Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:25 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times

Advertisements

"Happy Trails to you, until we eat again" - or something like that.

Photos: Landmark restaurant closing, at least for now | WLWT Home - Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

But don't forget this restaurant separated from the chain and went out on its own. I believe that was due to a change in management at the National Roy Rodgers organization, and a disagreement in franchise rates, etc. All viable business decisions. But don't portray this concern as being an actual part of the Roy Rodgers operation, as they have not been for some time.

They tried to continue on their own as a retro Roy Rodgers copy-cat. I read some reviews which said they were doing a good job, quality wise. But it is hard when you don't have the buying power of a large chain.

Too much has already been published about this location, owned by the Roney family, and for a substantial time NOT affiliated with Roy Rodgers. If I was the Roy Rodgers organization I would consider suing the publications continuing to downgrade our name.

There is a small former Roy Rodgers location near me which has been a myriad of operations. For a period of time it was a Chinese restaurant, offering both in-house service and carryout. While I will still working we would go there for their lunch-time buffet. Pretty good stuff and you certainly got your fill. After I retired, suddenly noticed they closed.

After a period of time, a Mexican operation opened up. They are still operating. Hadn't been there for a long time, but in the last 3 weeks have gone twice while my wife was off doing her thing. The burritos were great, the attendance was poor. They really need a PR campaign to promote the place.

But alas, there is a new Mexican-Grill-Bar off Tylersville Rd which beats them sideways, even though it's patronage is on what should we say slim side.

So our former Roy Rodgers may shortly be sitting empty again.

But please, if Roney's is closing, do not associate them with the Roy Rodgers organization unless the words former, etc are used. They have not been a part of the Roy Rodgers organization for some time and are probably legally restrained from using the name.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

That's a shame. I'd have been there, too, if I still lived in town.

I hope the restaurant is able to find a new location soon , even though it won't be quite the same.

Wonder why the restaurant lost its lease?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's a shame. I'd have been there, too, if I still lived in town.

I hope the restaurant is able to find a new location soon , even though it won't be quite the same.

Wonder why the restaurant lost its lease?
Very likely because they didn't pay their bills. It is very nice to lament a restaurant which has been around for awhile, but Roney's has NOT been a Roy Rodgers affiliate for some time. They were trying to make it on their own, but that is a hard haul. In particular, if they were still using Roy Rodgers recipes, that is a violation of intellectual property rights.

But the most we can say about it is goodbye Roney's for now. Just don't connect it to Roy Rodgers as they have been gone for some time.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Very likely because they didn't pay their bills. It is very nice to lament a restaurant which has been around for awhile, but Roney's has NOT been a Roy Rodgers affiliate for some time. They were trying to make it on their own, but that is a hard haul. In particular, if they were still using Roy Rodgers recipes, that is a violation of intellectual property rights.

But the most we can say about it is goodbye Roney's for now. Just don't connect it to Roy Rodgers as they have been gone for some time.
Give it up, Brill. It's clear from your irrational rants that you know less about this than the Enquirer, which is saying something.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
...National Roy Rodgers organization...

Roy Rogers

No "d".

Happy trails.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Give it up, Brill. It's clear from your irrational rants that you know less about this than the Enquirer, which is saying something.
At least the Enquirer led off its article by stating Roney's Fomerly Roy Rogers. This met their legal obligations, at least they have enough sense to do that. Please pay attention to the actual situation.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,281 times
kjbrill, what the hell are you complaining about? Nobody even called it Roy Roger's in this thread. In fact, if you read the thread title it says "A Bummer for Roy Rogers (restaurant) fans". It makes no direct mention of calling it Roy Rogers.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
I'm sure not one soul who bellied up to the buffet there (literally, for most of 'em, from the looks of the customers in the photo gallery) wasted one second of time worrying about what the place was called when. It was probably still known as Roy Rogers to many of them: "Oops, meant to say 'Roney's,' you knew what I meant." "Yeah, I catch myself all the time too." That's likely how the Roy Rogers management types look at it, if they're paying attention. Out of sight, out of mind. You notice they didn't call their lawyers when the chuck wagon sign in front wasn't taken down.

Perhaps in the crowd there was a suburban misanthrope who was thinking to themselves, "Hmmmm...I know what I'll be doing when I log on to City-Data forty years from now. I'll post an eight-paragraph ramble about what Discount Drone Warehouse used to be! Because that's what may be in this building then, after several other restaurants (all of which I'll write my memories of) occupy it. Then I'll start a flame war in another thread about how Martian-friendly my subdivision isn't, how those creatures are OK by me as long as they don't display their antennae. After that I'll jump into a discussion of a good place for raising children by relating for the gazillionth time how my spouse reacted upon seeing our first house. If there's enough time before bed I'll go on to share my can't-fail recipe for goetta pot pie, starting with which three stores are the best for procuring the ingredients."

"If ya can't lick 'em, parody 'em!"

Old 05-22-2014, 07:07 AM

Goyguy ...

And if I move hundreds of miles away, but for some reason can't get satisfaction from participating in my local forum, will continue to post lengthy dialogues in the Cincinnati forum on topics I know something about. All the while I will profess to having no desire to move back to Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati