversity (Satan) has been overcome.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

1Pe 4:5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
1Pe 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Heaven and hell are places as well as conditions. The condition of the soul determines the place in heaven/hell (light or darkness). Heaven is really just one big place and the farther we are from God, soul encrustments, the darker our place will be.

We will be seperated according to our deeds or actions. This is called the Law of Attraction. Murders will be with murderers, rapists with rapists, etc. Good people will not be with bad people. Only on earth do we intermingle with other soul conditions.
That's interesting. That's pretty much in line with my beliefs.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

I believe it is the same as the parable of the workers... everyone gets the same... but as to your questions:

Quote:
I believe judging happens the moment the work is done. You lie... insta-guilt. You steal...insta-guilt. Therefore every man IS judged for their works right here on earth.. I don't think sins can be counted once the body is dead... Once you die the point in judgment (and reward) is moot...IMO

Quote:
I think heaven is different for everyone... yet not different, but that said, I don't believe in a pearly gates type heaven anyway... so I guess I'm not really helpful in answering the questions.... sorry.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Heaven is where I get to eat all my mother-in-law's lasagna and never get fat. Heaven is where my angelic image is curvy, my boobs are perfect, my double-chin no longer exists, and my breath smells like lilacs. Heaven will of course involve regular orgasms, and chili-cheese-dogs with extra onions. In Heaven, there are no children, and all the men look like a young Mel Gibson. Heaven's visuals will be more vivid and colorful than an LSD trip, but as calm as a breeze on a meadow. There is no menstruation, in Heaven. Birds sing in Heaven, but they do not poop on the alabaster statues in the central square.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:44 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heaven is where I get to eat all my mother-in-law's lasagna and never get fat. Heaven is where my angelic image is curvy, my boobs are perfect, my double-chin no longer exists, and my breath smells like lilacs. Heaven will of course involve regular orgasms, and chili-cheese-dogs with extra onions. In Heaven, there are no children, and all the men look like a young Mel Gibson. Heaven's visuals will be more vivid and colorful than an LSD trip, but as calm as a breeze on a meadow. There is no menstruation, in Heaven. Birds sing in Heaven, but they do not poop on the alabaster statues in the central square.
Sign me up!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
If we do not know Jesus Christ or his Spirit than we will die in your sins. and be lost to the Lord God forever, because The Lord is a God of Goodness and Rightousness and he rejects the darkness of this world..........So if we believe you can reject knowing Jesus and murderers and rapist live forever than we are deceived and there is no truth in us....legalism is a dead end and thaws the Holy Spirit in his tracks........ Heaven is for the rightous who know Jesus and Holy Spirit is the only Person on the earth how knows where Heaven is so if we pass on Holy Spirit of The Son of God than we pass on Heaven...... Jesus rejoiced that the unrightous religous of his day will not be going to Heaven `` saying you have to far more than the scribs and the pharisees to enter the kingdom of Heaven````... so we have to ask if we are far better rightous than these types of groups or why bother even knowing Jesus or God at all.........

Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I believe judging happens the moment the work is done. You lie... insta-guilt. You steal...insta-guilt. Therefore every man IS judged for their works right here on earth.. I don't think sins can be counted once the body is dead... Once you die the point in judgment (and reward) is moot...IMO
That would work in an ideal world, maybe ---- but what about those situations when people have lied, killed and stole while believing they are doing the will of God and have physically died believing that. For them there is no guilt or judgment, so when does judgment happen.

And what of Hebrews, judgment seems to happen after death

Quote:
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity