Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 13,157 times

Advertisements

Also a big thanks to all who chimed in with important details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM

52 posts, read 92,423 times
Lisboa- Good question. I lived in various part of Fairfield county for almost 20 years. Before then, I lived 90 miles north of NYC. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a comparable town in CT because from my experience there are different parts with different feels. Lower Mason/Deerfield township is made up of newer looking retail/restaurant areas with Borders, Whole Foods, Dick's Sporting Goods, and a bunch of chain restaurants that I had never heard of before. The look on the outside is nicer and newer than most of what you would see in CT. The "older" Main St section of Mason has a lot of potential. I would say its a mix of old and new. One exciting thing that I need to start taking advantage of when it cools down is that most of the community is connected by sidewalks. People run, walk, ride bikes all over town or to nearby towns. Since I have only been here a month, I have a lot more exploring to do. First I need to finish unpacking... I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue60 View Post
I just moved to Mason a month ago from CT so I need to chime in here. Maybe I have been lucky, but I haven't seen a lot of congestion compared to what we had in the Northeast. Last Friday we did try to drive from Mason to Montgomery for dinner and we hit congestion on 71, but it was still slowly moving. The Fields Ertel area which is just south of Mason can get congested with cars going to places like Costco, Target, etc, but it reminds me of the Post Rd in Milford, CT.
That's right. A lot of people think of Mason as the intersection of Fields Ertel and Mason Montgomery Road. Its not. They need to go to downtown Mason and get a cup of coffee at Buskens and walk around and see how a prosperous small town operates.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,209,856 times
I never said Cincinnati wasn't safe. I just said compared to Mason and Loveland, it's not as safe. You hear of a LOT more crimes being commited in Cincinnati than you do in Warren County. One of you posted statistics comparing Mason and Loveland to Cincinnati, and indicated if those two cities had the same population as Cincinnati, they'd have much higher crime rates. So let's look at this: If you want to inflate the numbers, then why would anyone want to live in Cincinnati at all, compared to New York or Los Angeles? Even compared to the rest of the country, for that matter, because Cincinnati's crime rate is much higher than the U.S. average. People in Cincinnati should be scared out of their minds when you inflate Cincinnati's population to match that of NY or LA. But how many of you would admit to that being true? None of you would, even though it's a fact. (Yes, I actually do check numbers.) Compared to New York, Cincinnati's crime rate would be 24 times higher. Yeah, that's right. It's astonishing. Compared to LA, Cincinnati's crime rate would be almost 12 times higher.

It astonishes me that people in the city feel the incessant need to rip apart the suburbs, especially when the OP specifically asked about Warren County - not Cincinnati. Granted, Loveland is actually in Hamilton county, which no one noted. But why is it whenever someone comes here seeking info about the suburbs and indicates that's where they want to live, you guys in the city are dogged determined to get them to move to Cincinnati instead, or at least closer to the city? I don't get that. You bring up all sorts of reasons why Cincinnati would be the better choice, but you don't consider that maybe that isn't what the OP wants. Why can't you accept that some people may want to move to the area, and indeed may want to enjoy the city's cultural offerings and other things, but still prefer living in the outer suburbs? Instead of trying to get them to change their mind when they've already expressed what they are looking for, how about helping them out with info for the area they ARE expressing an interest in? Why can't you do that? If people want to move to Oakley or Norwood or Clifton or Westwood, I give them information about those places and don't try to talk them into living in Mason or West Chester or Florence instead.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I never said Cincinnati wasn't safe. I just said compared to Mason and Loveland, it's not as safe. You hear of a LOT more crimes being commited in Cincinnati than you do in Warren County. One of you posted statistics comparing Mason and Loveland to Cincinnati, and indicated if those two cities had the same population as Cincinnati, they'd have much higher crime rates. So let's look at this: If you want to inflate the numbers, then why would anyone want to live in Cincinnati at all, compared to New York or Los Angeles? Even compared to the rest of the country, for that matter, because Cincinnati's crime rate is much higher than the U.S. average. People in Cincinnati should be scared out of their minds when you inflate Cincinnati's population to match that of NY or LA. But how many of you would admit to that being true? None of you would, even though it's a fact. (Yes, I actually do check numbers.) Compared to New York, Cincinnati's crime rate would be 24 times higher. Yeah, that's right. It's astonishing. Compared to LA, Cincinnati's crime rate would be almost 12 times higher.

It astonishes me that people in the city feel the incessant need to rip apart the suburbs, especially when the OP specifically asked about Warren County - not Cincinnati. Granted, Loveland is actually in Hamilton county, which no one noted. But why is it whenever someone comes here seeking info about the suburbs and indicates that's where they want to live, you guys in the city are dogged determined to get them to move to Cincinnati instead, or at least closer to the city? I don't get that. You bring up all sorts of reasons why Cincinnati would be the better choice, but you don't consider that maybe that isn't what the OP wants. Why can't you accept that some people may want to move to the area, and indeed may want to enjoy the city's cultural offerings and other things, but still prefer living in the outer suburbs? Instead of trying to get them to change their mind when they've already expressed what they are looking for, how about helping them out with info for the area they ARE expressing an interest in? Why can't you do that? If people want to move to Oakley or Norwood or Clifton or Westwood, I give them information about those places and don't try to talk them into living in Mason or West Chester or Florence instead.
I think I responded that Cincinnati was probably safer by certain parameters. And, I'm a big fan of the little towns around like Mason. In fact, I think crime statistics are really a red herring when it comes to finding a nice place to live. Nice neighborhoods are just nice. You can show me all the statistics in the world, but if there are not friendly people out on the streets doing their daily tasks, good places to do those tasks and good recreation, etc. it is not going to work. Mason has those things. Parts of Cincinnati do too. And, parts of New York do too. You just have to find the right neighborhood and then try to find a house that fits and that one can afford.

PS: Just for the record, Loveland is part in Clermont County and part of it is in Hamilton County.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
It astonishes me that people in the city feel the incessant need to rip apart the suburbs, especially when the OP specifically asked about Warren County - not Cincinnati.
The OP specifically mentioned Cincinnati's "negative feedback on safety." I merely gave my opinion on that.

The OP also asked about towns in Warren County that have a population of 30,000 to 60,000. Well ... there are none (although Mason may get close with this next census count).

Quote:
Granted, Loveland is actually in Hamilton county, which no one noted.
Parts of the city proper are in Warren and Clermont counties as well.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Parts of the city proper are in Warren and Clermont counties as well.
Warren County! Who knew.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Warren County! Who knew.
Loveland can be called the tri-county city, Warren, Clermont and Hamilton. To the OP, you can do a lot worse than Loveland itself. It covers quite a bit of territory and a mix of environments. I would certainly consider locating either there or very close by.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This is a lot more complicated issue than it looks. If you normalize demographics, Cincinnati is pretty safe. As painful as it is to admit it, an African American male is 13-16 times more likely to commit a crime where the victim is injured. So, if you look at the crime rate in that part of Cincinnati that has the same demographics as Mason or Loveland, it might be safer.

And, most of the really serious crime in Cincinnati is drug related. Since we in Cincinnati have the choice not to frequent drug dealers or places of drug dealing, we can drop our personal crime rate a whole lot.
What does this has to do with anything?She didn't ask anything about race.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
What does this has to do with anything?She didn't ask anything about race.
You don't get the Internet, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati