Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 PM

40 posts, read 133,117 times

Advertisements

You may want to consider the Miami Heights area on the Ohio side. There are lots of new developments in that area and the prices are pretty low. It has a similar feel to what you are describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
[quote=ruby32;17729516]Okay from what I just read, it sounds like Wyoming is very nice but it doesn't sound like our consultant was way off about a few wrong turns (seems East) and your in Inner City, maybe?/quote]

No.

As another poster said, any time a "consultant" warns someone off of Wyoming, something's seriously wrong. I know in this situation it's probably tempting to feel you can trust this individual's advice, but if I were you I'd be wondering why they're telling me to avoid what is pretty much universally considered one of the Cincinnati area's best and safest neighborhoods, with one of the entire state's best school systems.

It's probably time--actually way past time--for you to look at a map of the Cincinnati area if you haven't already. Wyoming is miles from the inner city, assuming you are using that term as most people do to mean downtown or the urban core. In fact, for your purposes its degree of removal from downtown may be a negative.

I hope I don't sound impatient, but I'm also not getting this thing about "a few wrong turns." That should raise a red flag for you, as well. Unless you chose a home in Wyoming in one of the few areas bordering one of the less affluent communities which adjoin it--and in your price range that wouldn't happen--Wyoming is as safe and as insulated from urban crime and problems as anywhere you'll find around here.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Correct Sarah. If you are worried about a few wrong turns placing you in a less desirable area, perhaps you do need to move to the country where you can get a couple of miles between you and the undesirables.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Let me clarify. Like several other townships in the area, Symmes Township has experienced annexation of its land by adjacent incorporated entities. So the remaining township is not geographically connected, but exists as separate pockets of land.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Correct Sarah. If you are worried about a few wrong turns placing you in a less desirable area, perhaps you do need to move to the country where you can get a couple of miles between you and the undesirables.
I was tempted to say exactly that, and it may be the best option for the OP, but I'm not sure places like those new subdivisions out in Union are completely free of property crime, either.

I was thinking about what a small-town feel Wyoming has as hubby and I were driving along Springfield Pike yesterday shortly after school must have let out, seeing the flocks of kids walking home. It's a place with a very real sense of community, community activities, churches, restaurants, everything I'd think you'd want in a place to raise a family. Assuming you can afford it

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Sarah... I don't think anywhere today is free of property crime. Out where I live in Mason, and from what I hear Westchester and Liberty townships are all experiencing an increase in property crime. My evaluation is it is easy pickings. Two doors from me is a cul-de-sac where a couple of months ago the local gendarmes apprehended two carloads of thugs at 3:00 AM in the morning with stolen goods. The owners were out of town on vacation. Kind of woke me up as to what is going on today. Those new subdivisions in Union may be a greater risk for property crime since they are easy pickings.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Sarah... I don't think anywhere today is free of property crime. Out where I live in Mason, and from what I hear Westchester and Liberty townships are all experiencing an increase in property crime. My evaluation is it is easy pickings. Two doors from me is a cul-de-sac where a couple of months ago the local gendarmes apprehended two carloads of thugs at 3:00 AM in the morning with stolen goods. The owners were out of town on vacation. Kind of woke me up as to what is going on today. Those new subdivisions in Union may be a greater risk for property crime since they are easy pickings.
I continue to believe the best defense against property crime is the reality or even just the perception that eyes are on the street. It's not the major thing I attribute the low incidence of crime in my neighborhood to, but I do think neighbors knowing neighbors and the presence of self-employed and retired folks in the neighborhood is probably a deterrent. Neighborhoods that completely empty out from 9 to 5 with all the adults at day jobs and kids in school must look like easy pickings, especially when residents are complacent.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
"Wyoming is in the middle of the inner city?"

I think your consultant needs to be fired, because that statement is crazy.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If any part of Wyoming is "ghetto," it's of the gilded variety.
As a native of that suburb I'm finding that remark hilarious in the extreme!!!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I hope I don't sound impatient, but I'm also not getting this thing about "a few wrong turns." That should raise a red flag for you, as well. Unless you chose a home in Wyoming in one of the few areas bordering one of the less affluent communities which adjoin it--and in your price range that wouldn't happen--Wyoming is as safe and as insulated from urban crime and problems as anywhere you'll find around here.
Still LMAO from "learning" that Wyoming is in the middle of the inner city...but some of the more sought-after enclaves with incredible older houses are pretty close to less "desirable" places. Calling these locales "inner city" is a stretch, but Lockland + Lincoln Hts + Cincinnati's Hartwell neighborhood are noticeably less well-off. Although Hartwell is a peaceful and secure area, and on the upswing at that, the same can't be said about a good bit of western Lockland (abutting the railroad tracks which separate it from the most rundown part of Wyoming.) Redevelopment attempts have gotten underway with some "urban removal" and a bit of improvement on existing properties. But it's still a shabby and depressed part of the world. And forget about Lincoln Hts, which was deliberately developed to be a racially segregated and lower-middle-class town in the early 20th Century. Despite all that, there aren't enough Victorians or more modest homes to meet the demand even if they're cheek-by-jowl with the RR tracks. For - as Ms Perry has well stated - Wyoming is close-knit. During their 55 years in the town, Mr & Mrs Goyguy Sr have called three unique and non-adjacent neighborhoods home. Other than a single occasion in the '70s when the handlebars of bikes parked in the garage were untaped by overnight pranksters (SERIOUS CRIME) nothing bad has befallen them. I smiled at the recounting of watching the groups of kids strolling home after school b/c in my and my sisters' time that was us. We never had to ride a school bus, and didn't get picked up or dropped off by a parent that much either. One thing that has changed for the worse is that people in positions of power got their brains addled and closed the municipal swimming pool behind the high school. The community rec center is now outside the city limits in Woodlawn. Reaching it on foot can be a death-defying feat thanks to a lack of sidewalks once the town line's crossed.

But...some of us may be trying too hard to steer the OP into Wyoming. I'll be the first to acknowledge that there are other communities which share its attributes. (Many Wyomingites wouldn't let on as such. ) The contradictory veering between "new McMansion with a big yard" and "village feel" leave me not knowing which way to steer. But those diametrically opposed criteria could well be met in Lebanon, where both factors are in play. "But that's too long of a commute!"

We tried, y'all, we tried.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:26 AM

My guess is that the OP is going to consider Wyoming's housing stock too old and outdated. And while I readily admit I'm no authority or expert on school systems in this area, I know that if I had school age kids, I'd cram them into a 700 square foot condo if I had to in order to have them in the Wyoming school system. This isn't to say I don't think there are other fine public systems, it's just the one I personally would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati