Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times

Advertisements

^Yeah' I've always thought Toronto was fairly equitable to Chicago - like the two are almost twins, really. Similar to the Indy - Columbus scenario, except further apart. But I don't have the CSA figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:48 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^Yeah' I've always thought Toronto was fairly equitable to Chicago - like the two are almost twins, really. Similar to the Indy - Columbus scenario, except further apart. But I don't have the CSA figures.
Chicago has a larger CSA than Toronto 9.9 million to 8.7 million.. The Toronto region however has been growing faster than Chicagoland and if the last 40 year rates will continue for another 25 than Toronto will have a larger CSA than Chicagoland.

In truth - these CSA things are pretty outlandish imo.. By the time you get out to the fringes of either Chicago or Toronto's CSA's they resemble nothing of a cohesive city linked to either urban core exept maybe commuting patterns and regional connectivity measures.

The further you go into the cores of either Toronto or Chicago things are far more even in terms of population density and general built form (Chicago more impressive midrise infil - Toronto more highrise).. Toronto recently surpassed Chicago to be N.A fourth largest city proper in 2013 but they are still city proper's with 2.7m (Chicago) and 2.8 m (Toronto).. Chicago still feels bigger in its DT core because it has been a bigger city for a much longer period of time, though Toronto's been building mad crazy in the last decade so by 2025 we should take care of that

Here's a link to the largest CSA's in the U.S... Looks like Columbus and Indy are pretty much neck and neck! With Cincy not far behind.. Truth be told - I thought Cincy was the most impressive urban area of Ohio's big 3 including Cleveland.. Cincy's DT seemed the most vibrant and alive and the city the most attractive

Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by fusion2; 12-06-2014 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Looks like they just added Muncie to Indy and Zanesville to Columbus. That is the most likely reason both areas have now surpassed Cincinnati for CMSA population.

Toronto is a great city that feels like a world class city. I am surprised that Hamilton is not included in its metro area since it seems to be an extension of Toronto. I seem to recall the corridor from Buffalo to Toronto is more or less contiguous just like that of the area from New York City up to New Haven. But I guess NF's is too far to be a part of the Toronto metro area.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Looks like they just added Muncie to Indy and Zanesville to Columbus. That is the most likely reason both areas have now surpassed Cincinnati for CMSA population.

Toronto is a great city that feels like a world class city. I am surprised that Hamilton is not included in its metro area since it seems to be an extension of Toronto. I seem to recall the corridor from Buffalo to Toronto is more or less contiguous just like that of the area from New York City up to New Haven. But I guess NF's is too far to be a part of the Toronto metro area.
What are NF's? We don't utilize CSA measurements... If we did - Toronto would be larger than what its current metro counts show.. Any examination of the GTA and surrounding satellite cities in the Golden Horsehoe would show that. You can drive from pretty much Niagara Falls to Oshawa and it is by and large contiguous. Another thing with T.O is that there are alot of protected farmlands surrounding the GTA that prohibit development of these areas - which forces the city to densify (not a bad thing)..

Driving from Hamilton to DT Toronto is very urbanized when driving along the QEW.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
NF is Niagara Falls. Nice ride up to Bruce Peninsula National Park I recall.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
NF is Niagara Falls. Nice ride up to Bruce Peninsula National Park I recall.
Oh lol - Duh... Yeah it is very nice.. If you come back go to a town called Niagara on the lake - beautiful quaint little town in the heart of the Niagara Wine country..

Old 12-12-2014, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 10,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Let's straighten out a few things here, because whether Toronto is a good Huge city or not is not the question.

First, it is certain to me that the OP will be far happier in Cincinnati than Toronto on an income which would have her suggesting $900 per month for housing. If she was one of Toronto's many multimillionaires that you pointed out she would probably be happier in Toronto than in Cincinnati. It is good to be a big fish in a bigger pond. Anywhere a multimillionaire makes home will be comfortable, convenient and interesting. Good for them. But, Toronto is a city where a person earning the average household income cannot even afford a detached house of their own. Put aside if they would want one, that is not the question. It shows that the average person in Toronto is nearly broke in a city where the COL Index is quite high. And, that is reflected by the data. Half the folks in Toronto make less than $68,000 per year. I would not want to have to live on $68,000 per year anywhere, but certainly not Toronto. A person who allocates $900 per month for housing is probably starting from a take home pay of around $4000 per month.

I think the OP will miss the Asian influence of Toronto and that is one place where Cincinnati is way behind Toronto. And, Toronto is to be recognized for a low crime rate. I am glad you and your partner have found a rewarding lifestyle in Toronto. I am sure you are not doing it on an income where $900 per month is your self set allowance for housing.

By the way, Cincinnati is a highly egalitarian society. If you and your partner come to Cincinnati, you will be able to dine in the finest restaurants (yes, we have them) without "knowing someone", attend the best performances without your father having been a long time season ticket subscriber, and if you stay long enough even join the best clubs, all without being a multimillionaire. Very satisfying.
Wow Wilson I'm certainly astounded by some of your comments. Regardless of how much I allocate to rent does not mean you can automatically assume the level of income I earn. You are correct, at the moment we have not allocated $900 for our Toronto living allowance, and the reason I chose $900 for Cincinnati is that you adapt to where you are heading. What is wrong with earning $68k a year? With that level of income a person can live quite comfortably. Having just visited Cincinnati, there are apartments in nice neighbourhoods that can certainly be rented for under $900. In regards to missing the asian influence of Toronto, I must say that the asian food in Toronto is not the greatest.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgey View Post
Wow Wilson I'm certainly astounded by some of your comments. Regardless of how much I allocate to rent does not mean you can automatically assume the level of income I earn. You are correct, at the moment we have not allocated $900 for our Toronto living allowance, and the reason I chose $900 for Cincinnati is that you adapt to where you are heading. What is wrong with earning $68k a year? With that level of income a person can live quite comfortably. Having just visited Cincinnati, there are apartments in nice neighbourhoods that can certainly be rented for under $900. In regards to missing the asian influence of Toronto, I must say that the asian food in Toronto is not the greatest.

I am glad that you are finding adequate accommodations in Cincinnati. I am sorry you have taken my comments comparing Cincinnati and Toronto out of context. They were generalized, not intended to evaluate your actual income. Re-read the entire thread and this should be apparent.

As for Asian food, I am sorry to hear about your experience, but with over a million Asians living in Toronto, I am sure there is plenty of well prepared authentic Asian food.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 10,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I am glad that you are finding adequate accommodations in Cincinnati. I am sorry you have taken my comments comparing Cincinnati and Toronto out of context. They were generalized, not intended to evaluate your actual income. Re-read the entire thread and this should be apparent.

As for Asian food, I am sorry to hear about your experience, but with over a million Asians living in Toronto, I am sure there is plenty of well prepared authentic Asian food.
For me I couldn't care less about the comparisons between Cincinnati and Toronto as we aren't Canadian. Even if there are that many asians here, doesn't necessarily mean that there is good food. The definition of good food is one that needs to be challenged as well.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgey View Post
For me I couldn't care less about the comparisons between Cincinnati and Toronto as we aren't Canadian. Even if there are that many asians here, doesn't necessarily mean that there is good food. The definition of good food is one that needs to be challenged as well.

Well, I like authentic ethnic food. And, if there are no Cambodians in town one is unlikely to get authentic Cambodian food.

But, you will find that Cincinnati has great restaurants and that they are actually available to you, as opposed to having to know someone to get a reservation promptly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati