Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times

Advertisements

I am primarily starting this thread to find out if anyone knows who Natalie Portman was referring to when she sent greetings to a relative in Cincinnati at the Golden Globe awards last night (Jan. 16, 2011).

Certainly though, it would be interesting to learn of other famous individuals with Queen City ties.

I believe that Steven Spielberg was born here?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM

526 posts, read 1,481,955 times
^^^ Thanks for the info. I looked at Ms. Portman's biography and noted that she was born in Israel and lived in D.C. & New York. They didn't mention anything about Cincinnati.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Jim Koch, a celebrity of sorts, was Cincinnati-bred (a Walnut Hills grad.) He gained fame through starting a microbrewery in Boston and appearing in his own commercials. While in da Nati for Christmas I rolled down Central Parkway and saw that construction's moving right along for the conversion of the old Schoenling brewery to a new manufacturing facility for his Sam Adams beers. And yes, Mr Spielberg also once trod the hallways of Walnut Hills.

Who hasn't heard of at least one Clooney? Rosemary and Nick may have started their lives upriver in Maysville, but their ties to Cincy run deep. Couldn't say where George (Nick's son) grew up, but chances are it was on the west side someplace - along with the actress better known as Carmen Electra, as well as Nick Lachey.

My funk idol Bootsy Collins lived out his early and young-adult years in Avondale and Walnut Hills, then toured the world with the George Clinton/Parliament tours and on his own. More recently, of course, he and his wife settled in the sticks of Adams County while he lent his name to a failed Jeff Ruby venture downtown. Word's out that he will soon be releasing some new material, which I can't wait to hear. And lovers of R & B should be ashamed of themselves if they weren't aware that the immortal Isley Brothers were raised in Lincoln Hts.

And then there's Doris Schulkoffer (spelling probably way off) who gained fame and fortune as Doris Day.

Finally, on the political side of things there's that guy whose last name I've been assured is pronounced "Bayner" and not the way some folks might be inclined to say it. And looking back in history, the portliest president in US history to this day is immortalized in his hometown by William Howard Taft Road.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Certainly though, it would be interesting to learn of other famous individuals with Queen City ties.

I believe that Steven Spielberg was born here?
Yes, Spielberg lived in Cincy for 5-yrs. Ted Turner spent 9-yrs. here. And although Jerry Springer was born in London, most of his life was spent here. Doris Day, Rosemary Clooney, George Clooney, Tyrone Power, Andy Williams, Woody Harrelson, Sara Jessica Parker, Carmen Electra, Nick Lachey --all from here or nearby. Let's not forget Peter Frampton, who moved from England to be with his wife (Indian Hill) or Neil Armstrong, who now lives in Indian Hill (if I'm not mistaken). And don't overlook the infamous Charles Manson --yeah, from the 'Nati. Or Annie Oakley or Harriet Beecher Stowe. And last in my diatribe is, of all people, Donald Trump. The young "Donald" got his first big start ($$) with Swifton Village.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default celebrities

Nick Lachey and 98 Degrees
Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods
Pure Prairie League
Gary Griffin
Over the Rhine

Carmen Electra (went to Princeton High School)
Tom Cruise (went to St. Francis Seminary)
Marjorie Monahan (went to Northwest High School)
John Terlesky (I think he went to Wyoming High School)

Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default writers and artists

C.F. Payne
Sharon Draper
Mike Resnick
Rosanne Kohake

Rod Serling
Earl Hamner Jr.

Last edited by skippercollector; 01-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: thought of two more

Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
And then there's Doris Schulkoffer (spelling probably way off) who gained fame and fortune as Doris Day.
Doris "von Kappelhoff" Day is from Evanston.

My favorite Cincinnati celeb is Leonard Slye, better known as the singing cowboy superstar, Roy Rogers. He was born in an area called The Bottoms, one of the poorest neighborhoods in Cincinnati. The Bottoms was eventually cleared to make way for Riverfront Stadium.

Last edited by t45209; 01-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Changed tense because Doris Day is still alive!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
I believe Portman's parents met on the campus of Ohio State, so I suspect it's possible that one of them may be from the Cincinnati area.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
And don't overlook the infamous Charles Manson --yeah, from the 'Nati. .
Manson, as I understand it, lived on Oregon Street in Mt. Adams, although the house he lived in was torn down. He was a regular at City View Tavern, and was a big fan of tequila, which is why to this day City View does not serve tequila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati