Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times

Advertisements

Shyspider, you've got to chill out for a second and read through these post better ...

The comparison between Mason and Cincy thrown out there was common sense ... nothing more.

If I take 1,000 people and tell them to jump and one out of 5 jump and I take another group of 20 people and I say jump and one out of 5 jump ... which group had the most jumpers? The 1,000 group, correct?

So if I take a city of 25k people and say: "hey look everybody, look how much safer this city is compared to 330k people." I should look like a fool ... which on this site, I've found that no one here would put two and two together here. lol

So, you'd have to take Mason's crimes and inflate them to Cincy's population ... which is what I did. Nothing is being fudged here ... it is what it is. You can do this yourself as well ... it's pretty simple.

Btw, no one in their right mind should ever compare their city crime stats to NYC as the middle class cannot even survive there (and Wilson, we're on the same page with the social class/criminal element likelihood... I'd assume that most crimes are white collar and go unnoticed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
It astonishes me that people in the city feel the incessant need to rip apart the suburbs, especially when the OP specifically asked about Warren County - not Cincinnati. Granted, Loveland is actually in Hamilton county, which no one noted. But why is it whenever someone comes here seeking info about the suburbs and indicates that's where they want to live, you guys in the city are dogged determined to get them to move to Cincinnati instead, or at least closer to the city? I don't get that. You bring up all sorts of reasons why Cincinnati would be the better choice, but you don't consider that maybe that isn't what the OP wants. Why can't you accept that some people may want to move to the area, and indeed may want to enjoy the city's cultural offerings and other things, but still prefer living in the outer suburbs? Instead of trying to get them to change their mind when they've already expressed what they are looking for, how about helping them out with info for the area they ARE expressing an interest in? Why can't you do that? If people want to move to Oakley or Norwood or Clifton or Westwood, I give them information about those places and don't try to talk them into living in Mason or West Chester or Florence instead.
You're right shyspider. I think what happened is the original post said what could be reasonably interpreted as, "I want to live in the suburbs because I have heard the city is unsafe." City people get tired of everyone thinking the city is unsafe. But you are right, this was not the right venue for that. There is nothing wrong with the suburbs! If I were working in Loveland, I'd no doubt want to live 10-15 minutes from there.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I always have to go back to what my Statistics Professor at UC many moons ago told me - statistics lie and liers use statistics.

To take numbers related to crimes committed in a city of 30K and extrapolate them to a city of 330K by multiplying by 11 is rediculous. First of all, many of the crimes in the smaller city may have the same level, but actually be different. For example a robbery. A home break-in with possessions taken - does that equate with an armed holdup of a store? To me - NO! I will agree the suburbs are appearing as easy pickings to many and burglaries, etc. are increasing.

But look at the total numbers and what sticks out - domestic violence. This seems to be consistent across the board. Appears there are just as many mal-contents, mis-contents, or just plain pissed off people in the suburbs as the city.

Ask any policeman what they hate and it will be a domestic violence call, totally unpredictable.

So, while we are solving the rest of society's ills, what is the answer to domestic violence?

Does this have anything at all to do with moving to Warren Co.? Of course not, but it follows many of the off-base posts I have seen recently in the threads of this forum. People ask simple questions - give them simple answers and suspend the pontification.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
To take numbers related to crimes committed in a city of 30K and extrapolate them to a city of 330K by multiplying by 11 is rediculous. First of all, many of the crimes in the smaller city may have the same level, but actually be different. For example a robbery. A home break-in with possessions taken - does that equate with an armed holdup of a store? To me - NO! I will agree the suburbs are appearing as easy pickings to many and burglaries, etc. are increasing.
Well, isn't the same problem of extrapolation in the City numbers? I mean, there are no crimes in Mt. lookout to speak of. And, nothing much in Hyde Park. But when you look at the City's statistics it looks like Mt. Lookout has X number of robberies per capita.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, isn't the same problem of extrapolation in the City numbers? I mean, there are no crimes in Mt. lookout to speak of. And, nothing much in Hyde Park. But when you look at the City's statistics it looks like Mt. Lookout has X number of robberies per capita.
Yes, the numbers definitely have to be published by region or area of the city. In this day and age an interactive map of the entire city and breakdown should be readily available. For those who want to tout the neighborhoods, maybe this is the manner in which the crime statistics are published - by neighborhood. Give us an online view.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM

KJ, you know I am a fan of Warren county in general and Mason in particular, but I'd be pretty surprised if the crime rate in Mason wasn't higher than Mt. Lookout. I doubt though that we have the data.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post

PS: Just for the record, Loveland is part in Clermont County and part of it is in Hamilton County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Parts of the city proper are in Warren and Clermont counties as well.
Yeah, yeah, I stand corrected ....well, sorta. I just meant it's predominantly down in Hamilton County.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Shyspider, you've got to chill out for a second and read through these post better ...

The comparison between Mason and Cincy thrown out there was common sense ... nothing more.

If I take 1,000 people and tell them to jump and one out of 5 jump and I take another group of 20 people and I say jump and one out of 5 jump ... which group had the most jumpers? The 1,000 group, correct?

So if I take a city of 25k people and say: "hey look everybody, look how much safer this city is compared to 330k people." I should look like a fool ... which on this site, I've found that no one here would put two and two together here. lol

So, you'd have to take Mason's crimes and inflate them to Cincy's population ... which is what I did. Nothing is being fudged here ... it is what it is. You can do this yourself as well ... it's pretty simple.

Btw, no one in their right mind should ever compare their city crime stats to NYC as the middle class cannot even survive there (and Wilson, we're on the same page with the social class/criminal element likelihood... I'd assume that most crimes are white collar and go unnoticed).
Wellllll.....everyone in Cincinnati flips out and gets all defensive when people start ripping into the city. So go easy on me for getting a bit testy when someone makes a dig at the suburbs. I'm really not a bad guy.

Well, actually I'm a horrible person, but that's a different subject for a different day.

The thing is, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare Mason to a Cincinnati neighborhood of similar population, area size, and socio-economic makeup, instead of inflating the smaller area and then comparing it to the larger?

As for the comparison to NY or LA, hey...it is what it is. If you want to inflate Mason's numbers and compare them to Cincinnati, then let's inflate Cincinnati's numbers and compare them to NY. Personally, I don't think anyone would like what they saw.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:16 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
guys we need better membership of this forum. and we aren't going to get it by driving off TOs

Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
guys we need better membership of this forum. and we aren't going to get it by driving off TOs
We need less membership in this forum. A smaller club is a better club - by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati