Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 10:11 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I have no idea why they chose the shades of brick that they did at The Banks. Cincinnati is a dark brick kind of town, and that's obvious to anyone who is in downtown or OTR for more than 30 seconds. I have no idea how those lighter shades made it off the drawing board.
Yeah, like I said, I hope the second phase exceeds expectations to make up for what they did with the brick and materials they used in the first phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM

329 posts, read 700,245 times
Wonder what Newport will do to make a comeback with new developments when our side of the river is done... as I like to say... attacking Newport.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Wonder what Newport will do to make a comeback with new developments when our side of the river is done... as I like to say... attacking Newport.
Both sides of the river can complement each other. There's no doubt Newport thrives in the summer when the Reds are playing. And Cincinnati gets plenty of aquarium visitors in its restaurants and bars.

Both sides will be successful if they complement rather than compete with each other.

But Newport losing the Southgate House really takes its coolness factor down a notch. What a horrible turn of events there.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM

465 posts, read 474,111 times
Developing the land where they knocked down the public housing west of the levee and east of the Licking River seems the most unique and appealing land in the entire metro even if they can't get the financing for high-rises. A combination of 5 to 7 story buildings as those along the river in bellevue with some riverfront restaurants accessible from the levee path and spaces for local shops on the side facing the east toward the aquarium, like drycleaners, pharmacy, sandwich shops, etc. would have an unique view and walkability few other places could match. Even high-end rental could make such a project very profitable, if they can get the land for a price that allows them to maximize the long term value and tax income from it instead of just getting as much as as they can at the moment without any thought for the future of the riverfront or Newport. Maybe the people who've worked on the Banks can work their magic across the river when its done.

Last edited by Matthew Hall; 12-05-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
I have no idea why they chose the shades of brick that they did at The Banks. Cincinnati is a dark brick kind of town, and that's obvious to anyone who is in downtown or OTR for more than 30 seconds. I have no idea how those lighter shades made it off the drawing board.
Do you think they may have chosen it to be distinctive and indicate we are the new kids in town? How can anyone equate light color with inferior? To me dark brick can cover up a whole lot of shortcomings, including porosity (passes water through), non-uniformity, etc. So they are light color in a dark color town, maybe they planned it that way on purpose.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Do you think they may have chosen it to be distinctive and indicate we are the new kids in town? How can anyone equate light color with inferior? To me dark brick can cover up a whole lot of shortcomings, including porosity (passes water through), non-uniformity, etc. So they are light color in a dark color town, maybe they planned it that way on purpose.
The light brick trend on the riverfront goes all the way back to GABP, which is comprised entirely of light brick and exposed steel. I'm sure The Banks designers wanted to complement that. But is just looks off kilter - like a college dorm.

Remember this conceptual drawing of The Banks:

Redirect Notice

That being said, I was down there today and noticed the Moerlein Lager Haus almost looks like it's ready to go. It's a gorgeous building and really complements the ballpark and riverfront well.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
The light brick trend on the riverfront goes all the way back to GABP, which is comprised entirely of light brick and exposed steel. I'm sure The Banks designers wanted to complement that. But is just looks off kilter - like a college dorm.

Remember this conceptual drawing of The Banks:

Redirect Notice

That being said, I was down there today and noticed the Moerlein Lager Haus almost looks like it's ready to go. It's a gorgeous building and really complements the ballpark and riverfront well.
Yes, I remember when those conceptual drawings first appeared in The Enquirer. (They were front-page news--and they deserved to be.) Even though I recognized back then that those drawings were no more than renderings of what might be, I was still hoping to see them become reality. Today, the reality of The Banks is real, but sadly to say, it isn't the reality of that original presentation. Needless to say, our downtown didn't gain three new office towers (as depicted in the drawings), but one--and I can't say that the Great American Tower does much for me. It's a squat 665-ft. structure that could have been a magnificent 950-ft structure (and Ohio's tallest skyscraper). And that "tiara" gets old pretty quick when you realize that it's just a fake cap rather than a glass enclosed atrium.

The reality of The Banks (although not a total disaster) is...how should one say..."uninspiring." Generic and cheap residential and retail buildings jammed between two overbearing sports palaces, and centered by an embarrassing museum to political correctness. (Wow, I can't wait to see what Stage Two development brings us!) Those original drawings presented several charming streetscapes that blended traditional and contemporary architecture. Not quite Prague On The Ohio, but something where our city's past would be mysteriously still present. None of that magic down there on the riverfront today, folks--just unadulterated utilitarian purpose fulfilled. Yes, I'm well aware that places like Prague, Budapest, and Vienna just don't "happen," but instead evolve over centuries. But Cincinnati had a rare chance to blend its unique 19th/20th century architecture with that of the 21st century down there on The Ohio. Maybe what's there right now is okay--I don't really know... All I know is that I'm somehow disappointed.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
It's a squat 665-ft. structure that could have been a magnificent 950-ft structure (and Ohio's tallest skyscraper)
I agree with most of your post motorman, but I'm glad we didn't get a 950-footer. I'd love to see one someday, but not without a supporting skyline. I would hate to see our skyline go the route of Cleveland and have one huge tower all by itself.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
I agree with most of your post motorman, but I'm glad we didn't get a 950-footer. I'd love to see one someday, but not without a supporting skyline. I would hate to see our skyline go the route of Cleveland and have one huge tower all by itself.
Yeah, CinciFan, a lone 950-ft. pinnacle poking up there on East 4th St. would certainly have proven to be an awkward addition to our downtown skyline--but it would have also been TWO WHOLE FEET taller than Cleveland's Key Tower! (bragging rights, you know...) The Great American Tower's the one that slipped right through our little fingers; just what kind of sleeping-pills were its architects on when they spread the building out rather than sending it skyward? (only Carl Lindner and John F. Barrett know for sure--but, for various reasons, neither one of them will ever tell us why)

Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I am getting more accustomed to the looks of the Great American Tower. The tiara on top gives it an interesting appearance, certainly not cookie-cutter. If it would have been glass enclosed to form an atrium a good deal of additional expense would have been involved, and to actually grow something air handling systems to provide heat in the winter and circulation year round to prevent moisture from dripping off the enclosure constantly, much as you encounter in a greenhouse. Because of its unique appearance it is a standout to the skyline and I believe with time will be regarded well. For those who complain how bland many things are in Cincinnati, to me it is a refreshing departure.

Frankly I find both Great American Tower and the Banks to be a lot more visually pleasant than the warehouse box structure called the Freedom Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati