Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

1) Are there any decent places to hike on unimproved trails within a half hour to 45 minute drive of Cincinnati? I'd prefer a place or places that are relatively unused by people. When I go hiking I like to be alone unless I am with friends and hate to run into other people. At least if I can find a place or two that have only a handful of people spoiling the peace and quiet I can probably put up with it. Devou Park will work in a pinch but I know it is a popular spot and filled with people.

2) Are there any Credit Unions in the Kentucky suburbs directly across the river from Cincy that are open to residents of Covington?

3) Can I find a quality locally produced Bratwurst at any of the local stores like Kroger? Or will I have to find a small market that specializes in meats or a butcher shop?

4) Are there any hardware stores in Covington that will make keys?

5) Do any local stores sell all natural hardwood charcoal? I have a smoker and smoke meats in the warmer months and I prefer to use hardwood charcoal over briquettes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
There was a place that sold locks not too far out on I think Madison Avenue, which sounds like a good bet.

Don't ask me for a single detail as I was in an enormous rush when I ran there and bought one. All I recall is the west side of the street and probably well north of the supermarket.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
3) Can I find a quality locally produced Bratwurst at any of the local stores like Kroger? Or will I have to find a small market that specializes in meats or a butcher shop?
Butcher shop. Check out Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market. They have all kinds of sausage, most of it they make themselves.

Quote:
5) Do any local stores sell all natural hardwood charcoal? I have a smoker and smoke meats in the warmer months and I prefer to use hardwood charcoal over briquettes.
Most hardware store will sell it in season, some all year around. I quit using hardwood because it burns up too fast in my smoker. Yes, I have a cheap smoker. So I really haven't purchased it in a while.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
It's a farther drive than you asked for, but investigate Natural Bridge State Park and the Daniel Boone Forest in Kentucky. On the brat question, not sure what your quality standard is but start your search at Avril Bleh on Court St. in downtown Cincinnati.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Avril Bleh on Court St. in downtown Cincinnati.
I really need to check that place out. Found it online and window shopped on my way to the BMV a few weeks ago.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
It's a farther drive than you asked for, but investigate Natural Bridge State Park and the Daniel Boone Forest in Kentucky. On the brat question, not sure what your quality standard is but start your search at Avril Bleh on Court St. in downtown Cincinnati.
Something that is better than Johnsonville Brat's will work. Had some good stuff in Minnesota many years ago but once you get away from MN and WI trying to find locally produced stuff is tough.

I will check into the places you just suggested for hiking. While I may not be able to go to these places on a regular basis, they will probably be on my itinerary at least a couple of times a year.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Butcher shop. Check out Eckerlin Meats at Findlay Market. They have all kinds of sausage, most of it they make themselves.

Most hardware store will sell it in season, some all year around. I quit using hardwood because it burns up too fast in my smoker. Yes, I have a cheap smoker. So I really haven't purchased it in a while.
Do you use something like a Char Broil or Brinkmann smoker? One of those small things with a kettle top? I use the Char Broil model and have made some pretty good stuff with it for years. I've had good luck with hardwood actually. In many cases, I can reuse the pieces that are left after a few hours of burning because I keep the lid on the smoker even after I am done cooking. That way the remnants of the charcoal don't burn up completely and there will be pieces of charcoal left to use next time.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Do you use something like a Char Broil or Brinkmann smoker?
I had a Brinkmann box smoker. I liked it a lot, but could not do any real quantity of meats in it. I grabbed a Charbroil from Home Depot. It's a side box variety. I have done a few briskets and a 30 pound baby pig on it. While it's larger, it loses a lot of heat from being manufactured of a lighter grade steel. I make it work though. But even for a four hour rib smoke it uses a lot of charcoal.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
1) Are there any decent places to hike on unimproved trails within a half hour to 45 minute drive of Cincinnati?
California Woods
Caldwell Nature Preserve
Caesar Creek State Park
Stonelick State Park
John Bryan State Park and Clifton Gorge (crowded on weekends, but worth the trip)
Fort Ancient (same as above)

There's a very short but largely unused little nature trail through Dogwood Park in Mariemont, at Wooster Pike and Pleasant Street, west of the square.

I can't imagine some of the huger Hamilton County parks wouldn't have nice off the beaten path trails; the only park I've ever hiked in is Sharon Woods.

Avoid French Park unless you want to be sniffed to death by unleashed dogs.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
There was a place that sold locks not too far out on I think Madison Avenue, which sounds like a good bet.

Don't ask me for a single detail as I was in an enormous rush when I ran there and bought one. All I recall is the west side of the street and probably well north of the supermarket.
Looks like Do It Best. Found it doing a google search. Thanks. They get good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati