Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

26 posts, read 42,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Can you feel the Cincinnati love? Gives a person goosebumps.
Oh I'm feeling it alright.

Also, add this to the rant: Is Cincinnati the only city in the US that doesn't have a McDonald's or Burger King or KFC (etc) downtown? All I've seen is the Chick-Fil-A in that nasty "mall".

How is this possible?
The city where I study at home has a population of less than 400,000 and it has 3 McDonald's in the CBD!

And are there any bookstores?
I don't understand the lack of stores. Do people only shop at Wal-Mart?

Oh and enjoy your weekend.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Cincinnati rules, if you don't like it, move the hell out.

That's my 2 cents, and some smart advice.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce05 View Post
Oh I'm feeling it alright.

Also, add this to the rant: Is Cincinnati the only city in the US that doesn't have a McDonald's or Burger King or KFC (etc) downtown? All I've seen is the Chick-Fil-A in that nasty "mall".
I'd call the presence of local, non chain eateries a plus, especially since you hate traditional American cities.
Quote:
How is this possible?
Eat at Arthur's and you'll know why Mickey Ds doesn't do well in many places in Cinci ;D
Quote:
The city where I study at home has a population of less than 400,000 and it has 3 McDonald's in the CBD!
I'm sorry. Must be a bunch of fatties, eh?
Quote:
And are there any bookstores?
I don't understand the lack of stores. Do people only shop at Wal-Mart?
I actually had trouble finding a Wal Mart in Cinci... But if I'm not mistaken, there are loads of bookstores in Cinci:
Joseph Beth
Barnes and Noble
Borders
Duttenhofers
Quote:
Oh and enjoy your weekend.
Will do! I'll be spending it in Cincinnati catching up with some fine people

Old 09-10-2010, 05:15 PM

^ Wouldn't say we're a bunch of fatties...

It's just that when you're downtown by yourself and want something quick to eat the absence is kinda strange.

Are any of those bookstores downtown, or are they out in the malls?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Likely out in the malls. Who goes shopping for books downtown? There may be some in Newport, near the Levee, or maybe IN that mall, which is just a short bus ride.

Also, there are loads of amazing places to eat downtown, open your eyes!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but the OP should check out Mt Adams, Eden Park, Union Terminal, Clifton, and Mainstrausse over in Covington for a start.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:28 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but the OP should check out Mt Adams, Eden Park, Union Terminal, Clifton, and Mainstrausse over in Covington for a start.
Tubby and i were right about the Bruce. Bruce, check out the Greyhound Bus terminal. If you don't meet someone, maybe you can get a ticket out of town.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Bruce, Cincinnati is really not much better and not much worse than a lot of older American cities built during the heyday of manufacturing. I'm not sure what brought you to UC, but if you want to live in a more "upscale" American urban environment, then you need to check out of here ASAP and go someplace like Portland (either Maine or Oregon), Seattle, San Francisco, Raleigh/Durham, or Austin. Even nearby Lexington, Kentucky will probably offer more of what you approve of.

Trust me on this, there are a substantial number of people who live lives of great privilege and comfort in the Cincinnati area. All you have to do to be happy here is figure out how you can do the same.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce05 View Post
I have been living in Cincinnati for three weeks now. I am here on a university exchange (until Christmas).

This city is quite a dump. More than once have I almost tripped over walking the cracked and overgrown sidewalks. Every other building is in need of demolition.
How can a city of this size have a downtown completely void of shops (aside from Macy's and that practically abandoned mall across the street)?

Sick of the homeless/begging people already, especially the two whose asses are glued to the pavement outside the supermarket I visit. I was accosted last weekend in Burnett Woods by a dodgy old man, and yesterday some jackass thought it would be funny to touch me near the Findlay Market (not sexually thank God)...

I wish I had a car so I could go out to the suburbs and do my shopping... I assume things are at least marginally better out there?
Sorry to hear that your having such a c@ppy time in the city, that's why I love living out here in the country. Can't stand Columbus or Cleveland either.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
if you want to live in a more "upscale" American urban environment, then you need to check out of here ASAP
Haha, I'm only here until Christmas. I can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Sorry to hear that your having such a c@ppy time in the city
I'm not actually having a crappy time.

My original post was just directed at my impressions so far of the city, as an outsider who has never been here before (and never anywhere in the Midwest before). Sorry to those who don't want to hear from anybody who has a justifiably less-than-amazing impression, but that's your problem.

Chur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati