Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Not to pick on your post too much. There are those of us who see the intrinsic value in urban areas rich in architecture and history. We see the value and have vision for what it could become once again. Personally, this motivates me to fight for my neighborhood and make it better instead of letting thugs run me off packing into someplace I do not want to be because it seems safe.
That is just fine. Fighting for the neighborhood where you live is a noble thing. But at what point do you decide and declare that fight has been won?

I will admit architecture and history mean little more to me than cultural inheritances. I am much more interested in what tomorrow is bringing. And there is so very little the revitalization of urban America is contributing other than perhaps saving on gas. But I see virtually nothing happening there to offset the real economic problem of America, the loss of manufacturing jobs. Concentrating large office, service oriented, businesses in downtown locations will not offset the loss of manufacturing jobs nation wide. And BTY most of those manufacturing plants were loacated either in inner-ring or outer-ring suburbs, not the CBD. That it is reason it was called the Central Business District, not the Central Manufacturing District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
That is just fine. Fighting for the neighborhood where you live is a noble thing. But at what point do you decide and declare that fight has been won?
Well, from my perspective, that is an individual decision.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
I like the way that a fairly large number of people and also organizations that are in Price Hill are sticking their neck out for their neighborhood in an effort to improve it. They are obviously very pro active and want to bring in the right elements to improve the quality of life. This "can do" attitude is quite refreshing over the negative attitudes I've experienced first hand in the KC region.

Here in KC I actually contacted four or maybe it was five area communities (including one neighborhood in the city) about starting up my flea powered radio station there. In every case I either got a runaround or brushed off with little or no reason given. KC is losing its battle against violent crime because I don't think they have the intestinal fortitude to take back their city from the hard core criminals. The apathetic attitude of the people here (both young and old) is almost frightening and it is evident that the society here is hedonistic and lazy with undue emphasis on "feeling good" and having fun. I see little evidence that most of these people want to improve their earning potential at work through a new and better job or working two jobs to save and get ahead. And the lack of involvement in their towns and neighborhoods is quite a contrast to what I am seeing in Price Hill and also many other inner city neighborhoods in other cities in the country that I've visited, lived in or researched. I won't be going back to the well in KC again even if it now has water. As far as I am concerned the water in the KC region is tainted and not worth drinking.

If Price Hill can continue to fight the war on violent crime and continue to reduce it in the years ahead then it most certainly will become a desirable are of the city again and it is very likely lots of new, hard working residents will move in and reshape the area into a center of retail, culture and hopefully some fine dining.

I applaud the fact that many of the residents of PH want to fight and take back their neighborhood. Even though it can only be done on a street by street basis, it is a step in the right direction. I'd rather live in a place like PH even with the crime than in the KC area which I liken to this:

Black hole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 AM

^^ and it begs the question as well, will people pack up and leave if their suburban surroundings take a turn for the worse? Where does it end?

I am of the opinion flight doesn't work but exacerbates the problems by letting the thugs get away with thuggery unimpeded.

And I am not saying move into a lost neighborhood that is bouncing around on the bottom with no immediate future evident. What would one lone ranger, urban pioneer accomplish in the darkest ghetto? Not much.

But an area like PH speaks for itself. It's a rough area that is seeing criminal activity decline. That only happens by residents standing their ground, placing anon. phone calls to police reporting criminal activity, cleaning up their block, etc. We give criminals too much credit. They want to be left alone to get away with their criminality. The definitely don't want interference from concerned neighbors who are not afraid to work with law enforcement.

Most criminals are lazy. Make it too hard for them and they will move on, talking about how much "heat" is on the streets.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
^^ and it begs the question as well, will people pack up and leave if their suburban surroundings take a turn for the worse? Where does it end?

I am of the opinion flight doesn't work but exacerbates the problems by letting the thugs get away with thuggery unimpeded.

And I am not saying move into a lost neighborhood that is bouncing around on the bottom with no immediate future evident. What would one lone ranger, urban pioneer accomplish in the darkest ghetto? Not much.

But an area like PH speaks for itself. It's a rough area that is seeing criminal activity decline. That only happens by residents standing their ground, placing anon. phone calls to police reporting criminal activity, cleaning up their block, etc. We give criminals too much credit. They want to be left alone to get away with their criminality. The definitely don't want interference from concerned neighbors who are not afraid to work with law enforcement.

Most criminals are lazy. Make it too hard for them and they will move on, talking about how much "heat" is on the streets.
I agree completely. I've actually experienced and have seen more crime in this little rural town in MO where I live presently than in ANY urban area where I've lived. Or for that matter ANY other rural town as well.

In OH and KY, are you legally able to defend your personal property or home in the event an intruder breaks in? Or is it like England where even if you fight back you get arrested for harming the intruder?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
In OH and KY, are you legally able to defend your personal property or home in the event an intruder breaks in?
I can't speak for Kentucky, but Ohio has a newer law called Castle Doctrine and it extends to cars as well. Unless something is really fishy, charges will not be brought against anyone who has to use lethal force to defend themselves when faced with home invasion, etc.

Defending property is something else entirely. You would be charged if you shot someone breaking into your tool shed. You have to have reason to believe your or your families life is in danger.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
I can't speak for Kentucky, but Ohio has a newer law called Castle Doctrine and it extends to cars as well. Unless something is really fishy, charges will not be brought against anyone who has to use lethal force to defend themselves when faced with home invasion, etc.

Defending property is something else entirely. You would be charged if you shot someone breaking into your tool shed. You have to have reason to believe your or your families life is in danger.
My recollection about Kentucky--and people who are really interested should independently confirm that this is correct--that (absent special circumstances) once an intruder is in the process of stepping over the threshhold of your house, or partway into a window, etc., you are assumed to be justified in using deadly force to repel them. I don't recall anything about cars one way or the other.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Speaking of intruders... As I write this a demented and rather large Robin is flying into the glass of my kitchen window attempting to gain entry into my house. I've never see this before though I have heard of birds trying to fly into car windows. I wonder if an earthquake is on the way?

Back on topic. As long as it is legal to use some kind of force to repel an intruder into your house I am content. I just don't want to be told by the law that I have to sit there and take it if and when someone gains entry into my house and wants to burglarize or rob me.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Back on topic. As long as it is legal to use some kind of force to repel an intruder into your house I am content. I just don't want to be told by the law that I have to sit there and take it if and when someone gains entry into my house and wants to burglarize or rob me.
You are ok around here. It's very unlikely you will ever face such a situation. You may want to check out Ohio's CCW laws. You seem like the type who is interested in being prepared 99% of the time for the unlikely 1% chance you will ever need to use lethal force to defend your life.

Anywho, enough said.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
PHW

3 posts, read 3,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Is PHW Price Hill Will or am I just wishfully thinking..?

That's us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati