Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times

Advertisements

"Wyoming is in the middle of the inner city?"

I think your consultant needs to be fired, because that statement is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Kentucky historically grew a lot of tobacco as a significant cash crop, but the market is shrinking and many are looking for an alternate. Currently 25.6% of the adult population smokes, compared to 20.3% in Ohio and 14.9% in Massachusetts. Ohio passed a statewide ban on smoking in public places, workplaces, etc. Kentucky has lagged a bit as related to statewide laws, but many of the urban areas like Lexington, Louisville, Elizabethtown, and NKY have passed local smoking bans.

Part of the difference is plain cost due to local taxes. A pack of cigarettes costs $7.04 in Massachusetts, $5.30 in Ohio, and $4.65 in Kentucky. Other high smoking states are West Virginia 25.5% and $4.49, Missouri 23.1% and $3.97, Oklahoma 25.4% and $4.86. On the other end New York is great at 17.9% and $8.97, and complaining about where the tax revenue went. It's a great example of how to tax yourself out of existence.

My wife and I were smokers most of our adult lives. A few years ago we began purchasing cigarettes over the internet from the indians in New York at 1/2 the cost locally. This past year, congress passed a law aimed directly at the indians. It first of all specifically prevented the USPS from delivering cigarettes. It second required the shipper to affix the tax revenue stamps required by the state to which the product was shipped, and set up an agency to audit the result. Overnight it put the indians out of business. They have filed an appeal, but it has about as much chance as the proverbial snowball-in-Hell of succeeding.

I told the wife, the cost has more than doubled, we quit! She wanted to go get a patch from the doctor etc. I said NO we just quit Cold Turkey! That was the beginning of June, 2010, or about 8 months ago. We obviously knew it should have been done years before, but weakness prevails, that is until they hit me in the pocketbook severely.

The 5% difference between Ky and Ohio to me is not significant. The whole demographic is changing very rapidly. As I read about the increased pressure for smoking bans throughout Ky, I know the times are a changing.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
"Wyoming is in the middle of the inner city?"

I think your consultant needs to be fired, because that statement is crazy.
I will concur with this. Anytime Wyoming is placed on an undesirable place to live, something is wrong. The most likely reason is your consultant cannot come up with enough properties for sale to present you. People in Wyoming usually only move when forced to by an external influence.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I will concur with this. Anytime Wyoming is placed on an undesirable place to live, something is wrong. The most likely reason is your consultant cannot come up with enough properties for sale to present you. People in Wyoming usually only move when forced to by an external influence.
Which makes the statement even more bizarre, because at the $700K target price and with kids needing good schools, Wyoming should be a prime target. The commute to Covington wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be that bad, either.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I told the wife, the cost has more than doubled, we quit! She wanted to go get a patch from the doctor etc. I said NO we just quit Cold Turkey! That was the beginning of June, 2010, or about 8 months ago. We obviously knew it should have been done years before, but weakness prevails, that is until they hit me in the pocketbook severely
A note of congratulations is in order. The way you quit was also the only thing that worked for me, about 15 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and the benefits were worth every bit of the suffering involved. For a while, I kept putting the money I would have spent on cigarettes into a special little "fund" and periodically I bought myself a nice present. I'm trying to wrap my mind around how that money would mount up now, maybe I should start putting it aside again.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM

120 posts, read 259,144 times
Smoking is banned in restaurants and business in Ohio. Not so much in Kentucky, yet, but I have heard of laws being introduced.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM

120 posts, read 259,144 times
Here is a nice listing in Wyoming for a 4 bed, 3.5 bath, 3 car garage home:
324 Beech Ave

I would love to move Wyoming. It's a great area. Your consultant is off base.

If you head east of Wyoming, over Wayne Ave, you will enter the Lockland and Lincoln Heights areas (also their own villages/cities). This is where your consultant is warning you of the "bad parts of town". They are definately more economically depressed than Wyoming. Heading west, you will be fine, running into Springfield Township.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM

66 posts, read 189,400 times
I think you should check out Montgomery, Blue Ash, and Symmes Township in northeastern Hamilton Co. Sounds to me like these areas are exactly what you are looking for. Commute to Covington on average would be 20-25 minutes. There are a lot of neighborhoods in your price range in these areas and it is in a truly suburban environment, with many newer home. Definitely more suburban( or newer, anyway) than some of the other areas mentioned and the schools are top notch. Also, to follow up on previous posts, saying Wyoming is in the middle of the inner city is absolutely crazy and not true at all. The schools often rank very high in the state and even nationally and the city is also known to be very safe. The community of Wyoming is very affluent. Is the consultant actually familiar with that part of town? Sounds to me he/she is judging the community off the part of 75 that goes through this area. Lockland and Lincoln Heights are two very old village(think 19th century) that border Interstate 75 which some may consider inner city, maybe? , even though the communities really aren't. Maybe from the highway it looks like it is not the best community, but a mile down the road on Wyoming Ave brings you into beautiful, charming Wyoming.

Last edited by cincyohguy; 02-04-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Symmes township in northeastern Hamilton Co. is served by 3 different school districts. Indian Hill Exempted serves the southern portion Remington and Camp Dennison areas. Loveland City Schools serves the northeastern portion. Sycamore Community Schools serves the western portion. I would venture to say the western portion will be the most attractive to you as it bridges between the Cities of Blue Ash and Montgomery. Although Blue Ash and Montgomery are both separate incorporated cities, they do not have their own dedicated school district. Sycamore Community Schools serves the entire region, so yes the high school is large though consistently ranked among the best in the state.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 11,321 times
Okay from what I just read, it sounds like Wyoming is very nice but it doesn't sound like our consultant was way off about a few wrong turns (seems East) and your in Inner City, maybe?

I will look on line at the real estate in this town. I feel like my list of towns is getting bigger instead of smaller.

Congrats to anyone who quit smoking, you are a healthier person for it!! I had to ask to see if what I heard was true (sorry). That KY hasn't banned smoking in restaurants yet is too bad., it really is not pleasant.

So on the KY side,Ft Thomas and Union seem to be on the list. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati