Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:55 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times

Advertisements

Probably a stupid question to some but I've never hung drapes. Put in a couple at the house this weekend but noted the drapes only have a pattern on one side while the other side is plain white. I thought drapes were supposed to have fabric and a pattern on both sides?

In any event, I am guessing that I need to hang something else in front of the window since the fabric side is facing into the room. What do I use?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
People use a white sheer material that hangs on the window side of the drapes.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Sounds like the drapes you hung are what is called lined. The purpose of the lining is to absorb the sun and prevent bleaching of the main fabric. Seems to me you are in good shape. Drapes are intended to decorate the interior, not the exterior.

If the drapes will be left open most of the time, the sheer whites Wilson mentioned can be a nice addition to reduce the starkness of the window. They need a curtain rod, but are simply hung straight with the panels overlaping. They are also used with unlined drapes as a sun blocker.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Many drapes are white on the window facing side. It gives the outside of the house a uniform appearance (something that many folks seem to fuss over). Thermal draperies have a white coating on the back to keep out heat, cold, and light.

I like the look of sheers, too. They make a room look polished, and give you privacy while letting in light.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 PM

WILWRadio ...

How is your drape hanging experience coming? Do you understand the difference between lined and unlined? If you have unlined you want to put something between the drape and the window to block the UV rays of the sun and prevent bleaching of the actual drape. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
WILWRadio ...

How is your drape hanging experience coming? Do you understand the difference between lined and unlined? If you have unlined you want to put something between the drape and the window to block the UV rays of the sun and prevent bleaching of the actual drape. Good luck.
Yep, these are lined. Knowing that I may just leave the white side exposed since it makes sense to use it to block sunlight during the warm months. Perhaps, during the cold months I can reverse them and use the dark blue side to generate some heat.

Only installed a couple. Will do more the next time I get down there. I had to get a new engine for my car and I've been without it for three weeks. Should have my car back by next weekend. It will be nice not having to use a rental frequently especially for work.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yep, these are lined. Knowing that I may just leave the white side exposed since it makes sense to use it to block sunlight during the warm months. Perhaps, during the cold months I can reverse them and use the dark blue side to generate some heat.

Only installed a couple. Will do more the next time I get down there. I had to get a new engine for my car and I've been without it for three weeks. Should have my car back by next weekend. It will be nice not having to use a rental frequently especially for work.
Who did you get to replace the engine?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Quote:

And, also, what did you do to the engine that the whole thing had to be replaced?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, also, what did you do to the engine that the whole thing had to be replaced?
What did I do? Well, the mistake I made was taking it to a Tires Plus shop in Indy. Asked them to check and replace the timing belt. Was told it was fine. A few weeks later it broke while I was driving on I 65 south of Indy. Two valves got tagged but I was able to drive it a few more months which saved my job. Could not find an engine for it back in April when this happened. Got lucky and found one through a friend out west. Having it installed by someone a local Firestone shop recommended. At least Firestone here in Indy seems to be reputable and so is the guy that will be installing the engine.

This entire mess is costing me at least a couple grand for the car and over a grand in lost income since I have had to rely upon using a rental for the last three weeks. Could not work as many hours as I'd like as a result and now my plans for buying a second property in northern KY are essentially dead. This in turn has probably destroyed the plans I had for developing my flea powered AM radio station there as well. Need at least two sites, each with a transmitter to cover an adequate area and also I wanted to use one property as a rental to supplement my income from the radio station and a job in the area.

Back to the drawing board.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
See the post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati