Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

555 posts, read 877,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
As for McNick, number two son graduated there in 2000 and the closest thing there was to a minority was son's friend who's father is a Peruvian transplant surgeon. But guaranteed racism has nothing to do with that. They would love to have as many minorities as they can get. They were a little self conscious about it. I think most AA families who could send their children to McNick prefer Walnut Hills.
One would think McNick could give some scholarships to blacks, especially black athletes, but they obviously don't. I once talked to the Registrar at St. X. He actively recruited blacks, but he said they wanted to go to a high school with girls, like McNick.

If there are now so many blacks in Mt. Washington, some clearly of means, why are none going to McNick instead of commuting to Walnut Hills? McNick doesn't take a back seat academically to any school.

In the entire history of McNick there have been virtually no blacks, probably less than 10. Any you claim that is not because of racism. There are the same number of blacks at McNick today, zero, as there were when I graduated from there in the sixties. That's real progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
One would think McNick could give some scholarships to blacks, especially black athletes, but they obviously don't. I once talked to the Registrar at St. X. He actively recruited blacks, but he said they wanted to go to a high school with girls, like McNick.

If there are now so many blacks in Mt. Washington, some clearly of means, why are none going to McNick instead of commuting to Walnut Hills? McNick doesn't take a back seat academically to any school.

In the entire history of McNick there have been virtually no blacks, probably less than 10. Any you claim that is not because of racism. There are the same number of blacks at McNick today, zero, as there were when I graduated from there in the sixties. That's real progress.
Some people don't want to attend parochial school. Just sayin.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 42,588 times
^I was referring more to some of the merchandise for sale at Trader's World. Obama-hating t-shirts everywhere you looked; slogans that you wouldn't see used to refer to a white President, even if you disagreed with them.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce05 View Post
^I was referring more to some of the merchandise for sale at Trader's World. Obama-hating t-shirts everywhere you looked; slogans that you wouldn't see used to refer to a white President, even if you disagreed with them.

Where were you when Bush was President. They made a movie about his assassination. Hung him in effigy. Put bullseyes on his picture. Called him every disgraceful epithet one could imagine. BO hasn't seen a 100th of what was thrown at Bush. And, don't pigeon-hole me. I was not and am not a fan of Bush. You're just out in left field.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce05 View Post
Obviously, you don't remember the vitriol that was thrown at Nixon, Clinton, Reagan and GWB ....

Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM

555 posts, read 877,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Some people don't want to attend parochial school. Just sayin.
About 13% of the students in Catholic schools nationwide are non-Catholic.

Some of these non-Catholic students are there to get away from the blacks at their customary public schools, something many Catholic schools recognize and try to discourage.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb LOL...Wilsonnnnn...You Knew You'd Hear From Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The only place to find overt racism in Cincinnati in 2011 is among black persons. 15 minutes of listening to 1230 WBZ at noon when Lincoln Ware hosts a symposium on racial hatred will expose one to more racial hate speech than 10 years in a bowling alley or a hillwilliam bar.

Many say that persons of color are entitled to their hate filled invective. I disagree, but am not offended by it because I do not harbor the first scintilla of "white guilt." It is misguided and I pray for those who harbor grudges because of what happened to their great grandparents. Almost all persons have grievances in their ancestors' past and we would be in quite a fix if every Irishman harbored hatred for the Scots or the English.

The remnants of racial segregation referred to here, if true (which I doubt), wouldn't make a good bar fight they were between a Pole and a Czech or a Greek and a Turk. Move on, this grievance mentality is not a good thing.
You know I love ya, but I will also butt heads with you when I think you may be wrong-headed about something---like here

Being a 'person of color', I can tell you that I don't A) spout 'hate-filled invective', B) think that whites need to feel guilty about anything, C) have a 'grievance mentality', or D) think that Lincoln Ware and his show are some mystical, bottomless fountain of knowledge about the black community, here in Cincinnati or anywhere else

We're (blacks) not all a bunch of inveterate 'whitey-haters', nor are we a roving band of foul-mouthed, gun-toting, pea-brained thugs either...on the other side, I don't sit around calling whites 'rednecks' or 'racists' or 'closet KKK members'...I don't waste time moaning about stuff that happened years before I was even a gleam in my parents' eyes, because said parents instilled in me and my siblings from birth that we are all responsible for our OWN actions, both positive and negative, and it's frankly a waste of time to sit around b****ing about 'The Man'---in short, there ain't a thing 'The Man' can do to me, that I can't get off my black a** and UNDO in short order...

In closing, I respect you for the fact that, even when you may be intrinsically wrong about something, you share a common trait with me---you speak your mind, and generally stand behind what you say, right or wrong...

Also, please don't fall into the camp of those who use that old, tired brand of 'racial algebra'---as in 'one is, therefore they ALL are!'...because I can tell you from personal experience and life lessons, we most emphatically are NOT all cut from the same cloth, or share some 'community mindset'

Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
You know I love ya, but I will also butt heads with you when I think you may be wrong-headed about something---like here

Being a 'person of color', I can tell you that I don't A) spout 'hate-filled invective', B) think that whites need to feel guilty about anything, C) have a 'grievance mentality', or D) think that Lincoln Ware and his show are some mystical, bottomless fountain of knowledge about the black community, here in Cincinnati or anywhere else
Never in a million years would I have assumed that you did.

Quote:
We're (blacks) not all a bunch of inveterate 'whitey-haters', nor are we a roving band of foul-mouthed, gun-toting, pea-brained thugs either...on the other side, I don't sit around calling whites 'rednecks' or 'racists' or 'closet KKK members'...I don't waste time moaning about stuff that happened years before I was even a gleam in my parents' eyes, because said parents instilled in me and my siblings from birth that we are all responsible for our OWN actions, both positive and negative, and it's frankly a waste of time to sit around b****ing about 'The Man'---in short, there ain't a thing 'The Man' can do to me, that I can't get off my black a** and UNDO in short order...
And this is the word that will solve most problems facing the black community.

Quote:
In closing, I respect you for the fact that, even when you may be intrinsically wrong about something, you share a common trait with me---you speak your mind, and generally stand behind what you say, right or wrong...
Thanks, I try.

Quote:
Also, please don't fall into the camp of those who use that old, tired brand of 'racial algebra'---as in 'one is, therefore they ALL are!'...because I can tell you from personal experience and life lessons, we most emphatically are NOT all cut from the same cloth, or share some 'community mindset'
Like most stereotypes, they only apply to a very small but highly visible part of the group to which the stereotype is sought to be applied. As you know, I have a long history of rich and rewarding experiences with the black community. I was only referring to that very, very small but visible percentage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati