Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM

357 posts, read 1,465,646 times

Advertisements

Ok, i am not going to say that homosexual activity is not a sin, since it is entirely clear in Leviticus that it is. I am wondering what was God's reason for making it a sin.

Most sins such as stealing, lying or murder, hurt somebody, or cause somebody to be unwillingly inconvenienced. True, any type of sex can lead to STDs, but if both partners are virginal or clean (or use protection), then the sex is not hurting anyone , assuming it is consensual for both parties.

I've heard people say it is a sin because it is against God's intention and/or natural law's intention for the use of our genitilia....but what if I were to use another body part, say my toenails, for a purpose contrary to what God/natural law made them for. If i am double jointed and strretch my leg behind my back and use my fingernails to scratch my back, i run the risk of harming myself, and I am clearly using my legs/feet and toenails for a purpose they were not bcreated for...but is it a sin? No, i really do not think it is.

Some would also say that being homosexual is against God's commandment to be fruitful and multiply. But what about priests who do not marry and procreate or someone with a hazardous job who does'nt want to bring children into the world for the fear that they would sooner or later have to deal with their father dying in a work-related accident....these people are breaking God's commandment to multiply, yet i would'nt think that their decision to do so would be considered sinful by God.

Please help me understand why God views homosexual behavior as sinful...could it possibly have been a commandment that only applied to ancient Israelites so that they would survive as a distinct nation and not assimilate to the ways of the pagans (pagans had lots of gay sex)...so would this law fall into the same category as the one about not having a goatee (Leviticus 19:27....the Egyptians wore goatees and God did'nt want the Jews to adopt pagan customs, he wanted them to have a unique culture that would set them apart and help Israel survive until the Savior came)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Sounds like a possibility. Or maybe God isn't the one who made the law. Maybe it was the leaders of the Israelites putting words in God's mouth. The more procreating their people did, the more populous and stronger they became as a nation so perhaps they would want to curtail anything that would hinder that.

Or, possibly, homosexuality is not the optimal healthy lifestyle psychologically, emotionally or physically and so it was a warning to avoid it for those reasons. (I don't know, personally, if this is the case ... just throwing it out there as a possibility.) Sort of like a lifestyle of gluttony, alcoholism, laziness, etc. which are all warned against. They are all harmful to the individual and, to some degree then, to the community at large.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sounds like a possibility. Or maybe God isn't the one who made the law. Maybe it was the leaders of the Israelites were putting words in God's mouth. The more procreating their people did, the more populous and stronger they became as a nation so perhaps they would want to curtail anything that would hinder that.

Or, possibly, homosexuality is not the optimal healthy lifestyle psychologically, emotionally or physically and so it was a warning to avoid it for those reasons. (I don't know, personally, if this is the case ... just throwing it out there as a possibility.) Sort of like a lifestyle of gluttony, alcoholism, laziness, etc. are all harmful to the person and, to some degree then, to the community at large.
possibly, but if homosexuality is a sin because it is unhealthy, then can it be assumed that eating an entire case of Krispee Kreme donuts can send you to Hell? If so, then there's gonna be alot of issues considering Krispee Kreme's base of popularity lies within America's so-called "Bible Belt"

Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Any sex outside of a man/woman marriage is considered sexual immorality, and homosexuality falls in that category. It is sexual immorality, and it is sinful.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
since it is entirely clear in Leviticus that it is.
No it isn't clear.

The Old testament is silent on homosexuality as a term. It can be interpreted through modern translations that there is a problem concerning males and most likely had more to do with anal sex than it did with the relationship itself because of hygene.

The same wording cannot be applied to females which brings question to the entire belief that homosexuality is wrong in and of itself.

The new testament is also silent on homosexuality as a term. It is more interpretation and ambigious definitions that it is said that it applies to homosexuality.

The issue is an always has been non consentual and loveless relationships that consist of people using one another for their personal gratification. You can find these kinds of behaviors in heterosexuality and homosexuality.

Last edited by Phazelwood; 05-18-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Any sex outside of a man/woman marriage is considered sexual immorality, and homosexuality falls in that category. It is sexual immorality, and it is sinful.
But why? If any sex outside of man/woman marriage is sexual immorality, why isn't dancing outside of man/woman marriage considered dancual immorality? How is sex any differant than dancing...both are (or can be) consensual activites that are preceived to be fun/excilerating. Both can be dangerous at times if protective measures are'nt taken (ie-dancers getting carried away and falling over other dancers), but if consensual, neither sex nor dancing is designed to hurt anyone and when I think of a "sin", i think of something that one does that is designed to hurt another human being in some way.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 AM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
Ok, i am not going to say that homosexual activity is not a sin, since it is entirely clear in Leviticus that it is. I am wondering what was God's reason for making it a sin.
Why does it matter?

God only asked Adam not to eat fruit from a certain tree? Why? What's the big deal about a stupid tree? Satan had an answer - and it ruined all of mankind.

Just trust God, do your best to follow God's plan, and move on to something productive.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 AM

45,724 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No it isn't clear.

The Old testament is silent on homosexuality as a term. It can be interpreted through modern translations that there is a problem concerning males and most likely had more to do with anal sex than it did with the relationship itself because of hygene.

The same wording cannot be applied to females which brings question to the entire belief that homosexuality is wrong in and of itself.

The new testament is also silent on homosexuality as a term. It is more interpretation and ambigious definitions that it is said that it applies to homosexuality.

The issue is an always has been non consentual and loveless relationships that consist of people using one another for their personal gratification. You can find these kinds of behaviors in heterosexuality and homosexuality.
This answer proves why discussions like this are fruitless.

The practice by women and men is called "error" in Romans 1:26-27.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why does it matter?

God only asked Adam not to eat fruit from a certain tree? Why? What's the big deal about a stupid tree? Satan had an answer - and it ruined all of mankind.

Just trust God, do your best to follow God's plan, and move on to something productive.
It matters the same way a plot of a movie matters, meaning that, if it does'nt make sense to me, i'll start to wonder what the creator was thinking...

Humans are inquisitive by nature and seek to understand...God made us this way. Now some people are fine with homosexual relations being sinful because it does'nt apply to them, or because they personally find anal sex disgusting, so they don't question why it is forbidden.

But lets say something more trivial was considered a sin against God in the Bible....lets just say snapping your fingers or clapping your hands......if that were the case, i bet alot of people would be investigating and/or questioning the circumstances of that particular commandment

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times
Quote:
But why? If any sex outside of man/woman marriage is sexual immorality, why isn't dancing outside of man/woman marriage considered dancual immorality? How is sex any differant than dancing...both are (or can be) consensual activites that are preceived to be fun/excilerating. Both can be dangerous at times if protective measures are'nt taken (ie-dancers getting carried away and falling over other dancers), but if consensual, neither sex nor dancing is designed to hurt anyone and when I think of a "sin", i think of something that one does that is designed to hurt another human being in some way.
Dancing? Sex is reserved for man/woman couples in holy matrimony. That's how God wants it. The Bible doesn't talk about dancing like it talks about sexual immorality, and it talks about sexual immorality A LOT. It is not about hurting anyone, it is about sinning with your body, which is sinful, and incompatible with God. Remember that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and when you sin with your body you bring sin to the temple of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit cannot reside in such body which engages in sin habitually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity