Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

Akin to a similar thread I started for the Bengals, I would alike to acknowledge the contributions sports have made to Cincinnati. We have a great legacy.

I remember my father talking at length about Johnny Vander Meer and his consecutive No-Hitters for the Reds. This is a record unlikely to be broken. Unlike season home run records, consecutive games played, etc. this may be the one out of reach. To just tie the record, you have to pitch two consecutive no-hitters. To break the record, you have to pitch three.

I will kind of kick this off with a menory of Wally Post, the St Henry Strong Man. I was fortunate to see Wally play at Crosley Field when I was young. He had started out as a pitcher but had dubvious control so the Reds put him in right field. But as an arm, maybe none stronger. I remember going to Reds games, just hoping for a close one with the opposition having a runner on third with the game on the line. A single to right field is virtually considered a run in. But if it was a sharp hit, Wally could throw the runner out at the plate. Tremendous, spectacular, what you watch sports for. Cincionnati has had a fair share of sports spectaculars. What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,423 times
I remember being at Crosley Field with my dad (64-65) and seeing some of the tape measure home runs by Frank Robinson (By the way the WORST TRADE IN REDS HISTORY). The speed on the base paths and accuracy of throws by Vada Pinson was unreal he was one of the best center fielders I have ever seen. One of the greatest feats I have ever witnessed was a player by the name of Jimmy Winn (The toy Cannon) of the Houston Astros/Colt 45's. Not only did he hit a home run over the left field fence but it flew over Western Ave but out and onto S/B I 75. I read later on that the ball traveled about 600ft.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Vada Pinson was indeed a player worth watching. I agree on the worst trade of Frank Robinson. I remember when the Reds moved the right field fence in to give the line drives of Ted Kluzewski a better chance of going out of the park. I remember seeing several first basemen duck rather than try and snag one of Ted's drives. Keep it coming.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
It's an absolute shame that the only pitcher anyone remembers from the '30s and '40s is Vander Meer. No doubt his back to back no hitters were a major feat, but he was FAR from the best pitcher the Reds had. Consider the following:

In 1939, the Reds went to the World Series on the shoulders of Bucky Walters, who had 31 COMPLETE GAMES, and 27 wins with a 2.29 ERA. He was followed by a strong #2 man, Paul Derringer who had 28 COMPLETE GAMES and a 2.93 ERA. Both Derringer and Walters pitched over 300 innings. Vander Meer that year was dead last in the Reds' starting rotation with a 4.67 ERA.

Then in 1940, Walters pitched 29 more complete games, and Derringer 26. Walters had a stellar 2.48 ERA. The Reds won the World Series in '40 and Vander Meer only appeared in 10 games that season.

Another pitcher that I like from that era was Ewell "The Whip" Blackwell. in '47 Blackwell had 23 complete games, with a miniscule 2.47 ERA and went 22-8 that season. Vander Meer went 9-14.

For his career, Vander Meer had a losing win/loss percentage. I'd take Bucky Walters any day over Johnny Vander Meer.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Sometimes you just have to do the right thng at the right time. Vander Meer's career statistics may not be that stellar, but two consecutive No-Hitters is hard to match. I also remember Ewell The Whip Blackwell. He was a performer.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
If we are talking about Cincinnati sports history, we have to talk about Oscar Robinson. What a basketball hero, a gentleman and a great citizen as well.

When I was in high school and college, I used to deliver flowers for Louis the Florist on Paddock.

One Mother's Day I delivered the biggest bouquet of roses I ever saw to The Big O's mother.

I got to the home (N. Avondale, I think) and here was Oscar shooting baskets in the back yard by flood light and 2 cars headlights. (This was his 1st or 2nd year with the Royals) Very polite, said hi and I went about my business with my delivery.

As I was leaving his Mom's house, he asked if I had any more deliveries. I told him no, this was my last of the day. He then asked if I wanted to shoot some baskets with him? This fat, non sport's playing Jewish guy said Really?

The Big O said yes

We played around for about an hour. If I said I taught him anything, I'd be lying. But, WHAT A MEMORABLE NIGHT.

Thanks Oscar!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If we are talking about Cincinnati sports history, we have to talk about Oscar Robinson. What a basketball hero, a gentleman and a great citizen as well.

When I was in high school and college, I used to deliver flowers for Louis the Florist on Paddock.

One Mother's Day I delivered the biggest bouquet of roses I ever saw to The Big O's mother.

I got to the home (N. Avondale, I think) and here was Oscar shooting baskets in the back yard by flood light and 2 cars headlights. (This was his 1st or 2nd year with the Royals) Very polite, said hi and I went about my business with my delivery.

As I was leaving his Mom's house, he asked if I had any more deliveries. I told him no, this was my last of the day. He then asked if I wanted to shoot some baskets with him? This fat, non sport's playing Jewish guy said Really?

The Big O said yes

We played around for about an hour. If I said I taught him anything, I'd be lying. But, WHAT A MEMORABLE NIGHT.

Thanks Oscar!!!
That is a great piece of memorability. Oscar was going to UC during the time I was a student there. A fellow I had gone to high school with was offered a walk-on opportunity at UC. I met him on campus a couple of weeks into the year and he said I am transferring. I asked Why Roland? He said well Eastern Kentucky has offered me a scholarship, but besides that we have a freshman here at UC by the name of Oscar Robertson who is going to redefine the game.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM

KjBrill: This is about as far back as I can remember, I believe the starting positions for the (64-65-66) seasons is as follows: 1st Base Gordy Coleman, 2nd base Chico Ruiz or Pete Rose, SS Leo Cardenas, 3rd base Tony Perez or Darren Johnson, catcher Johnny Edwards, Right field Frank Robinson, Center Field Vada Pinson, Left field Pete Rose or Art Shamsky...Pitchers of the time, Jim Malony, Jim O Toole, Bob Purkey.

I can get more, my father kept score cards and game programs from this era. To bad I did not keep the baseball cards from this time. I HAD the Rose and Perez rookie cards...

Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 PM

By the 64-65-66 seasons I was already graduated from UC, married, and had two kids. So I can probably recall the Reds for about a decade prior to that.

My starting lineup would have Ted Kluzewski at 1st, Johnny Temple at 2nd, Roy McMillan at SS, Don Hoak at 3rd, Smokey Burgess behind the plate, Wally Post in right, and Gus Bell in Center. When Vada Pinson and Frank Robinson joined this lineup it became thrilling. Of course Johnny Edwards then got behind the plate.

I certainly remember the 1956 season when the Reds tied the season record for most home runs by a team (221). But the 1997 Seattle Mariners walloped that with 264.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
By the 64-65-66 seasons I was already graduated from UC, married, and had two kids. So I can probably recall the Reds for about a decade prior to that.

My starting lineup would have Ted Kluzewski at 1st, Johnny Temple at 2nd, Roy McMillan at SS, Don Hoak at 3rd, Smokey Burgess behind the plate, Wally Post in right, and Gus Bell in Center. When Vada Pinson and Frank Robinson joined this lineup it became thrilling. Of course Johnny Edwards then got behind the plate.

I certainly remember the 1956 season when the Reds tied the season record for most home runs by a team (221). But the 1997 Seattle Mariners walloped that with 264.

Throughout the years, I have met some of these players (50's-60's,70's) when I took my kids down to Riverfront, GABP and Redsfest, all true gentlemen. And yes Cincinnati has been lucky to have the players they have had.

I would given my right arm to see Klue, Post, Temple and the rest of the 50's Reds. I was born in 56.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati