Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times

Advertisements

DramaMamma; I found this "racist" element prevalent all over the Cincy region - and was so totally disappointed.
When I left the area in the early '70's, Cincy and much of the rural areas around it seemed extremely open to change and progressive - a truly "international" flavor. I bragged it up for years - until I moved back for a little over a year (just leaving again a year ago). I found Cincy to be a ticking time-bomb, racially. The ghettoes had totally deteriorated, the freer aspects I had so admired 30 years before were gone.
Now, one must realize that most of these areas that are now open for discussion as "suburban" choices - weren't suburban a few decades ago. They were, mostly, farming communities which one would think would tend toward a "ethnically pure" make-up and also the "redneck" make-up that so many speak of ... that word, redneck, having changed much over the years as well to become more all-inclusive of anybody that isn't in a 3-piece (suit) or R.E.I camping shorts holding a Starbucks mug in their hand (no offense to Startbucks, only a little to R.E.I).
Mason also is the town where a bar put a sign in their window saying "English speaking Only" or some such. So, it's not just African-derived peoples who invoke racially-charged expletives.
I think the problem is now indicative of the entire area - not just Mason or Lebanon or So. Lebanon - better judgement seems to have disappeared in the mainstream.
However, anytime you have areas that were once rural and primarily white becoming the new "suburbia" then, deep-seated emotions will remain a controlling influence for a long time to come and in the Cincy area, it appears that all races are feeling equally charged.
Doesn't mean there aren't good people there - and doesn't mean that a person can't get a fair shake - but does scream a "Heads-Up" to fair-minded people of all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
While good judement in general is not common.. there are plenty of yuppies 'round here. Though I would not classify myself as one (modest 2 bedroom house paid for, cars 3 of them that are also older and paid for).

Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,043 times
Isn't Mason an area where tornadoes frequently touch down? If I remember correctly when I was there, it was. I think I would consider that in the equation, too.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Isn't Mason an area where tornadoes frequently touch down? If I remember correctly when I was there, it was. I think I would consider that in the equation, too.
I don't believe tornadoes are any more frequent in Mason then Lebanon. We are no tornado alley, but near us is Xenia and they seem to get hit hard every 20 years or so.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Morrow got "tore-up" a year ago or so - just tree-damage basically. That's fairly near Lebanon (9 mi). Those ol' tornadoes can hit anywhere - they're always a surprise - but like Xenia, some towns just seem to attract them more than others.
So, figuring them into the equation is one thing - but only a few towns throughout the alley can really expect a biggie.
You can always move to Earthquake areas instead. Or Tsunami areas. Or volcanic areas. Or Hurricane areas. Or flood-ravaged areas.
A good battery-operated radio and a basement go a long way towards calming your fears.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Morrow got "tore-up" a year ago or so - just tree-damage basically. That's fairly near Lebanon (9 mi). Those ol' tornadoes can hit anywhere - they're always a surprise - but like Xenia, some towns just seem to attract them more than others.
So, figuring them into the equation is one thing - but only a few towns throughout the alley can really expect a biggie.
You can always move to Earthquake areas instead. Or Tsunami areas. Or volcanic areas. Or Hurricane areas. Or flood-ravaged areas.
A good battery-operated radio and a basement go a long way towards calming your fears.
Agreed.. just run down with your pillows when the sirens sound.. guess 40 years of being in Southwest Ohio=not worrying about tornadoes.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 18,353 times
I have lived in Lebanon for the last 3 years and I love it. If you are looking for that hometown feel this is the place for you. The town has that old town charm that is decorated in lights every Christmas with a Horse and Carriage Parade to start the holidays. It is a town where you dance with your neighbor at the annual Blues Festival. Lebanon is a town where your child's principal knows them by name not because they are a bad student, but because they are involved with the students. Lebanon is the type of place you see people out shopping in the antique shops and the village ice cream pallor. Lebanon is bringing in a lot of new businesses. They are opening up a new skating rink, a new bowling alley with volley ball, several new restaurants, super wal-mart opened up a few months ago, a new medical center is going in, a new kohls, a new target, and many others. Lebanon is growing by leaps and bounds. Our schools are rated Excellent. We have wonderful teachers that really care about our children. If you are looking for a town that is family-oriented then you will like Lebanon.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,170 times
I was talking about lebanon mo. This is really confusing there are too many lebanons.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 18,513 times
Default Question on bowling alley

Hi, don't know if you will see this, but I just moved to Liberty Township and your quote came up. I was trying to search where/when the new bowling alley is and when it will open. I'm a big bowler and was kind of disappointed at the bad reviews Mason bowl has written about it. Do you know anything about when it will open?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filos5 View Post
Lebanon is bringing in a lot of new businesses. They are opening up a new skating rink, a new bowling alley with volley ball, several new restaurants, super wal-mart opened up a few months ago, a new medical center is going in, a new kohls, a new target, and many others. Lebanon is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
the new bowling alley in Lebanon is supposed to open Summer 2008. Don't know when specifically. We are new here and avidly waiting for it - we are from Michigan where everyone bowls!!

Oh - for you there's Princeton Bowl on Rt 747 right near tri-county mall -- that might not be too far from you in the meantime, but I know nothing about how good an alley it is.

Happy Bowling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati