Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times

Advertisements

And now an Orange Leaf is coming to The Banks.

Bengals' Rucker bringing Orange Leaf yogurt to The Banks | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM

477 posts, read 664,551 times
Quote:
The lack of guidance from the City on this is breathtaking. I have seen my own street, Sycamore Street, opened for a gas line upgrade more than 10 blocks long as a part of a system upgrade, closed up, only to be re-opened a couple of years later by MSD for a sewer line. And, the electric lines aare all still up in the air in a big mess. The City could require that all utilities be placed underground as a condition to opening up blocks long trenches in the street. Its just they they don't care because they are too stupid to realize that an OTR without spaghetti in the air will be a far more attractive and safe neighborhood. Morons!
Then why does much of San Francisco, a fully gentrified, expensive and generally safe city look like this:

http://timf.anansi-web.com/serendipi...g/mason_st.jpg

Its nice to bury wires, but IMO its a luxury.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:25 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The lack of guidance from the City on this is breathtaking. I have seen my own street, Sycamore Street, opened for a gas line upgrade more than 10 blocks long as a part of a system upgrade, closed up, only to be re-opened a couple of years later by MSD for a sewer line. And, the electric lines aare all still up in the air in a big mess. The City could require that all utilities be placed underground as a condition to opening up blocks long trenches in the street. Its just they they don't care because they are too stupid to realize that an OTR without spaghetti in the air will be a far more attractive and safe neighborhood. Morons!
OK, now let me see if I understand correctly. We want the government to require utilities to be buried anytime a large stretch of street is opened up for work. So when the Cincinnati waterworks decides to replace that stretch of 100 year old water main, Cincinnati Bell is going to be required to bury their phone lines, Time-Warner is going to be required to bury their cables and fiber, Duke is going to be required to bury their power lines, etc. Who do you propose be required to pay the cost of this additional work? What if TWC has a section of cable that is perfectly fine in an area that is requiring sewer work, but they have a section of cable on the other side of town that needs replaced badly, which one takes priority? Your idea sounds great, but who works out the logistics?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Add Nashville-based Tin Roof to the list of venues coming to The Banks.

Nashville music venue joins the Banks | Developing Now

Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Add Nashville-based Tin Roof to the list of venues coming to The Banks.

Nashville music venue joins the Banks | Developing Now
Seems like space is going quickly.

Was down by the riverfront not too long ago, the Lager House looks great! This is going to be a nice neighborhood once everything is finished. It is already gaining national attention. I read not too long ago St. Louis was looking at The Banks and Smale Riverfront park to re-do their riverfront.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

55 posts, read 89,545 times
Can anyone tell me what this huge circle is going to be in phase 3 (Banks)? Thanks....

Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm guessing that circle has something to do with one of the fountain/water features planned for the park. I'm happy to see they're finally starting work south of Mehring Way.

Don't know if you've been following the regular Youtube updates that the construction team puts out on Banks/park progress, but here's the most recent one from two weeks ago. They get very indepth into what they're doing and what they're currently working on.

Building a Bright New Future for Our Region

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM

865 posts, read 1,472,542 times
I believe that circle is what they call the Labyrinth. It will be a sort of maze/play area for kids.

In other Banks related news, Cincinnati has submitted an application for $56 million in federal funds, which will be used to build the streetcar route as originally planned. All the way from the Banks to UC!!!

Cincinnati submits $56.8M TIGER III application to fund modern streetcar extension — UrbanCincy

Old 11-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I believe that circle is what they call the Labyrinth. It will be a sort of maze/play area for kids.

In other Banks related news, Cincinnati has submitted an application for $56 million in federal funds, which will be used to build the streetcar route as originally planned. All the way from the Banks to UC!!!

Cincinnati submits $56.8M TIGER III application to fund modern streetcar extension — UrbanCincy
This would be unbelievably great news, to see the streetcar built as originally planned from The Banks to UC. And it would ensure its immediate success. Let's hope LaHood, who is pro-rail and pro-streetcar and was instrumental in Phoenix's streetcar funds getting approved, will approve this.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
One thing I don't understand.

The City of Cincinnati was unsuccessful with two previous TIGER applications in 2009 and 2010. TIGER III grant winners are expected to be announced by the end of 2011.

Why are the expectations for TIGER III any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati