Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I don't live in Cincy, but I work here, so a great amount of my money is being earmarked to the streetcar so that gives me a dog in this fight. I think the streetcar's a great idea if it's finanancially self-sufficient. However, nothing I've seen suggests it will be cash flow positive which means the tax payers will be on the hook for the losses just like we are for the Freedom Center's losses.
OH? what that great amount you pay for the street car? $2? I beti pay more to your projects in your twp or city through sales tax or taxes in general or what ever. I don;t get to chime in on those projects that you have . Weather its resurfacing of road or state and federal grants. Ohio Where do you get your water? Maybe your city should build it's own water and sewer plants instead of leeching on the city of Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
I don't live in Cincy, but I work here, so a great amount of my money is being earmarked to the streetcar so that gives me a dog in this fight. I think the streetcar's a great idea if it's finanancially self-sufficient. However, nothing I've seen suggests it will be cash flow positive which means the tax payers will be on the hook for the losses just like we are for the Freedom Center's losses.
Oh you mean because you pay City income tax you feel entitled to express an opinion on what they do with it? How naive.

And you are ignoring the prestige factor which will eventually allow Cincinnati to pretend to be Portland. You should commend Cincinnati for hanging in there in the face of great adversity from some perceived opposition which the voters settled well over a year ago. Oh, if there are contentions over certain expenditures that does not count, it is not a failure of not being addressed in the early stages of the project but that persistent opposition.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Oh you mean because you pay City income tax you feel entitled to express an opinion on what they do with it? How naive.
It seems you guys, who are against the streetcar, are the ones who get upset by people who support it because we tend to answer your accusations with common sense and facts. But over and over again you guys are confronted with the same set of facts and developments, and over and over you build the most unrealistic expectations for the city of Cincinnati to follow. As if all of us who support the street car, and the city itself, should take great pains to answer to you.

I'm amused by it all, really.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
OH? what that great amount you pay for the street car? $2? I beti pay more to your projects in your twp or city through sales tax or taxes in general or what ever. I don;t get to chime in on those projects that you have . Weather its resurfacing of road or state and federal grants. Ohio Where do you get your water? Maybe your city should build it's own water and sewer plants instead of leeching on the city of Cincinnati.
I pay Cincinnati wage taxes, Cincinnati sales taxes, state of Ohio taxes, and U.S. federal taxes.......all these taxes go to pay for construction of your street car and its ongoing operating losses.....so you better believe I have a huge stake in it. The same people who agreed to the lavish city employee pensions (10% of the city's operating budget goes to pay for pensions------which will bankrupt the city within 5-10 years).......and gave us the lovely Freedom Center (that was money well spent), are the people making the decisions how to build the street car.

Sorry, but that doesn't give finanancially astute individuals a real warm & fuzzy feeling about your streetcar. It's called a vote of no-confidence.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You're dang right it makes me entitled to express an opinion on how my money's spent. I work hard for my money and I hate to see it wasted.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
No, not at all. Don't flatter yourself into thinking your point of view is somehow troublesome to me. You have your perspective and I have mine.
Thank you. In the past you've attacked me on a personal level for expressing my opinion. I appreciate the change.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Thank you. In the past you've attacked me on a personal level for expressing my opinion. I appreciate the change.
Well, in all fairness, in the past we have been at each other on a personal level - it's not just me. So, I am happy to move onwards and upwards.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but that doesn't give finanancially astute individuals a real warm & fuzzy feeling about your streetcar. It's called a vote of no-confidence.
Well, actually, it was voted in favor twice by citizens of Cincinnati. Sorry, but you have no vote in the matter.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,339 times
Where is the outrage for the Brent Spence bridge? It's going to be tolled too? I don't see near the disagreement with that project than this one. And that thing is going to cost 30 times more than the streetcar when all is said and done.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
It seems you guys, who are against the streetcar, are the ones who get upset by people who support it because we tend to answer your accusations with common sense and facts. But over and over again you guys are confronted with the same set of facts and developments, and over and over you build the most unrealistic expectations for the city of Cincinnati to follow. As if all of us who support the street car, and the city itself, should take great pains to answer to you.

I'm amused by it all, really.
I continue to also be amused by the constant rehashing of the same arguments by the anti crowd. It's not working. The streetcar is being built - period. Accept it and move on.

Why continue to be obsessed about something that you can't change?

As for the complaining about the delays: Massive infrastructure projects aren't just like tearing down an old Taco Bell and building a new one. They're complicated, complex and, at times, tricky. Cincinnati's timeline and delays aren't all that different from what other cities have gone through. Heck, I75 through downtown Dayton has been an absolute construction nightmare for the better part of the past decade, and work still isn't projected to be finished until 2017 or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati