Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Thanks much for the info. I looked up hotels in Blue Ash, and there seems to be a lot, but not all of them offer banquet/meeting rooms for receptions over 100 people.
Have you contacted the Chambers of Commerce in the Cincinnati area to get some information about conference centers, meeting rooms, banquet halls etc.? That information could help you to target the areas where you will find work.

I too live in the KC area and I got a chuckle out of your "being held hostage in KC" comment. I can't wait to leave here and get to an area that is not a large backwater. The Cincy area has a lot of positive energy and people that want to make it an even better place to live and work. Best of all its a big little city that does seem to welcome outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM

433 posts, read 959,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I too live in the KC area and I got a chuckle out of your "being held hostage in KC" comment. I can't wait to leave here and get to an area that is not a large backwater. The Cincy area has a lot of positive energy and people that want to make it an even better place to live and work. Best of all its a big little city that does seem to welcome outsiders.
Oh that's too funny -- Let me know when you get ready to move -- I'll have my bags packed and we can share a mover.

Oh, and P.S. I better get outta Kansas by September or I'll have to start popping Prozac.

Last edited by 50something; 03-13-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Quote:
You just gave me an idea, THANK YOU. Hotels near the airport generally are upscale with either meeting rooms or ballrooms.

Anyone have any ideas about good locations to rent within a 15-minute drive to the airport?
Just an idea, but the Manor House in Mason (on Mason-Montgomery Rd) has become a very popular place for wedding receptions. There's two Marriotts within 6 miles of there-----one off Mason-Montgomery Rd near 71------and one in West Chester right off 75 (that one's a little nicer but about 4 miles further away). The prior living recommendations of Blue Ash and Kenwood make a lot of sense-----there's a lot of "worldly" people there in your age group----and I think with a little digging you could find a nice condo/apartment complex that caters to that demographic. The Blue Ash Recreation Center was just refurbished and is a fantastic meeting place during the day for that demo. It's a breeze to get from Blue Ash to downtown--particularly on the weekends---I think you may want to consider holding some wedding receptions downtown----especially in the summer.....but google The Manor House in Mason.

Last edited by flashes1; 03-14-2013 at 05:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Wow, I am thinking South Jersey isn't more expensive than (or as) Cincy.
Oh, no ... No way is South Jersey as inexpensive as Cincinnati. I live northwest of Philadelphia now, so I have somewhat of an idea of that. Housing, food, taxes ... all significantly more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
with its nearest neighbor being the Twin Towers retirement complex
I've got my eye on that place in about 15 years ... Who's with me?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, no ... No way is South Jersey as inexpensive as Cincinnati. I live northwest of Philadelphia now, so I have somewhat of an idea of that. Housing, food, taxes ... all significantly more expensive.

I've got my eye on that place in about 15 years ... Who's with me?
Twin Towers is highly recommended by several people I know who live there: some in the independent apartments, others in the main building in the assisted living spaces. I doubt if I'll be able to afford it, though!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
I am all ears regarding College Hill.... I confess to pure ignorance about that part of Cincy. I didn't get what condo community you were referring to. (Is Hammond North in College Hill, and are the condos in that building owned or rented?) Any names of apartments/condos you can share would be appreciated.
I wouldn't recommend renting elsewhere in College Hill other than Hammond North. Yes, it's in College Hill although slightly "down the hill" toward Northside. The condos are owned, but I'm pretty sure you could find some for rent at any given time. Hammond North Condos - Home Page

Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Oh that's too funny -- Let me know when you get ready to move -- I'll have my bags packed and we can share a mover.

Oh, and P.S. I better get outta Kansas by September or I'll have to start popping Prozac.
I'll be taking a roundabout route to Cincy. But I will be there eventually since I own a house in Covington and I am going to start shopping for another one in NKY.

Prozac? I think that is part of the problem with the KC area right there. Half these people are abusing some kind of legal or illicit substance. The mental issues that half the population exhibits is sociopathic with many other people showing signs of paranoid, even delusional behavior in many cases. I've lived in ten different states and I've never seen so many screwed up people in my life as I've seen in the KC region. People in our age bracket are the worst by far but at least some of the younger people seem to be grounded and fairly well adjusted when compared to the people over the age of 40 here in KC.

Cincy has enough of a mix of different people that you won't find the culture and attitude to be that stifling or close minded at least when compared to KC. It won't be the east coast mind you, but it will definitely be a couple of notches better than your current home.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
As has been noted, there is no one cluster of hotels in suburban Cincinnati, particularly of a size to have banquet facilities suitable for wedding receptions. The largest cluster of hotels would be surrounding Kings Island, but most of them are geared to families visiting Kings Island for leisure and do not have banquet facilities.

But there are several spread around the area. Wingate in Westchester north near Tylersville and I-75. Kings Island Resort and Conference Center across Kings Island Drive from the park. The conference center is definitely large enough to hold a sizable wedding reception. Great Wolf Lodge and Conference Center next to Kings Island is attractive if there is a large number of out-of-town guests with young children. Marriott at Mason Montgomery and I-71 and the nearby Hilton Garden Inn. A couple in the business park district of Blue Ash off Reed Hartman Highway such as the Embassy Suites. There are a couple off Chester Rd in Sharonville near I-75 and the Sharonville Convention Center. Marriott in Westchester south at Union Centre and I-75.

Also the pure banquet and conference centers such as the Manor House in Mason which is quite large and can handle a variety of crowd sizes with their ability to partition the space. The Manor house has acquired adjacent property with the intent of building a hotel and chapel to become a single location wedding destination. Due to the economic climate they have delayed construction but I believe they will go ahead at some point since it makes sense, giving them a distinction to set them apart. The Oasis in Loveland next to the Oasis Country Club is an attractive facility, also Wunderland on Colerain Ave near Mt Airy which has an attractive outdoor gazebo for holding a summer wedding.

As pointed out there is always downtown. but I feel they rapidly get quite pricey. Some clients will have no problem with that and it is always an option. But locating yourself in a more central location to the suburban locations mentioned above will give you the flexibility of recommending one of them to a client without running yourself completely ragged.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I moved from Cincinnati to South Jersey in 2004. I agree that the cost of living in CNJ and NNJ is ridiculous, but not in SNJ -- especially in terms of housing RENTS... I have firsthand knowledge of living in SNJ. I am a native of North New Jersey but lived in SNJ from 2004 to 2010, and the rents in some areas of SNJ appear to be comparable to Cinti. Last month I was approved for (and then jumped ship prior to signing a lease) a very nice upstairs corner apt in Marlton, an upscale area of SNJ. The rent on the unit is $975 and included full-size w/d with water, hot water, and heat paid -- coincidentally the VERY SAME apartment that I lived in from 2004 to 2010. I've been comparing rents in South Jersey with Cincinnati rents, and they appear to be pretty much the same. Condo and apartment rentals in Philly metro area SNJ range from $700 to $1500 for a 1-bedroom.

With the exception of auto insurance, I did not find the cost of living in South Jersey to be higher than Cinti. I will also say that I am currently paying almost $500 vehicle registration annually in the Midwest on a 2011 Lexus SUV; however, my registration in SNJ on a comparable vehicle was less than $100.

Last edited by 50something; 03-14-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'll be taking a roundabout route to Cincy. But I will be there eventually since I own a house in Covington and I am going to start shopping for another one in NKY.

Prozac? I think that is part of the problem with the KC area right there. Half these people are abusing some kind of legal or illicit substance. The mental issues that half the population exhibits is sociopathic with many other people showing signs of paranoid, even delusional behavior in many cases. I've lived in ten different states and I've never seen so many screwed up people in my life as I've seen in the KC region. People in our age bracket are the worst by far but at least some of the younger people seem to be grounded and fairly well adjusted when compared to the people over the age of 40 here in KC.

Cincy has enough of a mix of different people that you won't find the culture and attitude to be that stifling or close minded at least when compared to KC. It won't be the east coast mind you, but it will definitely be a couple of notches better than your current home.
I was joking about the Prozac, good grief!!!

I lived in Cinti for nine years, along with living 14 different states over my lifetime. I have fond memories of living in Cincy and SNJ, but not so much here in KC.... additionally, terrible terrible experiences living in NE/IA.

Last edited by 50something; 03-14-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati