Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
I went this past Christmas to their Christmas program and loved it. It was one of the best programs I've seen. Most Sat's i'm at my son's football games and by the time I get home and changed i'm worn out and want to take a nap. But I am going to try and go to one service on Saturadays
Sit back in that nice theater seating, coffee in the drink holder, and get comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Let's start here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Crossroads is really two churches. As a "seeker" church, it is there to provide "Christian light" for those who do not know how committed they are. As an evangelical Protestant congregation, you can join the inner circle, go multiple days a week, tithe etc.

I think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. But then I am a spiritual but not a religious person. Only thing I'd like to see is a little edgier music. More 60's and less 80's.
Quote:
You are in the right place. Christian religious doctrine differentiated by sects, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. are illusive companions. What was important 400 years ago in nuances of church doctrine have long since evolved into meaningless differences. To stay relevant, some churches have gone off the deep end in eclectic ritual and who needs that.

Ask yourself: Are you a Christian? If so, Crossroads is as good as it gets what with avoiding all of the goofy stuff some of these churches do and if you want the "lite" version (I spelled it wrong above) you can have it without some deacons dragging you in to tell you that Hell is waiting for you unless you tithe and devote three days a week to the church.

A mystery is why Crossroads seems to scare the beejesus out of non-Christians.
Quote:
It's on then, isn't it.

Every time some water dunking Baptist, or a Communion sipping Episcopalian confronts the fact that what they do via ritual is not really in the Bible, they get all queezy and nauseous.

Look folks, if you are wedded to some snake charming or fainting in the front of the church, I'm the last person to care, but if you want some modern interpretation of the Bible, in a congenial atmosphere, a spiritual community to fall back on in time of need, or an opportunity to do spiritually based service work, Crossroads is the safest place to go. Seriously.
Quote:
Oh, I am sure there are. But that is not at all inconsistent with what I said. You see, as a seeker church, Crossroads is very very user friendly. Once a person goes, it is an easy place to come back to. But what many who have not been to Crossroads visualize is a fundamentalist evangelical church like the Crystal Cathedral or proselytizing Moonie types at every turn. A seeker church is perfectly fine for you to come, enjoy and leave with no acceptance of their dogma. Tricky folks these Christians. That's why everyone wants to join.
Quote:
As I posted above, Crossroads is much more complex than first meets the eye. Like swimming in a lake. You can paddle around by the shore or swim out to deeper water. Its all up to you.

That's why seeker churches like Crossroads and the Vineyard are so attractive to people with a need for spirituality but religious ritual, not so much. In time, that may come. Maybe, maybe not. They will be happy to have you either way.

Good luck, I am sure you will be happy at Crossroads.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM

112 posts, read 360,216 times
The people I have encounter there arae very nice and helpful and talkative. Also from their brochures have tons of groups and children's church. Mine does when he talks about certain topics but most the time my son is playing his gameboy advance.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStar00 View Post
The people I have encounter there arae very nice and helpful and talkative. Also from their brochures have tons of groups and children's church. Mine does when he talks about certain topics but most the time my son is playing his gameboy advance.

I guess we ran off all of the debaters. Look, I don't see the need for a decision right now. Just go and enjoy the show. They want you to have fun there, get a latte, and a scone and listen to what is presented without any commitment on your part.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM

I was looking at the website and they have groups for women and mothers. That is a plus to me. I love to network and what they beleive fits into what I believe as a Christian. But I would like some feedback from people who are actually Crossroads members please

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Any memebers from Crossroads like to comment on their personal experience. Particualry those who are single parents or families with children. Also does anyone know about Horizons Community Church in Newton? It use to be in Oakley community center but has since grown.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,522 times
My husband and I have been attending Crossroads for over a year now, and we love it. The casual atmosphere took some getting used to but I appreciate is now because the lack of rituals and formalities removes a lot of barriers for people who are new to church. This is the only church I've ever attended where I am excited to invite my friends and family.

It has also given us great opportunities to serve and get involved in the community, you sign up for service opportunities online which makes it easy to jump in when you're ready. If you do decide to attend and wish to connect with other members, I'd recommend using the online search tool or attending a small group connect event. I did this last year and ended up with ten amazing friends. This might be a helpful way for you to get rides/hook up with a carpool. Now would be a good time to find a group because everyone in church has to group up for the next 6 weeks so the online search tool has a lot of traffic.
I'd recommend attending a few weekend services, it's a very user friendly place

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info Allicat. Right now on weekends my son has football till November. But I was looking to attend service there and also check out New Horizons Community church in Newton. Both are not too far from where I live. I prefer the casual dress at church. When I was in church when I was younger I had to always dress up and hated it.

But I will check out and see what groups Crossroads has that fit my schedule. My son practices Tues-Thurs from 6-8.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
isnt crossroads like the biggest church in ohio

Old 01-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
isnt crossroads like the biggest church in ohio
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati