Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,956,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
We all have troubles. Does not excuse the use of profanity on a Christian forum.

Weak point, your approval of my language does not indicate anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The belief in a god who would set people on fire for eternity does strange
things to parents. If you BELIEVE that the child you love is going to be
eternally tormented by God, sad things are going to happen.

I think it was Bright Hope For Tomorrow who said that she thinks most Christians don't truly believe, DEEP DOWN, that God will do any such thing. I
would have to say, if they did, we would have more kids end up being part of
those abuses and traumas. I'm talking about those with vivid imaginations and a die-hard BELIEF in hell; like Andrea Yates, the mother who drowned her kids.

Anyhow, Phazelwood, I'm sorry you had to grow up like that. My childhood (and adulthood) hasn't been a sun-shiny walk either. If your parents don't understand that God is LOVE, how are they supposed to properly and unconditionally love their children?

Thank you. Doctrines can shape how we view things.

Terrorists are influenced by their beliefs.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Indeed!! And what are those fruits?? LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GENTLENESS!!

What were the Crusades about, again?

I'm not sure Phazelwood's momentary frustration and use of "BS" is cause for you to judge him. I don't think he's out there burning people at the stake (are you, Phazelwood), which is definitely not a fruit of the Spirit, by the way.

I don't pretend to always exhibit the fruits of the spirit, I am me and I grow day by day. I do not excuse my actions in the name of God which is what many of those who critisize me do.

Righteous judgment they call it. uh huh.....

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
I don't make any excuses for your parents, however all that happened to you taught you not to be like them.

God Bless,
Mercy
It is not just about me. They are robbed of the joys of being close to their children.

I pray every day that God does not hold their actions against them in any way. They are still alive and all their children are too, I pray for an awakening even if on earth it is only for a short time that we enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hmmm. Not really sure what is more profane than people spouting the profane notion that our Father will torture most of the beings He created for all eternity..

Don't even go there sciotamicks.
The horrendous things that are attributed to God on this forum by those who believe in eternal torment are the MOST profane things the carnal mind could ever possibly imagine.

Yes, they capture the typical religious nonsense of "banner" words. A word is considered by a religious sect to be bad, so if someone uses it, of course then they can dance around the ridiculouness of their doctrine and focus upon the bad word.

But, they justify many of their comments as apporved by God, so they can do many things and just say "God approves".

Fortunatly, Gods promise will get rid of that in all of us.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I told you what the scriptural support is....Christ Himself!! My knowledge is as deep as anyone else's here.....I just have a low tolerance for stupidity. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen and stop resorting to insults. THAT makes a person look unintelligent.
I am not insulting...stateing an observation...are you trying to say that Christ talks to you regarding things outside of Scripture?...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Come on people, lets hear real life accounts of kids with universalist parents who admonished their kids behaviour by threatening them with the wrath of God.

Let's hear the Universalist stories of these Christian parents who told their kids how displeasing they were to God.

Lets hear the universalist stories of the love told and shown by them with the qualifier that if they rejected the love they were being shown that God would let them burn forever.

Come on, surely there are some.
I had the same experience and though my dad was never into that, my mother is still under the impression I am going to hell and even refuses to associate with me, let alone have my own siblings (that are still young) over. She states that my actions as a child (I was quite rebellious) requires her to keep her distance but you should here what SHE did as a child! Yet she believes in hell so she is safe... I don't believe in hell so I must be going there!

It was terrible growing up with hell hanging over my head. There was emotional and physical abuse in the name of God. I've heard my own mother praying to God saying "if she's going to end up in hell then God strike her down now!"

Yet my mother goes to church umpteen times a week and only associates with church people....

Now I have NEVER said anything about hell to my children... and I never will!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Come on people, lets hear real life accounts of kids with universalist parents who admonished their kids behaviour by threatening them with the wrath of God.

Let's hear the Universalist stories of these Christian parents who told their kids how displeasing they were to God.

Lets hear the universalist stories of the love told and shown by them with the qualifier that if they rejected the love they were being shown that God would let them burn forever.

Come on, surely there are some.
I always told my daughter from birth to an adult that God created her for a very special reason, that she was important to God and that there was not another one like her, never was one like her and never will be another like her.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I always told my daughter from birth to an adult that God created her for a very special reason, that she was important to God and that there was not another one like her, never was one like her and never will be another like her.
Like it

Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,443,752 times
Has this thread gone off topic again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity