Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM

329 posts, read 700,245 times

Advertisements

Took a trip down to the construction today for a short while and actually am starting to like the design...

The only reason why it is so out of place and feels way too modern for a rust belt city is because the developer is from Atlanta where nothing is built old styled and everything new is built to look state of the art. I think that's what the design was going for, but I definitely agree that simply slopping together some colors and past construction plans into a typical plan for a superblock was lackluster.

The plans on the images of the early ideas... I really wish they would have been considered more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yes, I remember when those conceptual drawings first appeared in The Enquirer. (They were front-page news--and they deserved to be.) Even though I recognized back then that those drawings were no more than renderings of what might be, I was still hoping to see them become reality. Today, the reality of The Banks is real, but sadly to say, it isn't the reality of that original presentation. Needless to say, our downtown didn't gain three new office towers (as depicted in the drawings), but one--and I can't say that the Great American Tower does much for me. It's a squat 665-ft. structure that could have been a magnificent 950-ft structure (and Ohio's tallest skyscraper). And that "tiara" gets old pretty quick when you realize that it's just a fake cap rather than a glass enclosed atrium.

The reality of The Banks (although not a total disaster) is...how should one say..."uninspiring." Generic and cheap residential and retail buildings jammed between two overbearing sports palaces, and centered by an embarrassing museum to political correctness. (Wow, I can't wait to see what Stage Two development brings us!) Those original drawings presented several charming streetscapes that blended traditional and contemporary architecture. Not quite Prague On The Ohio, but something where our city's past would be mysteriously still present. None of that magic down there on the riverfront today, folks--just unadulterated utilitarian purpose fulfilled. Yes, I'm well aware that places like Prague, Budapest, and Vienna just don't "happen," but instead evolve over centuries. But Cincinnati had a rare chance to blend its unique 19th/20th century architecture with that of the 21st century down there on The Ohio. Maybe what's there right now is okay--I don't really know... All I know is that I'm somehow disappointed.
I wouldn't close the book on more Third Street towers just yet. I believe that several parcels of land (Third and Main; Third and Vine) are envisioned to ultimately hold towers. And I'd bet a case of beer that the next Third Street tower will climb past QCS.

I agree though that a supertall (950 feet-plus) would be misplaced on Third Street, especially where Queen City is now. It would throw the entire skyline off kilter and totally dominate over GABP and The Banks. Any such supertall should be Fifth Street or north.

And while we're talking about towers: I wish the Fountain Square West original tower plan would regain momentum. After the three-story Macy's was opened, talk of a tower there sort of died down. I'm not sure many people even remember that Macy's was built as a pad for a tower and is capable of supporting a building taller than Carew. That would be nothing short of amazing at that location, should it ever happen. Unfortunately, there's zero buzz about it anymore.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I wouldn't close the book on more Third Street towers just yet. I believe that several parcels of land (Third and Main; Third and Vine) are envisioned to ultimately hold towers. And I'd bet a case of beer that the next Third Street tower will climb past QCS.

I agree though that a supertall (950 feet-plus) would be misplaced on Third Street, especially where Queen City is now. It would throw the entire skyline off kilter and totally dominate over GABP and The Banks. Any such supertall should be Fifth Street or north.

And while we're talking about towers: I wish the Fountain Square West original tower plan would regain momentum. After the three-story Macy's was opened, talk of a tower there sort of died down. I'm not sure many people even remember that Macy's was built as a pad for a tower and is capable of supporting a building taller than Carew. That would be nothing short of amazing at that location, should it ever happen. Unfortunately, there's zero buzz about it anymore.
That would be nice because you already have all the density right there around Fountain Square. Adding an 800 or 900 footer would look really good in that location. The skyline would already have good balance.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

Totally agree with both you and Traveler87! What better location for a majestic skyscraper than at 5th & Vine? I'm sure that just about everybody here has seen the magnificent building that was proposed for that site in the '80s--the Helmut Jahn Building--but if you haven't, just google "Fountain Square West" and take a good look at what could have been, would have been, should have been the centerpiece of our city. (And, if I'm not mistaken, the proposed height of that French-designed structure was 665 ft., the exact height of our Great American Tower...) Anyway, like you already mentioned, abr7rmj, there's been no buzz at all about anything at 5th & Vine (one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in the nation). Some talk about what to do at 5th & Race, but even what to do there has been relegated to the back burner. Meanwhile, we can all eagerly turn to Austin or Charlotte to see their skylines--and I just can't wait to admire that new Sears Tower in Columbus!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
I just can't see anything above 900 feet looking good until we have two or three towers between 750 and 850 feet to balance it out. Otherwise, I think that our skyline would be way out of proportion, and would end up looking like Cleveland and Oklahoma City. So instead of dreaming for one huge tower, I'm dreaming for four!!!

And I would love to see Fountain Square West built. With all of the momentum around Fountain Square and downtown in general, maybe something will be proposed for that area.

Also, if Sears does decide decide to move to Columbus, I doub't they would build a tower. They would probably end up in the burbs.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I just can't see anything above 900 feet looking good until we have two or three towers between 750 and 850 feet to balance it out. Otherwise, I think that our skyline would be way out of proportion, and would end up looking like Cleveland and Oklahoma City. So instead of dreaming for one huge tower, I'm dreaming for four!!!

And I would love to see Fountain Square West built. With all of the momentum around Fountain Square and downtown in general, maybe something will be proposed for that area.

Also, if Sears does decide decide to move to Columbus, I doub't they would build a tower. They would probably end up in the burbs.

Just my opinion.
I don't think it would at all. And OKC's Devon Tower is a great looking building; the base is something all new towers should follow. And Cleveland's skyline looks fine, especially from the east, lake, or west. Coming up I-77 it is spaced out. I'd take Key Tower and Terminal Tower over about 95% of major cities' tallest buildings any day.

Cincinnati can easily take their great looking skyline and add a 900 footer to it. It has the density already there.

And yes, I can see Dublin being the perfect fit for a sprawly new headquarters.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I don't think it would at all. And OKC's Devon Tower is a great looking building; the base is something all new towers should follow. And Cleveland's skyline looks fine, especially from the east, lake, or west. Coming up I-77 it is spaced out. I'd take Key Tower and Terminal Tower over about 95% of major cities' tallest buildings any day.

Cincinnati can easily take their great looking skyline and add a 900 footer to it. It has the density already there.

And yes, I can see Dublin being the perfect fit for a sprawly new headquarters.
Devon Tower is an amazing building. I would love to see Cincy get something like that one day, but not if it's going to be lonely. Like I said, it's just my opinion.

I think the most important thing is that whatever tower we get next, it needs to be an architectural masterpiece. I do like QCS, especially when viewed from the Bellevue area, but I think they could have picked a better design, especially since they were trying to build something iconic. Has anyone else seen the Hudson Yard towers that are planned for New York? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...187315&page=30. I think something similar would look incredible in Cincy's skyline. I think the surface lots around 7th and Sycamore would be a good spot. I told you, I like to dream big!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Devon Tower is an amazing building. I would love to see Cincy get something like that one day, but not if it's going to be lonely. Like I said, it's just my opinion.

I think the most important thing is that whatever tower we get next, it needs to be an architectural masterpiece. I do like QCS, especially when viewed from the Bellevue area, but I think they could have picked a better design, especially since they were trying to build something iconic. Has anyone else seen the Hudson Yard towers that are planned for New York? NEW YORK | Hudson Railyard Development: Phase 1 | 1,278 FT - 996 FT | 64 - 52 FLOORS - Page 30 - SkyscraperPage Forum. I think something similar would look incredible in Cincy's skyline. I think the surface lots around 7th and Sycamore would be a good spot. I told you, I like to dream big!
Those Seventh and Sycamore surface lots have long been envisioned as part of the St. Xavier Park residential development that's also been pushed to the back burner. It's already a residential area with the Renaissance, Sycamore Place, etc. I believe that the plan was at one time to build a pair of residential buildings/towers (20 floors maybe) on either side of Seventh.

There is some dated discussion on St. Xavier park on the Urbanohio forum going all the way back to 2004, with some really cool renderings of a building at Seventh and Broadway. Unfortunately there's been really nothing to talk about for awhile.

Cincinnati: Downtown - Broadway Tower at St. Xavier Park

If we're talking about blocks that could potentially host a supertall (besides Fountain Square West), I think you'd have to look at some of the large surface lots along Court Street, notably at the Walnut and Elm intersections. That would be far enough north to give the skyline some awesome balance and it would also give the Kroger building some company. Or the lot immediately north of City Hall would be an interesting option. I'd love to see an anchor building go in that part of downtown.

Another spot that might eventually get consideration is the Fourth Street block that is currently wasted on that monstrosity of a parking garage next to Tower Place Mall at Fourth and Race. They could implode that thing and build the Empire State Building in its footprint. Or the Tower Place Mall space itself, since indoor suburban-style malls clearly don't work in downtown environments and that building is currently woefully underused.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Queen City Square itself is fine, its the stupid tiara I still can't stand.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Queen City Square itself is fine, its the stupid tiara I still can't stand.
It doesn't stand out for anything other than its height, and isn't particularly stunning at night, as promised. With such a bold signature atop that building, it could at least be interesting to look at. It's not.

Give it some cool lights or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati