Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM

113 posts, read 276,460 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out as you go from Mt Adams and head east, which areas have some safety issues when it comes to crime. I know Hyde Park is nice. Is Mt Lookout just as safe? How about along the river? Does the area between Mt Adams and Hyde Park have problems?

I'm trying to pick a neighborhood as close to downtown as possible but that still has a safe feel to it. I don't want to have to worry about running at night or taking my son for a walk.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
if you're worried about worrying about being worried when taking your son for a walk, you're going to worry, to some degree, regardless. however, you might be able to minimize that in mt lookout, hyde park, oakley, columbia tusculum, or mt adams. between hyde park and mt adams is walnut hills (more or less), and unfortunately, crime there is significantly higher.

in any of these places, or anywhere really with any level of population, i'd have to think that traffic is going to be your biggest safety threat when you are out and about.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:59 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Speaking from personal experience and having lived in a couple of really BAD neighborhoods in the Twin Cities and Hartford in the 80's and 90's for a while, I never really had any problems with anyone during my stay's. Conversely when I moved to some nice areas such as Country Club Plaza in KC and then also a rural town in Missouri I had nothing but trouble with crime going on around me and also impacting my life directly. Have had some issues here in Indy too (presently renting here) which again is in an area that appears on the surface to be fairly good but is anything but. I have had a couple of issues at my home in Covington but have dealt with far worse in the other places mentioned.

With that in mind, I would say that it is hit or miss when it comes to picking an area where you may or may not have crime going on around you or impacting your life. Does not matter if the location is urban, suburban or rural these days. An area that may look good on the surface in reality may be anything but. And one that looks seedy may not be all that bad and you may never have a problem with crime.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 AM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Most of the east side is very safe. As pervious poster mentioned, safe areas are Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Coumbia Tusc, Oakley. You could make a strong case for Pleasant Ridge, East Walnut Hills and Mt Washington.

I live in Hyde Park and there are people running along Erie and Madison every morning around 6:15am. I know this because I'm usually in Madison Park with my dog at that time.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM

410 posts, read 587,338 times
Mt. Lookout is just as safe as Hyde Park.
The upper part (up the hill Tusculum/ Stanley) of Columbia Tusculum is very nice and very close to Columbia Parkway for a short drive into Downtown.
East Walnut Hills (where I live) is a beautiful neighborhood with an exploding entertainment district. It is a short drive into Downtown as well.

All three neighborhoods are full of runners, bicyclists, baby joggers, dog walkers etc at all times of the day and into the evening. They each have beautiful city parks.

What you type of house you desire/can afford may help you decide which neighborhood works best for your family.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 AM

113 posts, read 276,460 times
In response to the first poster, I may have done a bad job with my initial post. I'm not much of a worrier but just wanted to make sure I knew where higher crime areas were (like Walnut Hills). Not saying that I shouldn't live there or go there, but just be aware of. I have lived in Cincinnati before, but in the northern suburbs where you didn't really have to think about much when picking a place to live, other than if you liked the feel of it. In all big cities, there are places that you are taking on more risk for potential crime than others, and I just want to educate myself more on those areas on the East Side.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
I am not too good at using the crime mapping tools, but the one that is often linked in these discussions is here:

http://spotcrime.com/oh/cincinnati

See if you can make it work for you.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:16 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarbmb View Post
In response to the first poster, I may have done a bad job with my initial post. I'm not much of a worrier but just wanted to make sure I knew where higher crime areas were (like Walnut Hills). Not saying that I shouldn't live there or go there, but just be aware of. I have lived in Cincinnati before, but in the northern suburbs where you didn't really have to think about much when picking a place to live, other than if you liked the feel of it. In all big cities, there are places that you are taking on more risk for potential crime than others, and I just want to educate myself more on those areas on the East Side.
Keep in mind, that even within Walnut Hills there are vast differences. Aside from the commonly referred to divide between East Walnut Hills and Walnut Hills proper, Walnut Hills south of E. McMillan is of a far different character (ie safer) than anything to the north. The areas that border Eden Park are quiet and increasingly filled with families and people out walking their dogs without any fear of being molested.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
As you proceed east from the Mt Adams location, I feel anything along the hill tops is safe. This includes Hyde Park, Mt Lookout/ Columbia-Tusculum, etc. Of course I am speaking of the hills north of Columbia Parkway. Between Columbia Parkway and the river IMO all bets are off.

Once you round the bend on Columbia Parkway at Lunken Field you will begin to encounter some depressed areas. I hate to include Mt Washington but it seems to have lost some of its historical base compared to Anderson Twp. further east. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Another venture is Madison Rd from the Oakley area out to Madisonville. I recognize Oakley has gained substantially in reputation, I am still trying to figure out WHY. Tract built, small houses, now demanding high prices - interesting. Madisonville I will retain my opinion on, since much of it goes back to my early years when frankly I wouldn't be caught dead there. I know in the distant past Madisonville had a great base. But then it fell apart. I hope they are on the road to recovery as so often stated. But my basic instincts tell me no matter what the quality of construction the homes in Madisonville are beyond a reasonable redemption. This is a reclamation project in triplicate for the restoration people.

Now my definition of EAST is Madeira, Montgomery, Loveland, Milford, and Anderson Twp. before we cross I-275 into Clermont Co.

Amazing how our attitudes change. When I was a kid in Madeira, Milford was another universe. In between was Indian Hill, a not very small plot of ground. So we viewed an excursion to Milford as a trip.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
Youll be fine in those areas OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati