Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 11,320 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon, My family (husband, daughters 12, 8 and 4) are relocating from the Boston area to NKY or Cincinnati . My husband will be working in Covington, KY so it seems we have a lot of options, as far as his commute. After meeting with a few realtors, we have somewhat narrowed it down to Madeira, Mariemont and Terrace Park for the Ohio side and Union and Villa Hills for the NKY side. I was hoping to get some thoughts on which area would be a better fit for my family. We are looking for small towns w/safe, friendly neighborhoods, good schools. We are looking for homes in the $700K range but, really don't want a city feel or large schools. Appreciate any help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby32 View Post
Good Afternoon, My family (husband, daughters 12, 8 and 4) are relocating from the Boston area to NKY or Cincinnati . My husband will be working in Covington, KY so it seems we have a lot of options, as far as his commute. After meeting with a few realtors, we have somewhat narrowed it down to Madeira, Mariemont and Terrace Park for the Ohio side and Union and Villa Hills for the NKY side. I was hoping to get some thoughts on which area would be a better fit for my family. We are looking for small towns w/safe, friendly neighborhoods, good schools. We are looking for homes in the $700K range but, really don't want a city feel or large schools. Appreciate any help. Thank you.
You have some good sounding options, but also take a look at Ft. Mitchell, Ky.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Ft. Mitchell has good schools but you will have trouble spending 700K unless you buy two houses. Ft. Thomas is very charming, has good schools and some river view properties and both are convenient to Covington.

Most of the natives here would not voluntarily live on the opposite side of the river than where they work. Crossing the river every day assures that no commute will be enjoyable. Think about that.

Having said that, Mariemont, Terrace Park and Madiera (distant third) are all great places to live. But that will be a very unpleasant commute for the husband.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Ft. Mitchell has good schools but you will have trouble spending 700K unless you buy two houses. Ft. Thomas is very charming, has good schools and some river view properties and both are convenient to Covington.

Most of the natives here would not voluntarily live on the opposite side of the river than where they work. Crossing the river every day assures that no commute will be enjoyable. Think about that.

Having said that, Mariemont, Terrace Park and Madiera (distant third) are all great places to live. But that will be a very unpleasant commute for the husband.
It's true there's not much in Ft. Mitchell that costs that much, but here are a pretty nice looking couple of listings (there were two others priced higher):

118 West Maple Ave, Fort Mitchell, KY 41017 (MLS# 386504) - Coldwell Banker West Shell - CBWS.com

163 Seville Ct, Fort Mitchell, KY 41017-2763 (MLS# 390434) - Coldwell Banker West Shell - CBWS.com

I think that kind of money sure gets you more for the $$ than in Terrace Park AND the property taxes are lower. OP, I'm wondering if you are thinking Boston area real estate prices. If so you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
It's true there's not much in Ft. Mitchell that costs that much, but here are a pretty nice looking couple of listings (there were two others priced higher):

118 West Maple Ave, Fort Mitchell, KY 41017 (MLS# 386504) - Coldwell Banker West Shell - CBWS.com

163 Seville Ct, Fort Mitchell, KY 41017-2763 (MLS# 390434) - Coldwell Banker West Shell - CBWS.com

I think that kind of money sure gets you more for the $$ than in Terrace Park AND the property taxes are lower. OP, I'm wondering if you are thinking Boston area real estate prices. If so you may be pleasantly surprised.
Haha! You found a couple. Geez. Compare that second one with Terrace Park. That quite a place for under $600k.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Haha! You found a couple. Geez. Compare that second one with Terrace Park. That quite a place for under $600k.
I KNOW! I'm drooling here. Not really, used to have a house that was too big for a 50-something couple and three cats. No walk in the park, an equally "big" relief to get a place that was a better fit.

But yeah, that house looks like a beauty, and really I was thinking about how the smallish, highly rated Beechwood SD sounded right up the OP's alley.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Mariemont seems like the best option. It is a charming upper middle class area with a walkable center and a rich history. More interesting than terrace park in that respect. Commuting over 471 to Kentucky isn't too bad, way better than over 71/75. And compared to Boston, it is "nothing."

Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Mariemont seems like the best option. It is a charming upper middle class area with a walkable center and a rich history. More interesting than terrace park in that respect. Commuting over 471 to Kentucky isn't too bad, way better than over 71/75. And compared to Boston, it is "nothing."
Same problem, though (although what a problem to have). Even less in that price range in Mariemont than in Ft. Mitchell.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Mariemont is nearly perfect with great schools and a small town feel. But, the commute is not that great. You come in Columbia Parkway. But 471 goes to Newport, then you have to go through both Newport and Covington. Or, I-75. Its not horrible, but did you see that house Sarah found? You won't see anything like that in Mariemont.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
You have to be nuts not to locate in NKY. You can afford a fine home in several areas. To put up with the daily hassle of commuting across the river just does not make sense. The Beechwood school district sounds like the smaller environment you are looking for.

I love Madeira which is where I grew up, and also Mariemont, Terrace Park, etc. But if you will be working in Covington, stay in NKY, probably Ft. Mitchell. Life is too short to spend it sitting in traffic either being late to work or coming home.

And as far as those average commute times, this winter is kicking the crap out of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati