Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a 3-in-1 God?
Yes 45 56.96%
No 34 43.04%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:12 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, but "one" in what way? How are they "one" if they are separate.

The same way H2O can be a solid, a liquid, & a gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The same way H2O can be a solid, a liquid, & a gas.
Yet we see evidence in the bible of all three being in the same place at the same time during Christ's baptism... Water cannot be solid, liquid, and gas at the same time.

Water in it's states is not a very good analogy unless you think God simply changes states...

Personally I don't believe in the trinity because the spirit of God is not separate from God... it's God's spirit...God IS spirit. Also, Christ WAS separate and human... therefore the trinity isn't taught in the bible and is illogical anyway IMO.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the Trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list.

But if one decides otherwise or "interprets" certain scriptures to say otherwise then one can decide the Trinity doctrine is incorrect.

Please excuse me for being hard nosed on this issue, but IMO if the Bible says the ski is blue in plain Greek then I just say OK. The Bible says the ski is blue and I don't try to expain it away. I submit to God's word even tho I might not understand it 100%.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

The concept of the Trinity is based on what the Bible teaches. The doctrine of the Trinity is not stated in one sentence per se, but rather like this. If A=B and B=C then A=C. So we have scriptures that say Jesus is God such as John 1:1 and 1:14 plus Phil 2:5-8. Other scriptures say the Holy Spirit is God such as Romans 8:9-11, 2Cor 3:3 and 17-18 plus Acts 5:3-4. This is the short list.

But if one decides otherwise or "interprets" certain scriptures to say otherwise then one can decide the Trinity doctrine is incorrect.

Please excuse me for being hard nosed on this issue, but IMO if the Bible says the ski is blue in plain Greek then I just say OK. The Bible says the ski is blue and I don't try to expain it away. I submit to God's word even tho I might not understand it 100%.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,094,231 times
Quote:
I'm really surprised to see so many non-trinitarian Christians on this forum. I'd kind of like to see a count of how many there actually are. For the sake of this discussion, I'd like to explain what I mean by "Trinity." I am referring to the 3-in-1 God described in the Nicene Creed. For instance, I believe in a Godhead comprised of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, but I don't believe they are merely different manifestations of the same Being. For that reason, I am voting 'No.'

of course NOT

Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times
Quote:
I'm really surprised to see so many non-trinitarian Christians on this forum. I'd kind of like to see a count of how many there actually are. For the sake of this discussion, I'd like to explain what I mean by "Trinity." I am referring to the 3-in-1 God described in the Nicene Creed. For instance, I believe in a Godhead comprised of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, but I don't believe they are merely different manifestations of the same Being. For that reason, I am voting 'No.'
There is one God, yet manifested into three distinct beings--God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Father is not the Holy Spirit, yet the Father is God, The Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God--all of them being one, with one purpose in mind (to offer Grace, Redemption, and comfort). God the Father saves us by grace, God the Son redeems us by his sacrificial death, and God the Holy Spirit, comforts us and helps convict us of all unrighteousness.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you believe in the Trinity or not?-trinity-diagram.jpg  

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
There is one God, yet manifested into three distinct beings--God the father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Father is not the Holy Spirit, yet the Father is God, The Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God--all of them being one, with one purpose in mind (to offer Grace, Redemption, and comfort). God the Father saves us by grace, God the Son redeems us by his sacrificial death, and God the Holy Spirit, comforts us and helps convict us of all unrighteousness.
The same could be said about the Doe family... John, Jane, Johnnie...

John is a Doe, Jane is a Doe, Johnnie is a Doe but John is not Jane and Jane is not Johnnie and Johnnie is not John....

Yet they are all Doe's.... Problem? They have the same LAST NAME and the same FAMILY but they are not three in one.

In the Trinity is God the surname?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It's real simple, separate but one. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. I think if you try and dwell on this too much it becomes confusing. Honestly, none of us can really understand and everything is assumption and surmising beyond believing that God is One, but has three parts.
unbelievable.
i'am so glad of your honesty.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:42 PM

33,276 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
And I like the diagram.

It's absolutely amazing, though not surprising, how even though the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God, there are people who simply refuse to believe it. And the Holy Spirit is identified as a Person, not a force or attribute, and again, many people deny it.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And I like the diagram.

It's absolutely amazing, though not surprising, how even though the Bible states it outright that Jesus Christ is God, there are people who simply refuse to believe it. And the Holy Spirit is identified as a Person, not a force or attribute, and again, many people deny it.
God is a Spirit , God is Holy , God is our Father, how come you see 3 of anything ? .

Jrsus clearly told us that God is one and not triune .

Hear o Israel the Lord our God is one God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity