Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 09:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,527 times

Advertisements

My folks own one. It is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our perceptions:
Decent pick up bed size.The bed is actually smaller than most midsize trucks.
reasonable hauling/towing weight capability.
Very good to excellent off road capability (also narrower than a standard pick up). It is the same width as the other midsize trucks.
Able to go out on beaches/dunes. Any truck can do this is you air down the tires.
A convertible pick up truck - how cool is that?
Good in snow. Totally depends on the tires used.
Reasonably comfortable for 4 people, or two people and a big dog.
Can be flat towed behind an RV.
Cool looking.
Way more fun than a regular pick up.

Downsides we know of:
Terrible screen electronics system. System is actually really good.
Bad MPG. Mileage is on par with other midsize trucks.
Absurdly high price. Price can be high is it is highly optioned, but so are other trucks.
Storage and risk of theft of removable parts (top, doors, etc).
Somewhat underpowered. Compared to what?
Being Chrysler - high probability of many of the cool features breaking pretty early on. This is not true.
Engine stupidly and unnecessarily complex.Um, no.
The bigger difference between the Gladiator and other midsize trucks is that it uses a solid axle up front. This gives the truck a completely different road feel and handling characteristics. Some like it, some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,723,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Lack of power seats and telescopic steering wheel as deal breakers show how far the Jeep clientele has come.
Mine's got telescopic steering wheel. but yea that's not why I got it..........

Old 11-23-2020, 09:06 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I am on my third Wrangler (a 2021 Sahara Altitude), and have had 4 Chrysler Corp products since 2013 (Including two Chargers and my wife presently has a Grand Cherokee). Here is my perspective on your concerns.

The Uconnect system is fantastic. Way easier to use than other systems we have had in Ford and Subaru products over the same timespan). As mentioned above, third parties routinely praise it too. It is widely considered among the best touchscreen interfaces in the industry.

The V6 Gladiator fuel economy is rated 17-22 (19 combined). An equivalent 4WD 3.5L V6 Tacoma is 18-22 (20 combined). A V6 4wd Colorado is 17-24 (19 combined). Gladiator seems class competitive to me. However, if it is that big of a deal, the EcoDiesel is going to be in the 2021 Gladiator too with 22/28 and 24 combined mileage. (This engine has gotten a lot of praise for power and economy in the Wrangler).

MSRP is not cheap, but if they ultimately hold value like the Wranglers the cost of ownership may end up being lower than competitors.

Across three Wranglers I never had anything stolen off of them.

My V6 Wrangler is certainly not underpowered. I am not racing V8s from stoplights, but it feels quick and powerful from behind the wheel. I have not wanted for more power. However, if it is a concern, it sounds like the ecodiesel is the way to go based on reviews.

Everyone's reliability experience can vary greatly, but I have not had any reliability issues with any of the four Chrysler products we have had this past decade. Among them, I have had 1 warranty repair on my 2013 Charger when the cruise control button broke, and 1 post warranty repair on my 2016 Charger to repair a malfunctioning sensor.

The Pentastar V6 has won a lot of industry rewards for it's design and at this point is a relatively perfected engine. I have had no issues with them. Maybe you are referring the additional mild hybrid complexity on the etorque versions? To my knowledge, the Gladiators are not getting etorque (at least yet).

Overall, I have been very happy with my mopar vehicles and they have been as reliable, and as well built (and in some instances with better quality of materials) than the Subarus and Honda my wife has also had in recent times.

Get one if you think it would be fun!

Old 11-24-2020, 03:51 AM

Putting 2 thousand miles on ours next week I'll let you know how it goes! Gonna be fun!

Old 12-29-2020, 11:51 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^
Feed back on our recent trip.
Actually put @3300 miles on the gladiator the first couple weeks in Dec. We found the ride to be pretty good. Road noise was acceptable to us. The heated seats are great. Seemed to be enough room for my 6ft 250lb bulk. The control ergonomics are fine except the turn signal switch feels like it going to break when you use it. Cruise control, radio control, HVAC all good and easy to use. Car talk worked well with my I-phone. Window control in the center of council took some getting used to as did the engine cutout switch. (have to manual switch off every time) While it was unplanned I ended up hauling my Dads golf cart down to Texas for him (long story) and the Jeep seemed to handle it fine. mileage dropped down to 12/13 mpg from the 16/17 with no load. We did drive it on the beach in Padre Island with no problems All in all happy with it so far!!!!

Old 12-29-2020, 11:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Putting 2 thousand miles on ours next week I'll let you know how it goes! Gonna be fun!
How is it doing?

Is the penthastar not absurdly complex for no reason like the so called "Hemi" is?

We have several Chrysler products now. They are from FCA but not new. The typical breakage from Chrysler using uber cheap accessory parts is present in all of them. Nothing major, just a ton of little things that break constantly (noticeably more frequently than in our Chevy or Ford vehicles). And U-Connect - in my truck no matter what I tell it to do, most of the time, it tries to call a tow truck (which is funny given Dodge's reputation from the 1990s and early 2000s). Maybe some of those things have improved recently. It is the fact that it is a Chrysler product that makes me the most nervous about the Gladiator. Especially since it is a new model.

Looking at reviews, the Gladiator may not be as good off road as the Colorado. Hopefully they will improve the suspension in late models of the gladiator.

We are mostly looking for a fun vehicle, but capable is next most important. MPG, Comfort, Ride, are lower on the list. We are not likely to make any long road trips in it. Everyone in reviews seems to agree that Gladiator wins hands down in the pure fun category. C&D said that with the other downsized pick up when walking away, you double click the remote to make certain it is locked, but with a Gladiator, you run back to hug it. I found that amusing.

I want to at least consider the diesel, because we plan to live in an RV before too long and it would be nice to be able to tap into the RVs 150 gallon tank in a pinch for Jeep fuel. I may even try to figure a way to put in a hose and a pump. The added torque might be useful at times but probably not often. I really like the durability and simplicity of a diesel as well.

Our long term plan is to flat tow it and then use it for trips through forests, dunes, and deserts from wherever we camp. We will likely outfit it with an overhead dual kayak rack that is readily removable and possibly a bicycle rack if the bicycles do not readily fit into the bed.

Whether to get an automatic or manual transmission will be a difficult choice. My wife doesn't like manual and has not driven one in decades. I do not understand the point in getting a jeep with an automatic transmission. Plus there is the durability factor.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Feed back on our recent trip.
Actually put @3300 miles on the gladiator the first couple weeks in Dec. We found the ride to be pretty good. Road noise was acceptable to us. The heated seats are great. Seemed to be enough room for my 6ft 250lb bulk. The control ergonomics are fine except the turn signal switch feels like it going to break when you use it. Cruise control, radio control, HVAC all good and easy to use. Car talk worked well with my I-phone. Window control in the center of council took some getting used to as did the engine cutout switch. (have to manual switch off every time) While it was unplanned I ended up hauling my Dads golf cart down to Texas for him (long story) and the Jeep seemed to handle it fine. mileage dropped down to 12/13 mpg from the 16/17 with no load. We did drive it on the beach in Padre Island with no problems All in all happy with it so far!!!!
Thanks,

Funny I just posted a request for follow up at almost the same time you posted your follow up.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:14 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,991 times
Quick question: What are you looking to accomplish with the Gladiator? Perhaps we should start there. Generally I would be in favor of reliability, overall value or cost, and aftermarket support. In my case, I already have two electric cars for road-trips and daily errands, I've got a Duramax truck for hauling and easy trails, and an old VW TDI for when I want to fiddle with a clutch or if I need to drive 700 miles without stopping to refuel. If this next vehicle will strictly be light-use or for weekend fun then I'd assume fuel economy won't really matter much.

If off-roading or overlanding is your thing, I would rather look into a used Wrangler and spend the difference on outfitting it.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thanks,

Funny I just posted a request for follow up at almost the same time you posted your follow up.

Great minds thing alike!!!

It's a fun-mobile for us as much as anything. We have a F250 for hauling anything substantial and Kia Sorento for a grocery getter. The engine seems to be fine so far and service is almost everywhere. (Jeep service stations pop up on the map when using it) Our off road usage has been limited to dunes at Padre Island and some ditch riding last week with by grandson but did fine in both instances.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Quick question: What are you looking to accomplish with the Gladiator? Perhaps we should start there. Generally I would be in favor of reliability, overall value or cost, and aftermarket support. In my case, I already have two electric cars for road-trips and daily errands, I've got a Duramax truck for hauling and easy trails, and an old VW TDI for when I want to fiddle with a clutch or if I need to drive 700 miles without stopping to refuel. If this next vehicle will strictly be light-use or for weekend fun then I'd assume fuel economy won't really matter much.

If off-roading or overlanding is your thing, I would rather look into a used Wrangler and spend the difference on outfitting it.
What we want to accomplish with the Gladiator is mostly fun.

Forest trails, dunes, beaches, deserts, maybe the California Jeep trail, some touring and reasonable short trips between cities. We intend to tow it behind an RV. We do not want to get out into the forest and break down.

Prior to towing behind an RV, we will use it for a few years for commuting, shopping trips, and occasional tent camping trips that might involve a 4-10 hour drive to get there. We really do not care much about MPG. We may use it to tow a small boat. We will probably put a rack over the top for two kayaks and either two bikes in the bed or a bike rack.

Our roads are terrible. Pothole city. Lots and lots of rough railroad track crossings. Some of the roads get 6" - 18" or so of water or snow at times. Later, we will went to be able to cross streams. We will drive it sans doors, and top as frequently as possible. I may look into getting all plastic interior if it is practical to configure it so we can just spray out the inside when it gets dirty. I realize that may be impractical with all the electronic crap they put in them now.

In addition to bicycles, we will occasionally use the bed for home depot trips, furniture, sometimes dirt or rocks, trees plants, pets, grandchildren (if any appear), firewood, possibly drums of fuel or water, tools, maybe a small generator at times, boating equipment, trash, lumber, yard equipment (lawn mower, roto tiller, snow blower, power washer, etc). That is about what I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram