Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I like NKY. I see far more good aspects there than bad. Nice architecture, friendly people in several areas, some good restaurants, and crime is generally lower than similar areas on the OH side.
Just don't get that. Are you trying to say crime on the Ohio side in places like Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Mariemont, on out to Anderson Twp and Milford is higher than NKY? Don't know how much time you have spent in those areas or what you definition of similar is. And when you get out further north such as where I live in Mason I will put the crime statistics here up against anything in NKY. Where are you deriving these positions from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Just don't get that. Are you trying to say crime on the Ohio side in places like Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Mariemont, on out to Anderson Twp and Milford is higher than NKY? Don't know how much time you have spent in those areas or what you definition of similar is. And when you get out further north such as where I live in Mason I will put the crime statistics here up against anything in NKY. Where are you deriving these positions from?
Well, I used to study the FBI crime stats at the library. Without question certain neighborhoods in Cincy have more crime than just about any neighborhood in NKY's suburbs. Areas of Price Hill, Avondale etc. are essentially worse than Covington or Newport.

I don't equate places like Covington or Newport to any of the areas on the OH side you have mentioned. And again, I am talking about neighborhoods within these cities and suburbs.

Essentially if you look at the areas with the worst crime in Cincy they are worse than the worst areas of NKY at least they used to be.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 02-08-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 AM

610 posts, read 796,603 times
NKY needs to ban smoking

Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM

10 posts, read 12,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Well, I used to study the FBI crime stats at the library. Without question certain neighborhoods in Cincy have more crime than just about any neighborhood in NKY's suburbs. Areas of Price Hill, Avondale etc. are essentially worse than Covington or Newport.

I don't equate places like Covington or Newport to any of the areas on the OH side you have mentioned. And again, I am talking about neighborhoods within these cities and suburbs.

Essentially if you look at the areas with the worst crime in Cincy they are worse than the worst areas of NKY at least they used to be.
I think this is his point: crime in comparable neighborhoods is comparable. You're comparing "NKY's suburbs" to "certain neighborhoods in Cincy." If you compared "Ohio's suburbs" to "certain neighborhoods in Covington" I'm sure you'd falsely conclude that Ohio is safer.

Here's a crime map for the region (zoom out a bit for the whole region). The darkest shade of red (worst crime) shows up throughout OTR, the West End, Covington, and the CBD (although CBD numbers are skewed because they divide # of crimes by nighttime residents, not daytime residents, so the true crime rate is about 1/30th of the reported rate). The highest crime rates also show up in Lower Price Hill (a tiny neighborhood), 4 blocks of Newport, and 1 block in East Price Hill.

Basically the same pattern prevails on both sides of the river: the urban areas (Cincinnati, Covington, Newport) have big patches with high crime in their low-income neighborhoods, while the upper-and-middle class urban areas and the suburban areas are mostly crime-free.

I'm sure that the map I linked to isn't perfect, but I'm pretty sure that the statistics will agree with this general pattern.

Last edited by misterrogers; 02-26-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterrogers View Post
I think this is his point: crime in comparable neighborhoods is comparable. You're comparing "NKY's suburbs" to "certain neighborhoods in Cincy." If you compared "Ohio's suburbs" to "certain neighborhoods in Covington" I'm sure you'd falsely conclude that Ohio is safer.

Here's a crime map for the region (zoom out a bit for the whole region). The darkest shade of red (worst crime) shows up throughout OTR, the West End, Covington, and the CBD (although CBD numbers are skewed because they divide # of crimes by nighttime residents, not daytime residents, so the true crime rate is about 1/30th of the reported rate). The highest crime rates also show up in Lower Price Hill (a tiny neighborhood), 4 blocks of Newport, and 1 block in East Price Hill.

Basically the same pattern prevails on both sides of the river: the urban areas (Cincinnati, Covington, Newport) have big patches with high crime in their low-income neighborhoods, while the upper-and-middle class urban areas and the suburban areas are mostly crime-free.

I'm sure that the map I linked to isn't perfect, but I'm pretty sure that the statistics will agree with this general pattern.
Nice map. Thank you. Am saving it.

In case anyone is interested, I'm safely in the green, fairly well, too.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:47 PM

252 posts, read 349,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
My thoughts as a native Central Ohioan on the state rivalries:

-The vast majority of native Kentuckians aren't the biggest fans of Ohio---many have historically been fearful of Over-the-Rhine----Kentuckians are rural by nature----a heavy black population in OTR is intimidating to them.

- The majority of native Cincinnatians view Northern Kentucky as part of the Cinti Metro area, and don't have any major problem with KY. There's a big contingent of Kentuckians in Cinti who moved here for work, but their favorite college team (Big Blue Nation) did not change.

- The vast majority of native Ohioans raised north of Wilmington absolutely despise Kentucky. Level of hatred in descending order: *ichigan, Notre Dame, Kentucky, West Virgina. I've learned to temper things----but the sight of a blue Kentucky sweatshirt still raises my blood pressure.
I would modify your observations as follows:

1. The bulk of UK fans in the Cincinnati area live in Kentucky. I don't see too many UK flags on the Ohio side of the river.

2. I think that "border" for being an Ohio State fan is basically the Hamilton County line. In my experience, Butler, Warren and Clermont Counties are very Ohio State friendly.

3. I don't know that I "hate" Kentucky. I just consider it to be another West Virginia. Maybe a step up from WV, but decidedly a step down from Ohio.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM

389 posts, read 330,087 times
^^^
There are ~400,000 people choosing to live in NKY who would disagree with point 3.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
^^^
There are ~400,000 people choosing to live in NKY who would disagree with point 3.
Don't know that I disagree with 400,000, don't know that is right either. Just know that KY as a whole has to be competitive with Ohio, which I don't think they are. One glorious KY basketball team does not make a state.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:38 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Don't know that I disagree with 400,000, don't know that is right either. Just know that KY as a whole has to be competitive with Ohio, which I don't think they are. One glorious KY basketball team does not make a state.
Why? They march to a different drummer.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Why? They march to a different drummer.
Yes, and at times I wonder whether they even have a drummer, at least one which marches to the beat of the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati